FF blocked by MS Edge

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
APoster

FF blocked by MS Edge

Post by APoster »

Firefox on Windows 11

I just installed Firefox on my new Windows 11 PC, and set it as Default Browser. In Windows Settings FF is checked as the default browser. FF also says it is the default, but it doesn't display on the list of browsers in my Website design app under Site Preview. Although FF was working, I couldn't find the app listed under Programs or Programs (x86) --- only Mozilla Maintenance Service. On my old PC, the website app was set to automatically preview a page in FF. Now, that doesn't work.

While I was trying various ways to get Windows to list FF as the default, a warning box popped up and blocked FF. Now, the icon on the Task Bar does not open FF, and a box opens saying "this app can't open". An Explorer Search finds several instances of FF files, but not as a program. Looks like I will have to reinstall FF.

I'm aware that MicroSoft is trying to force us to use Edge as the default browser, but isn't actively blocking a competitor's app, breaking some kind of law? Anything we can do about it? :x
therube

Re: FF blocked by MS Edge

Post by therube »

it doesn't display on the list of browsers in my Website design app under Site Preview
What is this "Website design app"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
APoster

Post by APoster »

therube wrote:
it doesn't display on the list of browsers in my Website design app under Site Preview
What is this "Website design app"?
The app is old and no longer supported. But on my Windows 10 computer, it always shows FF as the default browser. Now on Windows 11, it shows Edge as the default browser, even though FF is set as default. In any case, the app is not the problem. Win11 shutting down and hiding FF is the problem.

I reinstalled FF; the icon is on the taskbar ; and it's working normally. But, the Web Design app still shows only MS Explorer and MS Edge as available browsers. I could add FF manually, if I could find its path in Programs. Win11 seems to have hidden its location. It's not even in the list of My Apps. A search for "firefox" or mozilla firefox" finds nothing.The closest thing to Firefox. exe that Search can find is "Firefox_pass" in my antivirus.

Do you know (the path) where Firefox installs itself on Windows 11?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi AP,

I usually go to the "Horse's Mouth" for any strange occurrences in Windows.
Try here > https://www.elevenforum.com/t/choose-de ... ws-11.337/

Here's a good place to bookmark as well.
> https://www.elevenforum.com/pages/tutorial-index/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
APoster

Post by APoster »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi AP,
I usually go to the "Horse's Mouth" for any strange occurrences in Windows.
Try here > https://www.elevenforum.com/t/choose-de ... ws-11.337/
On your computer, can you find where the FF app is installed? I have looked in the Programs folders, and don't see "Firefox" or "Mozilla". A search for "firefox.exe" finds nothing. I know FF is installed, and working, but I can't find the Path to its "exe" file. Am I missing something obvious? Or is Windows deliberately hiding the competition's software? Before I ask the "elevenforum", I need to make sure this is not simply a problem of knowing where to look.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi AP,
There's a slight problem re; my Firefox PROGRAM installations...in that, I create a separate folder in a certain directory for each of the few versions I run.
I & many others can run as many as required....at the same time. (To check things out.)

The PROFILES are all in their default directories.
viz; > C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Your PROGRAM files should be in > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox or I think..(Not sure about the correct path...)..C:\Programs (X86)... etc., etc..... (re the 64 bit.)

Also...you may have to enable view hidden folders. (Under FOLDER OPTIONS.)
&, UNCHECK...Hide extensions for known file types.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

APoster

Post by APoster »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi AP,
The PROFILES are all in their default directories.
viz; > C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Your PROGRAM files should be in > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox or I think..(Not sure about the correct path...)..C:\Programs (X86)... etc., etc..... (re the 64 bit.)

Also...you may have to enable view hidden folders. (Under FOLDER OPTIONS.)
&, UNCHECK...Hide extensions for known file types.
Limpet
Thanks for the suggestions.
I turned-on "Show Hidden Files"
I looked under "C:\Users\MyUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles", and didn't find Mozilla or Firefox.
I looked in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" and "Program Files (X86)" and found all of my programs -- including Thunderbird -- but no sign of Firefox.
I found the program files for another browser competitor "Chrome", but nothing about Firefox.

