MozillaZine

How do I undo "Do this automatically for files..."

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ecat

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 8:12 pm

I must have done that with zip files and now they just open instead of asking me what to do with them. My download actions is empty and I cant add anythin. Its all greyed out. What can I do to undo this. I cant imagine that selecting that will commit you forever with that descision.

Lee_Dailey

Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 8:41 pm

howdy Ecat,

more info needed ...
- program & version? --- ex = firefox 1.5.x
- new or upgraded program? --- ex = thunderbird 1.0.7 upgraded to 1.5.x
- new or upgraded program profile? --- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder
- operating system and version? --- ex = windows xp home service pack 2; Mac OS X v10.4.3 (build 8F46)

take care,
lee

Webb

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 8:57 pm

Tools/Options/Downloads/View and Edit Actions.

Remove the .zip filetype. Restart FF for good measure.

The next time you click on a .zip link you will see the "What to do.." box.

Lee_Dailey

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 9:03 pm

howdy jim,

from the 1st post ...
"
My download actions is empty
"

... so i doubt that your post will help .... [*grin*] it's pro'ly a damaged mimetypes file that needs deleting.

take care,
lee

Ecat

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 9:07 pm

Oh yea.

Firefox 1.5

Was upgraded from 1.07

Upgraded profile

XP Home SP2

My download actions is empty. Otherwise I would have done that.

Should I just reinstall?

Webb

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm

Fortunately I have a backup profile to play with so I can be destructive. I don't like the official KB answer that "it's a bug and you're screwed" http://kb.mozillazine.org/Open_File_dia ... grayed_out so I exited FF and deleted mimetypes.rdf in my profile. (You might want to back it up instead of deleting it.)

When I restarted my Tools/Options/Downloads/View and Edit oprions were there with default values. I went to a .zip link and got the familiar "What do you want to do ..." dialog.

It's a little drastic but considering the alternatives it may be worth a try if you back up mimetypes.rdf, which is apaprently corrupt and useless anyway.

Lee_Dailey

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 9:53 pm

howdy Ecat,

given your info, i agree with Webb that tyhe fix for you is to del the mimetypes.rdf file in your profile. exit ff 1st! [*grin*] a reinstall is NOT likely to help at all.

take care,
lee

Webb

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 10:05 pm

A reinstall would probably leave with you with mimetypes.rdf from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile so if you're more comfortable copy this one instead of letting the program create a new on for you. I don't see that this would make a difference - the default is empty.

Ecat

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 10:16 pm

OK well I just reinstalled and as you would expect, nothing has changed. Didint think it would but I figured what the heck. So Ill go delete the mimetypes.rdf now. I backed up the whole profile before reinstall so I should be good there. I dont think thats drastic at all. Compared to some of the other crap we occasionally have to go through to keep a computer up and running. Thanks for the help guys. ( :

Edit:
Webb you said "copy this one" Did you mean to post one.

Anyway I created an extra new profile and it worked properly so I think Ill just copy the file from that one over.

Webb

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 10:21 pm

You know, don't you, that a reinstall doesn't affect your prior profile? Your corrupt mimetypes.rdf will still be there unless you want to create a new profile.

Edit: We're crossing in the mail. By "this one" I meant C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\mimetypes.rdf.

Ecat

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 10:29 pm

Yea I know that now. lol. At the time, I figured I had nothing to lose. Had allready searched about 30 pages of google results and was waiting for replies here. I hate doing nothing when theres a problem. lol.

Anyways, copying the file from the newly created profile woked. Zips dont open automatically and the download actions are all back.

Its always such a simple fix. Well, not always. But this time it was. Thanks a bunch for the help. Happy again.

Webb

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 10:38 pm

It's been fun. I've seen this problem reported dozens of times and the fix is really pretty simple. I just never had the time to walk through it before.

Jim D

Post Posted January 1st, 2006, 11:46 pm

You can also install the Mime Type Editor extension, which allows you to edit the mimeTypes.rdf file in a convenient manner.

Webb

Post Posted January 2nd, 2006, 12:25 am

Nice extension, Jim. I'll keep it but I see a lot of newbies who cringe at the thought of having to install an extension to fix something they think shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Return to Firefox General