Toolbar Shortcuts

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
autumnriver

Toolbar Shortcuts

Post by autumnriver »

OK, you've heard it before, but please enlightmen me.

If I place a shortcut to an executable file on the toolbar and click it, it launches the windows "save as" window, rather than the program it is supposed to. I use WIN98SE.

Why can't it just function like a normal shortcut and launch the file or program?

autumn
Stefan

Re: Toolbar Shortcuts

Post by Stefan »

autumnriver wrote:Why can't it just function like a normal shortcut and launch the file or program?

Becuse it would make cr/hackers and viruswriters all over the world sing and dance in joy since they could now easily break into your computer.
autumnriver

Toolbars

Post by autumnriver »

Not so.

I have this feature on other programs without difficulty. Also I have two firewalls.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Why don't you use these other programs as local program starters then and let Phoenix do what it does best: browse the web?
autumnriver

Post by autumnriver »

That begs the questions. If I can place the shortcut into the toolbar, why can't it function. why does it open the "save as dialogue" which is senseless. to say the least.

Huh??
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

autumnriver wrote:That begs the questions. If I can place the shortcut into the toolbar, why can't it function. why does it open the "save as dialogue" which is senseless. to say the least.

Huh??

Sounds like Phoenix is being very consistent in its behavior. If you clicked the link on a website, it'd prompt you. The shortcut does the same thing. Looks like a good idea to me, and makes perfect sense.
Stefan

Re: Toolbars

Post by Stefan »

autumnriver wrote:Not so.

I have this feature on other programs without difficulty. Also I have two firewalls.

Well, if your other software weren't so buggy in the first place you wouldn't need 2 firewalls.

BTW, Win98SE has something called Quick-launch-bar where you can put shortcuts to all your programs without creating possible loopholes for viruses.
Additionally this shortcur-bar is also available even when Phoenix is not running.
Goldzilla

Launching programs from Phoenix

Post by Goldzilla »

Get ContextMenu Extensions. It allows you to launch applications from the Extensions Menu or the Context Menu. You can move Applications launches to the Context Menu or a submenu under Applications. You can also pass arguments to the program. And you can set up a shortcut key.

If you need data off the web page, you can create a custom script to get what you need from the page and pass it to your application [you can launch it in a custom script too] using a param or write out the information to a file and have the application operate on the file.

Note that only the Beta version works with Phoenix at this time. This is the version that I use on Mozilla and Phoenix though I only use Mozilla when Phoenix is broken these days. I have a ContextMenu Extensions in the Extensions Forum and provide updates there as to the current state of the Beta. In generaly, I usually launch applications from Phoenix as I like the presentation of my common applications better in Phoenix than how they're set up with the START menu.
djst

Post by djst »

Stefan wrote:
autumnriver wrote:Why can't it just function like a normal shortcut and launch the file or program?

Becuse it would make cr/hackers and viruswriters all over the world sing and dance in joy since they could now easily break into your computer.

What about .msi files? Phoenix allows you to launch those files without asking. :roll:
scratch

Post by scratch »

djst wrote:What about .msi files? Phoenix allows you to launch those files without asking. :roll:

It'll ask the first time though, you have to uncheck the checkbox to make it not ask the next time.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

djst wrote:
Stefan wrote:

What about .msi files?

Have you checked if there is an open bug for it?
autumnriver

Post by autumnriver »

Well, OK. If you like to tweak etc, the extensions route may be the answer. But the simple, yes simple, solution would be to write code for which clicking on an icon would do just what it would do on your desktop, to wit:

If it's a url, it would open the browser window to that URL.

If it's a file on your PC, it would open that.

If it's an exe file, it would execute it.

But, that may be too simple. (WIN95 etc have done it for years.)

Added plus: one, just one, click to get what you want.
autumnriver

Post by autumnriver »

OK, I understand that if you click on a jpg, txt, exe etc etc file in a browser window, the logical response is the save as menu. But, fellas, this is not logical for a command button on the toolbar. Better to have it use normal windows functions: click on a shortcut, and it does just what the shortcut should do...go to whatever it's linked to and open/execute it.

Powerdesk, a very well written program, does just this for exe shortcuts the user can add and customize on a toolbar. Very very handy.

Just the views of a user here, not a coder or tweaker.

-autumn
asa

Post by asa »

autumnriver wrote:But, fellas, this is not logical for a command button on the toolbar.

I'd argue that a "command button" for launching other applications on a browser toolbar is not logical. The browser hasn't replaced the desktop just yet.

--Asa
scratch

Post by scratch »

asa wrote:
autumnriver wrote:But, fellas, this is not logical for a command button on the toolbar.

I'd argue that a "command button" for launching other applications on a browser toolbar is not logical. The browser hasn't replaced the desktop just yet.

I agree 100%. Adding "command buttons" is just a side effect of being able to have bookmarks to local files. By dragging a program to the bookmarks toolbar, you are bookmarking that program. Where do you expect bookmarks to open?