Unresponsive Script???

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
schapel

Post by schapel »

Ray Bell wrote:But I see little in the way of 'suggestions'... just an assumption that I know what to do when I see each magic word!

That instruction from Firefox says:

"To determine what script is running too long, open the Error Console (JavaScript Console prior to Firefox 2) and tell it to stop the script. The Error Console should identify the script causing the problem."

Take a step back. On that page, you see two possibilities: 1) It is something that happens on specific web pages, or 2) It is something that happens on many different web pages. From your description, it sounds like something that is happening with many different web pages. The suggestions in that section are to: 1) try uninstalling extensions to fix the problem, or 2) try creating a new profile. I would suggest the new profile. The original article contains a link that takes you to a full set of instructions for how to do that.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

But I've been down this path before... what is a 'profile'? And how does that make any difference to anything?

Again, I'm struggling because I insist on words in the English language continuing to mean something like their original meaning. The language used throughout computerland fails to live up to this and I quickly lose my way.

We established, anyway, that this computer has no extensions apart from that report back feature. Which are actually called 'Add-ons' which I would readily understood. I will delete that now and reboot. This computer is now slowing down dreadfully... I type and then wait as the typing catches up, for instance. Three or four words at a time.

I will add, by the way, that I didn't instal or ask for this 'Add-on'... just like I don't ask for updates etc. They are done to my computer by someone the other side of the world. Why can't I be left alone? It all used to work fine!
The stories of youth, of the burden of time, and the death of devotion. HCK
schapel

Post by schapel »

Ray Bell wrote:But I've been down this path before... what is a 'profile'? And how does that make any difference to anything?

If you clicked on the links I told you to, you'd see.

Please don't give us the runaround. Try what we tell you. Don't just come back and cry "I don't understand!"