Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Steffen

Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Post by Steffen »

Thanks a lot to Ben Goodger, we've got a shiny new downloads manager! It replaces the downloads sidebar and the progress windows!

It supports pause/resume within the current session, shows total and downloaded size, speed and a progress bar.
New downloads fade in as they begin transferring. Gorgeous!
You can open completed downloads by double-clicking, or open its folder by clicking on "show".
When all downloads are complete a mail-biff style notification appears in the bottom right of the screen (Windows only).

Don't miss Tools-Downloads and Tools-Options-Privacy-Download Manager History.

Please help testing: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebir ... loads.html
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/qa/downloads.html wrote:Exiting - when the application is quit either by File->Exit or by the user closing all windows, if there are active downloads the user should be warned with a dialog (parented to the download manager, if it is open, to some other window if it is not) that shows the number of downloads that will be canceled. If the user chooses to cancel the quit, the quit command is aborted and the application remains open so the downloads can complete.

This doesn't work for me, there's no warning.
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

And this will be available in 20031126 build?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

It's available right now.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031127 Firebird/0.7+

New toys are fun to play with :D :D :D
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

My question is, how does the "Download Folder" option work? By default, it's set to store downloaded files to "Desktop," but Firebird does ask me where I want the file to be stored in first. Since I don't see any relevant entry in prefs.js, I'd imagine it doesn't work until you set it to something else?

[EDIT] Changing the download directory value has created the following entries in prefs.js:

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.download.defaultFolder", "/home/dtoyama");
user_pref("browser.download.dir", "/home/dtoyama");

So yes, this does seem to be a bug. By default, the same entries should be present in prefs.js that point to "/home/dtoyama/Desktop".
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
unruly

Post by unruly »

does anyone know if there is a build for OS X? or even what build it's in?

Edit: There is. However, no new icon.
Last edited by unruly on November 27th, 2003, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spark

Post by spark »

The biggest boost to downloading would be if Mozilla could do cross-session resuming (Pause a file, close Mozilla, reopen and continue downloading). Doubt it'll ever happen though :cry:
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

spark wrote:The biggest boost to downloading would be if Mozilla could do cross-session resuming (Pause a file, close Mozilla, reopen and continue downloading). Doubt it'll ever happen though :cry:

Don't doubt too hard, it may yet happen ;-) Darin and I are talking about it.
spark

Post by spark »

That would rock! We want to do this in Epiphany too, so if Mozilla supports it we can too :D
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

Screenshots?
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

daihard wrote:[snip]user_pref("browser.download.dir", "/home/dtoyama");[/code]
So yes, this does seem to be a bug. By default, the same entries should be present in prefs.js that point to "/home/dtoyama/Desktop".

Don't be so quick to edit your prefs file. You should (unless there's a bug) be able to pick any dir you like from the UI, using the dropdown list (choose "Other..." to select). This is not new though, it's been in FB since before 0.7.
Pike

Post by Pike »

The reason I can't use Firebird's download manager is that everytime my connection wobbles a bit (which it does a lot) the file being downloaded stops as if it had completed. It ends up in my downloads dir but only partially complete. Is there a bug # for this, or any hope it may be fixed?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I get the same problem. The drivers I use for my wireless card tend to get a bit flaky in poor signal environments, and when my AP link drops so does my download. Amazingly, though, after kicking the drivers a few times, I have seen my downloads resume.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/qa/downloads.html wrote:Completion Notification - when all downloads are complete a mail-biff style notification appears in the bottom right of the screen (Windows). The link in the notification is clickable if the completed downloads are still present in the download manager list, that is, if the retention policy is not set to "Remove upon successful download".

The link is clickable, but it doesn't work (retention policy = manual).
Colin Ramsay

Post by Colin Ramsay »

Ben, I would kiss your face repeatedly if you implemented download statusbar functionality. That would be ace beyond words.

I can hope :)

Downloading my first new FB build since 0.7 to test this new functionality.
http://colinramsay.ath.cx - Mozilla, CSS, .NET