The Future of Firefox?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
avada

Re: The Future of Firefox?

Post by avada »

MarkRH wrote:If you decide to try it again:

Go into about:config (typed in address bar) and set the following to "false":

browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel

It downloads them into the Download folder that you've chosen so it's not random. If you want it to always ask you what to do with them, set the applications in the general settings to Always Ask.
You need, "browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel" set to false, to get back the old behavior, don't you? (if it still works)
Benny Cemoli

Post by Benny Cemoli »

MarkRH wrote:If you decide to try it again:

Go into about:config (typed in address bar) and set the following to "false":

browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel

It downloads them into the Download folder that you've chosen so it's not random. If you want it to always ask you what to do with them, set the applications in the general settings to Always Ask.

I fully understand you can change about:config settings to get the old behavior back (Set browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel & browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel to "false") but that's not my point. My point is WHY did the developers think it necessary to change the "download flow" in the first place. What overriding problem did this solve. Why exactly did the developers think this was a good idea?

And no, from what I'm given to understand is that Firefox will now automatically download to your "Download" folder (Win, Mac) and will download a file somewhere other than the "temp" folder on Linux. You don't get a choice. But I could be wrong.
Benny Cemoli

Post by Benny Cemoli »

Oh and look, with the update to 98.0.1 Mozilla makes a political statement by removing all Yandex, mail.ru and all customization and references to Russia in any applicable versions of Firefox.
Yandex and Mail.ru have been removed as optional search providers in the drop-down search menu in Firefox. If you previously installed a customized version of Firefox with Yandex or Mail.ru, offered through partner distribution channels, this release removes those customizations, including add-ons and default bookmarks. Where applicable, your browser will revert back to default settings, as offered by Mozilla. All other releases of Firefox remain unaffected by the change.
So now I I'm required to update to 98.0.1 to make a political statement for Mozilla? Would love to see the bugzilla page for this change and the discussion that led to this political change. Are they sure ALL of their users would agree with this? And what about those Russian citizens that are not in support of the Putin regime? They're now told by Mozilla to get lost and stop using Firefox? Will Mozilla officials be pulling all the extensions on their addon site that reference Yandex? There's a whole lot of them. According to a search on addons.mozilla.com there are 2,869 results for a search on "Yandex" alone.

Would really love to see the Bugzilla entry for this political stunt. Would be interesting to read. But of course, they don't bother to link to any discussion on the matter.

Just another nail in the coffin of Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

But of course, they don't bother to link to any discussion on the matter.
Exactly correct.
Though, if they are going to do something like that, ought they not post it in black & white instead of hiding behind a dot .0.1 release!

"This is Mozilla & we are removing - BECAUSE..."

Damn, don't be such ... pansies!
(Not exactly the word I wanted to use.)
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33355777-

An old (3 years) bug where the reporter asked & reasons for having yandex removed at that time, Bug 1516732 Stop offering Yandex as default search engine for Russia.
(But of course, considering $$ were in the equation...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

cecr wrote: For the last year or so I've been using Opera more and more and found it better than FF in every way.
I switched to Opera after about 12 years on Firefox. Though, I'd always had Opera as an alternative. Having said that Opera was better for me about a couple of years ago than it is now. Usability regressions but still good enough. Vivaldi is my current number two and is probably the best Chromium alternative for Firefox power users, due to its superior customisability compared to other Chromium browsers.

On the other hand, if you prioritise security and privacy with minimal required customisations, then it's Brave. I have that installed too.
Kevin McFarlane

Benny Cemoli wrote:Oh and look, with the update to 98.0.1 Mozilla makes a political statement by removing all Yandex, mail.ru and all customization and references to Russia in any applicable versions of Firefox.
Yandex and Mail.ru have been removed as optional search providers in the drop-down search menu in Firefox. If you previously installed a customized version of Firefox with Yandex or Mail.ru, offered through partner distribution channels, this release removes those customizations, including add-ons and default bookmarks. Where applicable, your browser will revert back to default settings, as offered by Mozilla. All other releases of Firefox remain unaffected by the change.
Well, Mozilla as a company has been politically left for quite some years. Didn't align with me but I wasn't bothered and it wasn't really my main reason for switching. Most tech has this orientation.

However, re: Yandex, I tried searching on "Ukraine War" and while it retuned rt.com as the top entry it did also return a bunch of standard MSM results.

I then tried "Ukraine invasion." Again popped up rt.com but displayed a link containing the title "invasion" and presented Ukraine describing it as an invasion.

No doubt a Yandex search in Russia itself would be hopelessly biased but that doesn't seem to be the case here. The West just assumes it must be spewing out pure Putin propaganda. I bet 99.9% of critics have not even investigated.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Seems the last few posts in this thread have gone far off track from it's original purpose. Can it be brought back or should it be abandoned at this point?
Kevin McFarlane

DanRaisch wrote:Seems the last few posts in this thread have gone far off track from it's original purpose. Can it be brought back or should it be abandoned at this point?
Bit of a vague topic to start with. I'm surprised it lasted this long!
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If it continues to devolve, we could always move it to After Dark.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I'll use Firefox until it is no more, hope that never happens! I would always want to use Gecko over Blink, it's really the only other different browser engine left! Besides, with Chrome reducing more and more add on support, hopefully that will make people see, Firefox is the better browser.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I'm very curious how Firefox would compare to Phoenix. Take out all the extra features nobody wants, but keep all the necessary browser and security improvements, and see how fast and compatible it can be.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As we seem to be drifting further of the track, I'm now locking this thread.