Firefox display

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
wallythekat

Firefox display

Post by wallythekat »

My computer has a Windows 7 OS. Is Firefox 98.0.2 (32 bit) compatible with Windows 7? Suddenly all my Firefox pages are distorted and I can't fix it. My IE and Chrome browsers work perfectly. What is going on with Firefox?
thanks Walt
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox display

Post by DanRaisch »

wallythekat wrote:I can't fix it.
What have you tried? Does the same thing happen if you launch the application in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Minimum system requirements for Firefox 98.0.2 are here:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9 ... uirements/

Recommend you try turning off hardware acceleration if it is on. You need to close and restart Firefox. Some users report needing to reboot the computer for that setting change to take effect.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
wallythekat

Post by wallythekat »

I had a computer tech evaluate my set up and he recommended that I upgrade my Internet hardware.
Get a new more modern Internet set up. A more powerful computer, the latest Xb8 modem from Xfinity and replace all connections with the best quality cables. Pay for Blast 600 Mbps service from Comcast.
But that does not explain why my Chrome browser displays correctly and operates considerably faster than the distorted Firefox.Is Firefox no longer supported by Windows 7?
thanks Walt
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You updated all of that hardware but did you try creating a new Firefox profile to see if something in the old one might be at fault, other than Safe Mode disables?
wallythekat

Post by wallythekat »

Thanks Dan please explain what a new Firefox Profile means and how do I access it to edit it?
I hesitate to monkey with my Firefox browser for fear of losing valuable Favorites, links and programs.
Do you thinks the culprit is Windows 7 OS, a 10 year old Lenovo computer or the Firefox Profile?
I have never changed or managed my Firefox Profile.
Walt
PS Chrome works fine and some Firefox pages are OK. The problem primarily occurs in tables with text scrunched together, wandering over delineated lines or runs off the page.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you thinks the culprit is Windows 7 OS, a 10 year old Lenovo computer or the Firefox Profile?
It seems it could be any of those elements.

See these articles for information on creating a new profile, which, if the process is followed, will not impact your existing profile or remove any existing data.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I think part of the problem with Profiles is when you install Firefox it will create a default profile so some users will not know about them. If you were forced to create a profile it would serve as an education and identify what is meant by Profile.

For me the easiest way to find the Profile is enter about:support in the URL box and hit <enter>
Scroll down about 10 lines and click "Open Folder".

This opens a Windows Folder view of your profile. It may not mean much as it is just a bunch of files and folders.

When you modify Firefox you will be modifying the current profile. The reason for trying a new Profile is to start with a clean set of files without modifications.

If you select from the Menu Bar -- Help > Troubleshoot Mode this will create a new profile for you to test without any modifications.

If your pages load in the clean profile without issues then it is likely a problem with the modifications you have applied -- such as addons or themes.

When you restart after using the Help > Troubleshoot mode you will be back to your original profile which may be causing the problem.
Last edited by BruceAWittmeier on April 7th, 2022, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you select from the Menu Bar -- Help > Troubleshoot Mode this will create a new profile for you to test without any modifications.
Not true. That menu path does not create a new profile it just restarts the program in what, for years, was called Safe Mode:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Sorry for my misleading statement.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
wallythekat

Post by wallythekat »

Once again I learned imagination is more important than knowledge.Sometimes we get too Geeky.. I fixed it very simply by going to Firefox settings and changing the minimum text size to 16. Voila!! My Firefox browser now displays correctly. There was one very helpful byproduct. I learned Chrome is a very good browser. Thanks for all your suggestions...
Walt