Funny bookmark sorting story

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ck42

Funny bookmark sorting story

Post by ck42 »

I was curious to see what all the Opera browser hullabaloo was about so I installed the latest B2 that came out the other day.

Got my bookmarks imported and LO and BEHOLD.....Opera has THE SAME FREAKIN PROBLEM that Moz and PX has!!!!

Bookmarks show sorted while in the bookmark manager but are totally UNsorted in the main browser session!!!

Programmers:

Is it REALLY a big deal to get the sorted bookmarks to show up in both the browser AND the manager????

Seriously....we're not talking about some mundane minor feature here....we're talking about the FREAKIN bookmars. Having what appears to be randomly sorted bookmarks in a HUGE PITA.

/rant
AkiAki007

Re: Funny bookmark sorting story

Post by AkiAki007 »

ck42 wrote:Bookmarks show sorted while in the bookmark manager but are totally UNsorted in the main browser session!!!

I am not sure what you are talking about. My bookmarks and everything in the Bookmark Manager are in the same order. I remember this was a problem with Phoenix like in 0.1 (perhaps just me), but they seemed to have fixed that. I can change the order and placement of bookmarks without going to the Manager, and when I go there, they are in perfect order.

Are you sure you are using the latest Phoenix and you installed it properly?
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

ck42

Post by ck42 »

AkiAki007,

The problem, as I stated, is that you CAN sort bookmarks in the bookmark manager all day long BUT, in the main browser window, the bookmarks are NOT sorted....they do not reflect the sorting you've performed in the bookmark manager.

This is a known bug in Mozilla. I *think* the bug is carried over to PX as part of the shared code.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I guess you're talking about two different things. Manual sorting (by drag and drop for example) is reflected everywhere, automatic sorting (per menu) may be not.
ck42

Post by ck42 »

laszlo,

You're correct. This is how I've currently gotten around this bug. I've had to manually go thru the bookmarks and drag-n-drop them in the order I want. This manual ordering IS reflected in the main window.
Dunno why this can't be accomplished more easily when one of the automatic sortings is used :(((
tetsujin

Sorting alphabetically

Post by tetsujin »

If you were to sort alphabetically for instance using the bookmark manager and then close that manager, those changes won't be reflected in the bookmarks list.

I'd love to sort my bookmarks alphabetically but this is not possible unless I do it manually.
AkiAki007

Post by AkiAki007 »

ck42 wrote:The problem, as I stated, is that you CAN sort bookmarks in the bookmark manager all day long BUT, in the main browser window, the bookmarks are NOT sorted....they do not reflect the sorting you've performed in the bookmark manager.

Ahh, I misunderstood you. Well, I guess file it on Bugzilla is all I can say and post the BugID here so that everyone else can throw their emails on the CC list.
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Bugs have have posted on Moz's list for a LOoong time now. Not sure WTH is up with it...they really seem to be dragging their feet on this one bug.

I've also posted the bug for PX.

Anyway.....the whole thread was simply to state that Opera seems to have the EXACT same problem. Just thought it was rather weird.
asa

Post by asa »

AkiAki007 wrote:
ck42 wrote:The problem, as I stated, is that you CAN sort bookmarks in the bookmark manager all day long BUT, in the main browser window, the bookmarks are NOT sorted....they do not reflect the sorting you've performed in the bookmark manager.

Ahh, I misunderstood you. Well, I guess file it on Bugzilla is all I can say and post the BugID here so that everyone else can throw their emails on the CC list.

Please don't tell people to file bugs for issues that have already been filed. You waste the time of a lot of people doing that. Thanks.

--Asa
xah

Post by xah »

I think y'all are looking for this bug (already filed):

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64272