Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

GeraldB wrote:I'm just a non-expert blue-collar type user. I find the new download manager a welcome improvement over both IE and Firebird.

Anything is an improvement over IE. :)
shaftenberg

Post by shaftenberg »

why not make a bookmark to "chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/downloads.xul" and set the properties of the bookmark to "open in sidebar"? found it in another post and it worked fine.

regards,
shaft
allsorts46

Post by allsorts46 »

shaftenberg wrote:why not make a bookmark to "chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/downloads.xul" and set the properties of the bookmark to "open in sidebar"? found it in another post and it worked fine

You can also fake the old downloads button on the toolbar by using the extension with the 'Sidebar Page Holder' thing in it... I think it was called 'Web Panels Enhancer' or something. Still, no substitute for having it really docked into the sidebar.
Ashley Oliver aka allsorts46
mailto:?subject=&body=
wildman

Post by wildman »

shaftenberg wrote:why not make a bookmark to "chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/downloads.xul" and set the properties of the bookmark to "open in sidebar"? found it in another post and it worked fine

This still opens a DM window & shows progress of download in both DMsidebar/bookmark & DMwindow. Doh!

Had to turn off "Show Download Manager window when download begins" in Tools->Options->Downloads

It doesn't fit so well in the sidebar & kinda miss the mozilla sidebar tabs. Is there a way to make the DM icons, fonts & progress bar smaller ?

-HTH Great tip! Thanks 8)
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

Just need to get it to open the sidebar when a download begins.
wildman

Post by wildman »

doeddeldom wrote:
Kevin Ar18 wrote:The download manager window is not very responsive. My cursor moves slowly across it (not at the just the edges). Scrolling the download manager is very jerky. Selecting (highlighting) items in the download manager once again causes a delay and is jerkly. It's like playing a 3D game on a video card that can only do a few FPS.

I have the same problem. I got a Matrox G550. I noticed using 32bit depth i get jerky mouse, high cpu ... using 24bit depth everything is fine. Maybe this information helps to find this "bug".

Ref: Was having similar problems...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 180#379180

I got a MSI/nVidia Ti4400 and am using 32bit depth... may be that transparency layer is causing some performance problems with vid cards. I'll try lowering mah depth to 24.

I found the folowing tips in these forums & changed these settings which helped quite a bit, I think some of these should go in the faq/tips...

1) When migrating from another profile (could installer do this?):
Remove/rename you old $Profile_PATH\8xyz8abc.slt\downloads.rdf file

2) IGAU wrote: To get rid of the Download Complete Popup...
Type "about:config" in the location/address bar and hit enter.
Type "download" in the filter box, and then find the pref called
browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete
Right click that pref, select "Modify" and type "false" in place of "true".
Restart the browser, and it should be done.

You can also include the following line in the user.js file:
user_pref("browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete", false);

3) I also changed some of the Delay settings & left the DM window open, as multiple open/close operations seemed to consume memory exponentially. This could have been related to problems I had installing some extensions, not sure.

Code: Select all

about:config   (filter: download)
browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone - userset - boolean - false (was true)
browser.download.manager.flashCount - default - integer - 2
browser.download.manager.focusWhenStarting - userset - boolean - false
browser.download.manager.openDelay - default - integer - 100 (was 500)
browser.download.manager.retention - default - integer - 2
browser.download.manager.showAlertInterval - userset - integer - 1000  (was 2000)
browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete - userset - boolean - false (was true)
browser.download.manager.showWhenStarting - default - boolean - true
browser.download.manager.useWindow - default - boolean - true
browser.download.progressDnldDialog.keepAlive - userset - boolean - false
browser.download.save_converter_index - userset - integer - 0
browser.download.useDownloadDir   - userset - boolean - false
browser.download.useProgressDialogs - userset - boolean - false

4) I would like an option to dock the DM in the sidebar & reduce the size of the icons/elements... imo, this is a crusty workaround:

Make a bookmark to "chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/downloads.xul" and set the properties of the bookmark to "open in sidebar", then turn off "Show Download Manager window when download begins" in Tools->Options->Downloads

-HTH
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

Any word on when cross session resuming will be implemented?
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

Wow, don't install extensions with the download manager already open in the sidebar!
wildman

Post by wildman »

Care to elaborate?

Yeah, Ive noticed a few gotcha' s too while running in Tab or Sidebar... in general most of my real bad lockups have been related to downloading & installing any extensions (seems this can cause a runaway firefox process in memory). So I've been downloading extensions to disk then installing them AFTER closing DM. Also, only installing one at a time with a Firefox restart after each one, as I read that tip somewhere else.

I have a widescreen LCD & a Hi-Res 22" CRT... so the sidebars can be real helpful at times with the extra desktop realestate.
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

Well, there are several things I saw, first, if a completed extension download was still in the download manager window, eg, you had just completed downloading another extension, it has a tendancy to try to install it again, a pain if your downloading several for a new install, and when I had it open in the tab and installed an extension, it seemed to try to install it half a dozen times.
dreamingxashley

Post by dreamingxashley »

I just started using Firefox, and so far I love it, and all the extensions are fun too. But there seems to be a missing feature in the DL manager. Im using dialup for the internet... so when I get disconnected from the internet while trying to dl something, the manager cancels it... and if I hit retry, then it starts ALL over from the beginning, which is a huge pain. Is there an extensions or something I could use that would allow the manager to pick up the download where it got cut off from the last time?

Opera has it, so I know it's possible, but I dont know what its called exactly....
C.K

Post by C.K »

you can use an external DL manager (ex' flashget) to handle it for you.
the external DL manager will probably be faster and have diconect/continue etc',
it will also work with IE,FF and others
dreamingxashley

Post by dreamingxashley »

Ok thanks, Ill try that. :)
Nentuaby

Post by Nentuaby »

You do know that deep-posting (modifying a topic that's been abandoned for months) is considered bad manners on forums, don't you?
ehume

Post by ehume »

Nentuaby wrote:You do know that deep-posting (modifying a topic that's been abandoned for months) is considered bad manners on forums, don't you?
So why do all those other users tell people to use the search feature when a newbie brings up an old topic?

Just asking. I'd like to know which is proper.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.