Even though I can find no sign of its exe file, Firefox is working properly. But I need the path for use in a different program. I guess, I'll have to go back again to MS support.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

How do you start firefox?
If an Icon you can view the properties by right click and select Properties -- it will tell you
If by the start menu you can mouse over the firefox item (don't click) and it will show you in a "bubble".
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
APoster

Post by APoster »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:How do you start firefox?
If an Icon you can view the properties by right click and select Properties -- it will tell you
If by the start menu you can mouse over the firefox item (don't click) and it will show you in a "bubble".
Bruce
Right click on FF icon on task bar does not show "Properties".
Start Menu does not show an icon for FF under "Recommended", but it is listed under "all apps".
FF is working, but Windows seems to deny that it exists.
BTW, I had to "reinstall" FF after Windows shut it down arbitrarily, a week ago. I don't know if "reinstall" in the MS Store is different from the original "install". Maybe I should install FF from some non-MS site. I'm getting paranoid about MS anti-browser tactics.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Q?

Is the original Firefox one from the MS Store or from mozilla.org?
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

If from MS Store....can you un-install it.....safely?
ie; Not lose any info.

Maybe backup the PROFILE?

Install the "new" one in the C:\ drive...Programs.
You can get a 64 bit version....
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... op-release

BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Start Menu does not show an icon for FF under "Recommended", but it is listed under "all apps".

FF is working, but Windows seems to deny that it exists.
BTW, I had to "reinstall" FF after Windows shut it down arbitrarily, a week ago. I don't know if "reinstall" in the MS Store is different from the original "install". Maybe I should install FF from some non-MS site. I'm getting paranoid about MS anti-browser tactics.
You should probably take LIMPET235's advice and reinstall Firefox. I don't think you would hurt or lose anything if you just download a new installation package for Firefox and run the installer. It will likely find the "other" Firefox and overwrite it.

My suggestion was left click on the "Start" button
Mouse over the "Programs" item
Locate Firefox (if it exists in the menu listing) -- it should show the path to the installation directory.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
APoster

Post by APoster »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:
My suggestion was left click on the "Start" button
Mouse over the "Programs" item
Locate Firefox (if it exists in the menu listing) -- it should show the path to the installation directory.
I did as you suggested, and Firefox did appear on the list of Apps. But I couldn't find the path anywhere. I clicked the "Move" option, hoping it would show the current location. But no.

I only need the path to set FF as a default browser in my Website app, for previews in the browser.

I assumed that the Microsoft App Store was a safe place to get the FF installer. It works, but its location seems to be hidden. So, this time I'll download FF, directly from Mozilla, and see if it will indicate the installation path, and location on drive C.

PS__I downloaded the FF installer from the Mozilla site, and it instantly installed. Didn't ask me where I wanted to put it. But this time Mozilla Firefox does appear under Programs. So, I now know the path. It didn't overwrite the other installation though. Consequently, now I have two FF apps. The new one offers to install my bookmarks from Edge, but not from the other FF. Before I delete FF1, I'll have to figure out how to get my bookmarks into FF2. At least, now I can set FF as my Preview browser in the website design app. Whew!

PPS__The new FF2 has synced my Bookmarks. But I can only see the BM menu by clicking on Manage Bookmarks. On my old PC I kept the BM menu always open. In FF1 (from Microsoft), the BM menu is in a tab. But, in FF2 (from Mozilla) I can't find a way to make Bookmarks quickly accessible. Any suggestions?
Last edited by APoster on August 1st, 2022, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

APoster

Post by APoster »

Thanks, I did import Bookmarks from the FF account. But now I have a new problem, described in a postscript in the previous reply to Bruce. The bookmarks are synced, but I can't find a way to make the menu immediately accessible witout a lot of clicks. I used to keep the menu always open. Is that not possible in the current version (103.0.1)?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sorry but I cannot say, as I'm not running the latest version/s just yet.

I think it used to be....View > Sidebar > Bookmarks.

&...If you require to find any Bookmark in a folder there's a good little extension for that.

> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ch-plus-2/