Toolbar Sizes

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Infested Cats

Toolbar Sizes

Post by Infested Cats »

Hi, I'm new here.. so, to kick things off, i have a question:

i was wondering if one of you knew how to make the search bar bigger?

Right now, it looks really cramped, and really tiny.

any ideas? Thanks!
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Step 1: Take the image out of your sig. It's not allowed.
Step 2: Search the forum. There's instructions on how to do it via userChrome.css
Step 3: Read Phoenix Help (link below)
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
ehume

Post by ehume »

Copy the userChrome-example.css file in your profile directory. Rename it to the userChrome.css Insert the following

#search-container {
-moz-box-flex: 500 !important;
}

into the userChrome.css file.

Then open your customization window. Now drag the searchbar up to the menubar. Whan you close the Customization window your searchbar will span from Help to the right margin. Plenty big.

Ed

BTW--don't feel too bad if you can't find the links to where this was covered before. I tried to replicate the search of someone who looked this up for me, and couldn't do it. Searches are weird, sometimes. And: welcome. And: as the man said, please edit your message and remove the graphic from your signature. I'm sure it doesn't do you justice in any case.
Last edited by ehume on December 21st, 2002, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
priior

Post by priior »

ehume wrote:Copy the userChrome-example.css file in your profile directory. Rename it to the userChrome.css Insert the following

#search-container {
-moz-box-flex: 500 !important;
}

into the userChrome.css file.

Then opne your customization window. Now drag the searchbar up to the menubar. Whan you close the Customization window your searchbar will span from Help to the right margin. Plenty big.

Ed

and make sure when u do all that your phoenix is closed. (nothing will happen if phoenix is running)
Infested Cats

Post by Infested Cats »

Sorry about the signature - it's fixed

i noticed that there are two userChrome-example.css's whithin the Phoenix Browser. I didnt know which to edit, so tried both, one at a time, and checked to see if there were any results... nothing.

I'm sorry, but i'm a real noob to phoenix, and maybey you could spell it out for me? PM me if need be (or just make fun of me).
ehume

Post by ehume »

Infested Cats wrote:i noticed that there are two userChrome-example.css's whithin the Phoenix Browser. I didnt know which to edit, so tried both, one at a time, and checked to see if there were any results... nothing.

I'm sorry, but i'm a real noob to phoenix, and maybey you could spell it out for me? PM me if need be (or just make fun of me).

As the man said, shut down phoenix before you do this: The file you are looking for is in your profile directory. For example . . .\Phoenix\Profiles\default\[random characters].slt\chrome. Two example files are there. One is userChrome-example.css and the other is userContent-example.css. You want userChrome. Copy it, paste the copy, rename it to userChrome.css. Then insert the lines I posted at the bottom of the file. Save and crank up Phoenix.

If everything works, save a copy of your file i a safe place. Every time you install a new build of Phoenix you will want to wipe out your profile and start with a new one. So save your cookies and bookmarks files before you nuke your profile. Restart the new Phoenix build and let it rebuild its file system. The shut it down and drop your bookmark, cookies and userChrome files in the apporpriate directories. If you screw up a few times nothing bad happens, as long as you've backed up your data.