Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
zachspoelstra

Post by zachspoelstra »

Hey Ben,

Are you seeing that delay when moving the mouse from inside the download manager to outside or it that I mentioned in a previous post?

And for that matter, does anyone else get this or could this just be a local problem?
Your head a slode
scragz

Post by scragz »

For what it’s worth, I would also like a sidebar option; but I suppose an extension would suffice.
pinku

Post by pinku »

Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the dowloads manager i cant seem to find it :(

And ben one small thing a redownload option even after the download is complete would be great for downloads that might be corrupted if u can retry the download from download manager it would be great
Last edited by pinku on November 29th, 2003, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Path to Sucess is plain and simple, Err,err and err again, Less, less and less each time
old dn15

Post by old dn15 »

pinku wrote:Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the dowloads manager i cant seem to find it :(

Control E might do it in Windows. (Command (the Apple key) and E does it on the Mac version....)
pinku

Post by pinku »

thank you dn15 :)
Path to Sucess is plain and simple, Err,err and err again, Less, less and less each time
old dn15

Post by old dn15 »

Glad to help :)
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

Hmmm. The highest priority should be held to these issues with the new download manager.

1. Download Locks with large files that are happening to people as I see being reported on this forum.

2. Cross-session resuming should be implemented as any download manager out there has that functionality and why not Firebird.

3. The Pause button seems to rarely work and the download still occurs in the background to a significant degree

Seriously, the whole tab display of the manager sounds nice, but there still need to be functionality enhancements that should be addressed. Such docking/tabbing can wait. I dunno.
Spetsnazgg

Flashget

Post by Spetsnazgg »

hey! My current favorite download manager is one called Flashget, it's for windows, but if any of you guys have used it, maybe implementing some of those features?
~Spetsnazgg
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

neoufo51 wrote:1. Download Locks with large files that are happening to people as I see being reported on this forum.

2. Cross-session resuming should be implemented as any download manager out there has that functionality and why not Firebird.

3. The Pause button seems to rarely work and the download still occurs in the background to a significant degree

1. Huh?
2. That's a new feature. We might implement it, we might not. It depends on the list of work that remains to be done for 1.0 and other priorities. It's not considered a "blocker" since it's not part of Mozilla 1.0, 1.5, or any other browser at present as far as I know, despite how useful it might be.
3. All of this Pause trouble - were people seeing it with the standalone progress window too? I am using exactly the same mechanism.
scratch

Post by scratch »

bengoodger wrote:
metz2000 wrote:Also, would it be possible to have 'Open' as a link from the download manager (like show is at the moment). I understand that double-clicking works for a file open, but if the file has since been deleted double clicking does nothing (so you don't know whether the d/l manager isn't working or whether the file has gone / renamed ??!).

Since the file is actually gone, wouldn't a notification that the file cannot be opened because it does not exist be more informative than providing a disabled link?

my thoughts exactly. pop up an error dialog.
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

bengoodger wrote:
neoufo51 wrote:1. Download Locks with large files that are happening to people as I see being reported on this forum.

1. Huh?
2. That's a new feature. We might implement it, we might not. It depends on the list of work that remains to be done for 1.0 and other priorities. It's not considered a "blocker" since it's not part of Mozilla 1.0, 1.5, or any other browser at present as far as I know, despite how useful it might be.
3. All of this Pause trouble - were people seeing it with the standalone progress window too? I am using exactly the same mechanism.

I was just referring to the problems with retry that some people are having. I myself lost a thunderbird download today and I couldnt retry at all. I figure its just a download window bug.

Also, lol, I never really used the pause on the old download window. I really just wanted to test the limits of the new download manager. If its the same mechanism, then I guess the problem has been here the whole time but only the implementation of the new DL manager spurred comments about the "pause button that doesn't pause." I guess that its just another thing to look at now.
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

dn15 wrote:
pinku wrote:Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the dowloads manager i cant seem to find it :(

Control E might do it in Windows. (Command (the Apple key) and E does it on the Mac version....)

Stating the obvious slightly: Ctrl+e should be listed as the shortcut in the Tools menu. I hadn't noticed it wasn't there until someone asked, as I've become used to doing this for the old download sidebar.

Having the download manager in the side bar would take up screen estate, but only if you have it open all the time. I tend to open sidebars using their shortcut key, use them and then hide them again using the shortcut. One of the reasons I don't really like the manager in a window is that you can't close it again by pressing ctrl-e (or even escape). Would it be possible to make ctrl-e open <em>and</em> close the window?

With regard to my previous comment about displaying download status in the windows task bar when the manager is closed, I agree that an icon in the status bar of Firebird would be a better solution. However, I never notice the popup and style chooser icons when they appear, as they don't do anything to grab your attention. It would be nice if this sort of icon could flash a few times when it first appears. Not too distracting, but just enough to catch the user's peripheral vision (which is extremely sensitive to movement - and is the reason why continuous animations on a page are such a bad idea unless you want the user to focus on nothing else!).
metz

Post by metz »

scratch wrote:
bengoodger wrote:
metz2000 wrote:Also, would it be possible to have 'Open' as a link from the download manager (like show is at the moment). I understand that double-clicking works for a file open, but if the file has since been deleted double clicking does nothing (so you don't know whether the d/l manager isn't working or whether the file has gone / renamed ??!).

Since the file is actually gone, wouldn't a notification that the file cannot be opened because it does not exist be more informative than providing a disabled link?

my thoughts exactly. pop up an error dialog.

I'd be happy with either. Was going to suggest an error dialog. I think it would be better if the files that have gone / renamed were greyed out (or something) to stop people even bothering clicking them in the first place. If they're still stupid enough to double-click to open then pop up a dialog.

Any thoughts?
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

I've just noticed that the download manager doesn't have a button to close the window. I think it could usefully have a Hide button in the bottom right. It always feel wrong to me when an app makes you go for the window manager's close button (i.e. the X under windows), as I know that a lot of users don't use this, or at least aren't comfortable doing so. Calling the button Hide, rather than Close, would also help enforce the fact that downloads aren't stopped when you do this.

Probably just a transient bug, but the "Save all files to this folder" under Tools.Options.Downloads has lost it's text input widget. There's just a Show Folder button, which doesn't allow you to change the folder. In fact, you can't change this pref at all. If I tick "Save all files to this folder", then click OK, then go back into the options, the pref has gone back to "Ask me where to save every file".

Oh, Retry has started working for me, by the way. Yesterday, I couldn't get my Thunderbird download to restart. Now, clicking the Retry button next to it works fine. I haven't tried manually downloading it since and haven't touched the Firebird installation, but there has been a restart since I last tried.
Last edited by max.spicer on November 30th, 2003, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/qa/downloads.html wrote:The link in the notification is clickable if the completed downloads are still present in the download manager list, that is, if the retention policy is not set to "Remove upon successful download".
Does this work for anyone? I've got the retention policy set to manual but clicking or doubleclicking on the link in the biff does nothing.