Google search engine is now default in FF 104.0.2

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tuagam

Google search engine is now default in FF 104.0.2

Post by tuagam »

Today I updated my FF to 104.0.2 and all of my search requests now go through google search engine. It is now all the way at the top in the search shortcuts (Settings -> Search). I can only disable it but cannot remove it like I used to. If I click on Google, the "Remove" button is disabled (greyed out). I can however remove all other search engines like bing, duckduckgo, etc. Disabling has no effect because all search requests still go through google. Is this a new thing in FF starting with 104.0.2? I don't see this behaviour in 104.0.1. I don't want anything to do with Google and if that search engine is forced, I am afraid I'm done with FF. I realize Google offers FF hundreds of millions of dollars a year now and FF has to appease its master. If this is not a bug, nice knowing FF. I've been using the browser for over 15 years!
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Google search engine is now default in FF 104.0.2

Post by malliz »

So what search engine do you use?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@tuagam - The default search engines can be removed or edited using /tools/options/search or /edit/settings/search.
You can also remove search engines in the extensions-preferences.json file in your user profile.
Your comment is inaccurate.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tuagam

Post by tuagam »

My apologies to FF. I think I kind of overreacted. Please ignore what I said because it is partly incorrect.

In settings -> search, if you selected Google in the drop down box below the "Default Search Engine" heading and then try to remove it from the "Search Shortcuts" box which is what I was doing, you are not going to be able remove it from the search shortcut box. You can ONLY disable google from showing in the address bar suggestion and the "Remove" button is greyed out. So basically whatever you selected as your default search engine in the dropdown box cannot be removed from the "Search Shorcuts" box which makes perfect sense. Sorry my bad.
trouville

Post by trouville »

Removing is simple adding at least on my current vs impossible..unless someone has the answer to add startpage for example
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

I installed the StartPage extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... te-search/

That page says:
"This add-on is not actively monitored for security by Mozilla. Make sure you trust it before installing."

I've been using it for quite some time without incident.