Update Notification -spurious? Linux Mint Mate

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Update Notification -spurious? Linux Mint Mate

Post by Grumpus »

When on line a panel pops up notifying of an available update.
It has a "Dismiss" button and an "Accept" button.
I've been hitting the dismiss button for a while now but tried the Accept button.
It went to a google IP and when checking the extensions/preferences file it had been edited and most of the contents removed.
It seems this has been happening with or without hitting a button and wonder why, if the extensions and the browser are up-to-date
why this is necessary or is it bogus.
Biggest concern here is who is in control of the extensions, even if they are valid and current?
Will this provide some ability for arbitrary removal for mercantile concern?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Re: Update Notification -spurious? Linux Mint Mate

Post by therube »

(I was testing, & in testing, FF 91 as it was, it was prompting me to update, & I politely said, "no". But then on every browser start up, it again banged that damn dialog in my face. [As I was testing, I did not want to update.] And as I was restarting repeatedly, I simply nixed that bad boy.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There's no indication what the update is, not for browser, extension or app?
Dismiss plants a green dot and note in the hamburger list and I haven't found where it comes from
outside of the call to a Google IP and whatever appears to fail.
This is a pure Linux system with no cross-platform to MS systems so it may be some internal fluke.
Apps are set to not update but there is , in /Edit/Settings/General
Firefox Updates
Keep Firefox up to date for the best performance, stability, and security.
Version 99.0 (64-bit) What’s new
Show Update History…
Firefox is up to date
Check for updates
Allow Firefox to
Automatically install updates (recommended)
Check for updates but let you choose to install them

It also appears to be some form of post install/update notification
This setting continues to run for some reason.
There's no reason for the update check for the browser as it shows in the repos.
This would be more applied to a standalone or MS setup. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

I simply nixed that bad boy.
Well... my "fix" (block the update servers) has always worked, but something odd happened recently (past week)...
I was working on a bug, so I was running multiple versions of FF; 78esr, 99, nightlies...

And I put in my "fix" for all of them (I'm fairly certain).

Nonetheless, 78, even though it couldn't know (at least from the update servers), that it was out of date (which it obviously is), did in fact bring up the "update" dialog - each & every time & opened it.

(That's a wonderful behavior to have thrown at you when you're specifically wanting to run that older version, specifically to help isolate bugs in [current version] of the software.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Currently this appears to be happening on the Linux Mint Mate version and not the Cinnamon version.
Settings internally block the update but the Mate version appears to always be searching for updates of something outside of the extensions.