Portable Firefox 1.0.7

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Torpark wrote:I have tried using 1.1.1b3 and b4.

The directories both already exist on the drive.

The way I confirmed it is by going to the %LOCALUSER%\App Data\Mozilla\Firefox and deleting the pluginreg.dat, then launching PFF and surfing over to macromedia for it to try to load a flash website, resulting in the browser realizing it hasn't got flash, and writing a pluginreg.dat... which gets unfortunately written to the C: again.

Be absolutely sure of your directory structure, INI, that you have the plugins directory right and the proper plugin there. It works as expected for me here.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
muesli_tv

Post by muesli_tv »

No Portable Java - Sun's Java VM needs to be installed locally as it makes a slew of registry entries, etc. There is no way to make it portable at present, so you will only be able to use Java-enabled sites on machines that have the Sun Java VM installed locally

http://java.sun.com

- J2SE 5.0
- J2SE 5.0 ()
- NetBeans IDE
- J2EE 1.4 SDK
- J2SE 1.4.2 SDK
- J2SE 1.4.2 ()
- Java WSDP 1.6
- Sun Java Studio Creator
- Sun Java Studio Enterprise
- Sun Java System Application Server
- Sun Java System Web Server
- StarOffice 7 SDK

which one do i need?
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

muesli_tv wrote:which one do i need?

Same as with regular Firefox... the Sun JVM:
http://java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
muesli_tv

Post by muesli_tv »

cheers m8 :D keep up excellent work!
Bacon_King

not connecting

Post by Bacon_King »

I am having a problem with firfox, whenever I open it it comes with a message that says it can't connect to a website i've tried multiple websites and the same with each.
CritterNYC

Re: not connecting

Post by CritterNYC »

Bacon_King wrote:I am having a problem with firfox, whenever I open it it comes with a message that says it can't connect to a website i've tried multiple websites and the same with each.

If it's a problem with regular Firefox, this isn't the appropriate topic. If it's portable firefox... can a locally installed Firefox work on this machine? Are you behind a firewall?
TryingToDeleteAcc

Post by TryingToDeleteAcc »

This is interesting and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have my .ini file setup as follows:
[PortableFirefox]
FirefoxDirectory=firefox
ProfileDirectory=profile
PluginsDirectory=plugins
AppDataDirectory=appdata
UserProfileDirectory=userprofile
AdditionalParameters=
AllowMultipleInstances=true
SkipChromeFix=false
SkipCompregFix=false
WaitForFirefox=true
FirefoxExecutable=firefox.exe

and am using Launcher 1.1.1.1 B4.

My issue is regarding plugins. As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I wanted to be able to turn off certain plugins ( >( Damned PDFs ). I found the work-around to get the Plugin listing to show up, but when I check a plug-in off (thus telling Firefox to give the Download prompt instead of running the application) the option does not stay between computers. So when I load my PFF up on another machine, the plugins are all activated by default. Then when I get back to the original Machine, all plug-ins are active again.

Anyone else having this type of issue, or at least able to recreate the issue?

~Sliver
mlthorne

Post by mlthorne »

I don't know which workaround you are using, but you might try this extension: http://mozilla.isc.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... _download/
it seems to work pretty well with PFF. In a pinch it could probably be moddified to work for other filetypes

I have a quesiton though. my .ini actually looks identical to yours. I also have a folder(s) called appdata and one called userprofile in the portableFirefox folder (the same folder that contains the firefox folder and the profile folder). But Like Torpark mentioned earlier PFF still writes to the %userprofile%\applic~1\mozilla\ folder. Are my folders in the right place?

-=Matt=-
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Ok... 5th time's a charm. There were a couple bugs that prevented the environment variables from working correctly in a couple instances. I think I've nailed them down. Here's beta 5:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portab ... _beta5.zip
Last edited by CritterNYC on October 7th, 2005, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlthorne

re: 5th tims a charm

Post by mlthorne »

Is it just me or does that file still say it is Beta 4?

:-P
mlthorne

Post by mlthorne »

Yah!!! it works. oh I changed the name of the file in the link to:

That should pull the correct file.
thanks critter. it works great now.
TryingToDeleteAcc

Crit, please look at this image:

http://thisdump.com/imgs/slivers_struct.jpg

It seems that alot of stuff is happening when we use the userprofile.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

mlthorne wrote:Yah!!! it works. oh I changed the name of the file in the link to:

That should pull the correct file.
thanks critter. it works great now.

Yeah, that was me copying and pasting and forgetting to update the actual link.

Glad it's working as expected. If Sliver's testing works as well, I'll be releasing PFF 1.0.7 Final and and moving this launcher into my other 5 apps as well. I got 2 OpenOffice.org releases and an AbiWord release awaiting this new launcher :)
TryingToDeleteAcc

Sry Crit that was all based on B4, was writing the post as you were posting the update.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Sliver wrote:Sry Crit that was all based on B4, was writing the post as you were posting the update.

Hmm... that's odd. Only PFF should be seeing that environment variable. Beta4 shouldn't be doing that.