[THREAD CLOSED] Portable Firefox 1.5 RC3 Released

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

BPM - thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to deviate too much as the emphasis should be on the Firefox portion of the name, rather than what I add to it. At its heart, this is still Firefox, it's just a novel way of using it. A creatively novel way that took a lot of work and help from several people, of course. :)
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
byzuser

Post by byzuser »

Something I just got to thinking about the name change...

As time goes on, more and more apps are going to be coded to be natively portable (not using the registry and such)... people will want such apps on their flash sticks as well as things like what is currently 'Portable Firefox'.

The problem arises with the new apps not calling themselves portable anything, just a general app name; this 'Portable' suite of apps would clash.

So again I say go for the name change (or hell just change the folder and continue calling it and the site 'Portable Firefox'), for the future of portable... app'ing.

...yeah.
Fubie3

Post by Fubie3 »

I don't care what it's called as long as it's as functional as it has been.

Many of my apps are run from my 2gb USB Key now.

Firefox
Thunderbird
Sunbird
OpenOffice
Trillian
Deep Burner
Filezilla
Drive Snapshot
Roboform

Since I'm a computer geek and work on alot of people's PC's (especially family and friends) I have most everything I need with me.

Keep it comming! I'm loving it!
muesli_tv

Post by muesli_tv »

btw pff1.5 rc3 is working fine right now. but i had to reinstall windows. obviously some registry settings were guilty
stevelam

Post by stevelam »

muesli_tv wrote:btw pff1.5 rc3 is working fine right now. but i had to reinstall windows. obviously some registry settings were guilty

Ouch. I hope it all goes well.
TechDude

Locally installed Java is not working with Portable Firefox

Post by TechDude »

I have Java VM installed on my system and working fine in IE but it doesn't appear to be recognized by Portable Firefox 1.07 or 1.5 RC3.

I noticed that the standard Firefox site FAQ says you need to set a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to get Firefox to recognize the java installation, but I do not have access to that registry key. Does anyone else have this problem?

It could possible be because I do not have administrator privileges on the system I'm running Portable Firefox on.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TechDude on December 8th, 2005, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

When the standard Java installer is run, it sets the registry keys necessary for Firefox to work. However, I believe you need to have administrator rights for this to be accomplished. I do not think there is a workaround for this issue. The most likely fix would be to reinstall the Java VM while logged in with admin rights. If you can't get administrator rights, you're probably out of luck.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
TechDude

Post by TechDude »

The Java VM was installed as Administrator before I ever logged onto the box. Do you have any idea what keys are needed? I may be able to read the registry keys to see if they are there or not.

Thanks again.
drseuss9311

Post by drseuss9311 »

BPMOmega wrote:Hmm... As much as I prefer how "Portable Firefox" sounds over "Firefox Portable," it is your decision as to what to name it (and I'd still download it either way).

However... I was thinking, what about giving it a different name entirely? Something that will still let you use "Firefox" first in the launcher's name, but sound better than "Firefox Portable." Here are a couple of suggestions I have:

Firefox Flash - The main purpose of this is to install Firefox for use on a flash drive, right (of course, anyone could install it on any other portable media; but USB flash drives are mostly easier to use...)? So, that's why I suggest this.

Firefox DASH - It's not an acronym, I just like how it looks in all caps. But it signifies how you can dash from one computer to another, and still have all of your Firefox settings with you.

And that's all I can suggest at the moment.

What about "Firefox 1.5 P"
OR
"Firefox 1.5 Portable"
???

I'm not sure why, but I do prefer Firefox first.
ABP : AiOS : Chatzilla : Customize Google : FireFTP : Flashblock : Greasemonkey : MrTech Toolkit : Coralize (not updated yet) : Context Search : Searchbar Autosizer :: iBookG4
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

TechDude wrote:The Java VM was installed as Administrator before I ever logged onto the box. Do you have any idea what keys are needed? I may be able to read the registry keys to see if they are there or not.

The info was at the Mozilla site. As I said, your best workaround is to reinstall the most recent Java VM while logged in with admin priveleges. It should set the necessary keys. If you are missing a key within HKLM, you're out of luck without admin rights.

This may be an option, as well:
http://gemal.dk/blog/2003/09/08/sun_jav ... _firebird/

Otherwise, post a note in the general forums, as this doesn't sound Portable Firefox-specific, so you'd probably get a better answer there.
CritterNYC

Portable Firefox 1.5 Released

Post by CritterNYC »

Just a note for anyone still watching this thread that Portable Firefox 1.5 has been released. The new mozillaZine thread is here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=352664

You can get Portable Firefox 1.5 at its new homepage here:
http://portableapps.com/portable_firefox

I also launched PortableApps.com, a new site entirely devoted to portable apps like Portable Firefox, etc. There's a full set of forums and a directory of applications (not yet completed).

Best,
John
James

Re: Portable Firefox 1.5 Released

Post by James »

CritterNYC wrote:Just a note for anyone still watching this thread that Portable Firefox 1.5 has been released. The new mozillaZine thread is here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=352664