Run beta and release at the same time ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
xerces8

Run beta and release at the same time ?

Post by xerces8 »

Can I run Fx 1.0.6 and 1.5beta1 at the same time ?
Or at least have them installed at the same time ?

I want to beta-test it, but I do not want to give up the existing setup. (read: the beta should not touch my settings)
I use Windows XP Pro-SP2.
Racer

Post by Racer »

Yes. Most people do this by creating a separate script/batch file (for each version that you want to run) that has 2 lines. The second line caters to the different version/profile that you want to use:
SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
c:\firefox\firefox -p myprofile
azmar

Post by azmar »

Give this a try:

the-edmeister: running multiple simultaneous Profiles and/or Firefox installations
http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/a ... sions.html

Edit: Use separate profiles for 1.0.6 and 1.5b1. Don't use the same profile for both.
xerces8

Post by xerces8 »

So why is MOZ_NO_REMOTE needed ?
If one version is running and the user starts another, it is obvious that he wants to run it, and not just open a new window in the other version.

Is there a bug open on this ? There should be.
Racer

Post by Racer »

The problem is that during initialization, Firefox checks to see if there is an instance of Firefox already running. If there is, then it just uses that firefox. This happens even if you specify a different profile -- which I agree is 100% stupid and there is no reason you would ever want firefox to ignore the -p option -- but thats just the way it is.

P.S. I agree that a 2nd instance of Firefox ignoring the profile (-p) option is a bug, and would vote for it.

When no alternate profile is specified, then using the existing instance is probably the best solution. However, I agree that there should be some sort of version or build date check, and the profile manager window should pop up if the build date of the 2nd firefox instance is different from the first.
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

If this needs to be started as a separate topic, let me know.

I'm running 1.0.6. 1.0.7, and 1.5b1 and have a separate profile for each. I have created the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE and set the value to 1. I have also created three desktop shortcuts with each shortcut's target ending with -p "ProfileName".

Without Fx running each shortcut opens with its respective profile. However, I cannot run two or more different profiles at the same time. If I start one version and then click on the shortcut of another version, all that happens is the first version opens a second window.

Have I missed the point, or is there something I'm doing wrong?
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Roger77 wrote:If this needs to be started as a separate topic, let me know.

Have I missed the point, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I'm having problems as well, I followed edmeister's tip and just looking to run two separate profiles but when I start the shortcut I get the profile manager window for creating a new profile to which I just exit out of. I used the profile switch and quoted the profile to use like on ed's site but can't get it to work.
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

Greg S, the ProfileName is case sensitive. I assume the "quotes" are to correct for spaces and special characters. Maybe substituting %20% for the spaces, if any, might help?

Also, sometime around 1.06, profile names were changed from ProfileName.xxxxxxxx to xxxxxxxx.ProfileName in the Profile folder. Don't know if this has anything to do with it. Probably not since I can get my shortcuts to open correctly, individually.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

What would be the proper shortcut if my profile is named Main Profile and FF is in Program files of course? Also will the prefetch switch work in addition to the profile switch?
EDIT: Nevermind, geesh I just looked at profile.ini and noticed that my Profile name is GregS located in Main Profile folder. But just in case, lay it out for me, would it be like this below?
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "GregS" /prefetch:1

Edit Again: Can't get it to work right. Ever which profile is pre-selected in profile manager is what's going to open up for both shortcuts. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

For now, lose the prefetch. It might be getting in the way. You can always add it back later to check. How much time does it save you anyway, 2-3 sec.?

Here's what I think you ought to have:
1st one:
Target: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "GregS" [this assumes it's not "Greg S" like your userid]
Start in: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

2nd one:
Target: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "ProfileName" [whatever that is]
Start in: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

Firefox tends to remember how you last used and tries to pull it up again. To test, pull up your second profile, close it, and double-click on the GregS shortcut to start.

Good luck
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Roger77 wrote:For now, lose the prefetch. It might be getting in the way. You can always add it back later to check. How much time does it save you anyway, 2-3 sec.?

Good luck

To be honest, I doubt it saves anything and is probably one of those tweaks that's going in the trash bin. I'll give it shot and post back
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Here's what I have and it does not work,
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "GregS"
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p "Fresh"

Same as before, last selceted profile for both shortcuts
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

That was a foolish suggestion on my part anyway when the goal is to have both opened at the same time.

I don't know what the problem is. I went to find the parent lock to see what was there. Discovered it only exists while Fx is running. I'm out of ideas for now.

Roger
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Roger77 wrote:I don't know what the problem is.

Roger

Hi Roger,
just for the record, this should be using one and the same firefox.exe, with two profiles and both can be opened at the same time, correct?
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

That's the way I read it.