Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
berkut

Re: Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Post by berkut »

Steffen wrote:When all downloads are complete a mail-biff style notification appears in the bottom right of the screen (Windows only).

and clicking on it should bring up the Download Manager

and maybe instead of saying "All files have finished downloading", it should display the filename(s).

Also: pausing does not work for me, it only "looks" paused but continues to download anyway
for example: pause when there's 100 KB downloaded on dialup, wait 30 seconds and click resume: 100 KB instantly changes into 200 KB, the downloading wasn't paused, it only looked paused.

Clicking "Retry" doesn't remember download directory for that file:
for example start downloading a file into C:\DL, cancel it, click retry, "save in" dialog now point to desktop folder or some other folder that was used for another download, but not C:\DL.
bengoodger

Re: Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Post by bengoodger »

berkut1337 wrote:Also: pausing does not work for me, it only "looks" paused but continues to download anyway for example: pause when there's 100 KB downloaded on dialup, wait 30 seconds and click resume: 100 KB instantly changes into 200 KB, the downloading wasn't paused, it only looked paused.

Repeatedly? I know you might get this in some cases where data buffers and is present at around the same time as you hit the Pause button, causing the effect that some additional material has been downloaded when the item is resumed. This only happens occasionally however.
pinku

Post by pinku »

I would like to ask addition of one more bit of information to the Download manager as already mentioned somewhere...Time left for download completion.

And, I also think in the context menu of the download manager a retransfer option to redownload the same file will be very useful because, some times while downloading large files on dialup files get corrupted now by that time tab frm where i started download might not be present int that case it will be very useful

That is all
Path to Sucess is plain and simple, Err,err and err again, Less, less and less each time
zachspoelstra

Post by zachspoelstra »

I'm noticing a significant slowdown in responsivness while in the download manager. For example: dragging the mouse across the page (an thus over the download manager) it seems to pause while in the download manager window. The mouse also seems a bit jumpy while in the window. Anyone else getting this?

Is this do to all the pretty graphics present in the new download manager?
Your head a slode
pinku

Post by pinku »

well Im on WinXP Pro sp1 and my config is PIII 800Mhz with 128MB RAM..

I did this i maximised the download manager window. Then, if I move the mouse around the download manager it is fine but, when I try to move the mouse out of window it acts bit jumpy i mean when mouse is leaving Download manager and about to go over to my task bar.. or at top when i am leaving the window to goover to buttons.

Can someone try this and see if the same happens to u guys??
Path to Sucess is plain and simple, Err,err and err again, Less, less and less each time
zachspoelstra

Post by zachspoelstra »

pinku wrote:well Im on WinXP Pro sp1 and my config is PIII 800Mhz with 128MB RAM..

I did this i maximised the download manager window. Then, if I move the mouse around the download manager it is fine but, when I try to move the mouse out of window it acts bit jumpy i mean when mouse is leaving Download manager and about to go over to my task bar.. or at top when i am leaving the window to goover to buttons.

Can someone try this and see if the same happens to u guys??

That is EXACTLY what I am seeing here as well. It is actually happening when you try to leave the red outlined area in the screenshot. The mouse seems to pause on the red line and then it's fine. It's only while going from inside to outside or vice versa.

Your head a slode
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Thanks for the screenshots guys, that's very pretty! downloading now!
RickFriedman

Post by RickFriedman »

If I click on the Clean Up button in the Download Manager, Firebird stops responding. The Clean Up button remains pressed and nothing responds. If I try to close the Download Manager at that point, I get a Windows message that the program has stopped responding. I then have to end the task.

Rick
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060911 SUSE/1.5.0.7-1.5 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Rick, it didn't stop responding for me, but it took around 5-10 seconds to clear my then pretty long download history. That's probably bug 211632.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Some redirect downloads create a window which spawns the download, and these windows contain nothing, could firebird automatically kill these when it discovers it's a download, and not a webpage, like IE?
hariskar

Post by hariskar »

RickFriedman wrote:If I click on the Clean Up button in the Download Manager, Firebird stops responding. The Clean Up button remains pressed and nothing responds. If I try to close the Download Manager at that point, I get a Windows message that the program has stopped responding. I then have to end the task.

Rick

RickFriedman this happens because all files and pictures you have downloaded with previous FB nightlies
are saved in download history. The new download manager tries to show all this files, which is a huge amount of information. So it becames sluggy and it affects all it's function and of course the Clean Up button. Try to clean the download history with a previous build of FB or manualy if you can edit downloads.rdf in your profile folder and install again the new build (but the new download manager is buggy and I am still using 20031125)
Colin Ramsay

Post by Colin Ramsay »

Windows XP (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031128 Firebird/0.7+)

I don't see any downloads in the manager, though things do download successfully. There's just no indication of a download in progress. Clean profile.
http://colinramsay.ath.cx - Mozilla, CSS, .NET
frease

Post by frease »

When I clicked the clear button, it works very fine for me.
jrduncans

Post by jrduncans »

bengoodger wrote:
jrduncans wrote:
Crowley wrote:MozJF already did a custom Windows build containing the new download manager.

look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=37475

Thanks.

I'd like to make a feature request for the download manager.

I would like to be able to input a URL, and have the download manager start downloading the file.

You can drag a link into the window and it'll start downloading the file...

Thanks for the tip. A little difficult with them being separate windows, but still...

However, it still won't let me download some files, as per the bug I mentioned ("The link could not be saved. The web page may have been removed or had its name changed." Even though clicking the link works fine.)

Any plans to reattach this to the main window (a sidebar, or a tab, or something) instead of, essentially, a popup window?

Still, by any means, this is great work, a major improvement. The effort is much appreciated.
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Wow, I'm really behind in nightlies. I think I'm going to build a new one and test this good stuff.
I'm weird, damn