Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ssstraub

Post by ssstraub »

[quote="jhaygood86"]This new download manager... Microsoft already beat Open Source to it with MSN 9.0. (In fact, MSN 8.0 had this to, released October 25, 2002).

Doesn't MSN explorer cost money? Why would anyone care about that? It's aimed at AOL users (little kiddie interface and all) and FB is clearly meant for people a little more advanced than that, although not *exclusively* so.

IMO comparing MSN to FB is a bit like comparing Lego Duplo blocks to Lego Technics. Constant frustration and limits compared to nearly unlimited choice, but a little more knowledge required.
scratch

Post by scratch »

See, I've always viewed Firebird as this beautifully expandable barebones browser.
Then your vision of Firebird has always been wrong. What you want is K-Meleon, not Firebird.
Vesh

Post by Vesh »

scratch wrote:What you want is K-Meleon, not Firebird.

'Fraid not. Try again.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Everytime I asked for features everyone told me this was suppose to be a simple browser with tabs and that is it. No shit that people dont need. Well we got something we dont need. :/

-dp-
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

No bones about it, FB MUST have the option to disable it and go back to the old way. If the Mozilla Suite had the option (and it did!) then Firebird must.

Plus, it just makes sense, seeing as in the future it may be possible/better for users to link their favorite DLM to Firebird.

Edit:

Furthermore, we are suppose to be making Firebird slimmer, with the ability to "buff up" as the user sees fit. "Official" (or at least "officially supported") extensions for a download manager would make sense, but not building it directly into the browser without any option of using something more simple!
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Zeron is my hero.

-dp-
scratch

Post by scratch »

Zeron wrote:No bones about it, FB MUST have the option to disable it and go back to the old way. If the Mozilla Suite had the option (and it did!) then Firebird must.
mozilla had hundreds of options that aren't in firebird. we're supposed to put all of those back too?
scratch

Post by scratch »

Vesh wrote:
scratch wrote:What you want is K-Meleon, not Firebird.

'Fraid not. Try again.

firebird is far from barebones. it has tabbed browsing, popup blocking, form management, theme support and ad blocking built in.
Vesh

Post by Vesh »

Those are features I consider compulsory nowadays. The new download manager window? Absolutely not.

Adding:
scratch wrote:mozilla had hundreds of options that aren't in firebird. we're supposed to put all of those back too?

This statement proves you dont really understand from the get-go. Those 'hundreds of options' and features are why I dont use Mozilla. The download manager is akin to those sorts of features I dont want and dont need. It could have been a fine extension, though, for those that like it.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

What's the big deal? I don't consider the new download manager bloat, because it saves space on my taskbar. It effectively consolidates the windows from the old system into one window with similar capabilities. A way to have the old system back is bloat. Think about it. This is why it's better off as an extension.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

scratch wrote:firebird is far from barebones. it has tabbed browsing, popup blocking, form management, theme support and ad blocking built in.

While you are correct sir, notice that every feature that you mentioned is quite basic in design and is essensial to most "aware" users of browsers today, and/or <b>at least has the option to be turned off</b>!

Firebird is all about choice and convience. When a big change is being implemented, its users get to give feedback and help the browser grow in the direction they want it to grow. In the off chance that some users may not like certain things, there is always the option to configure it to their heart's desire (either through a quick and easy preference panel, or for the less common options) so that it does fit what they desire. If they did not want the option at all, they may disable it entirely.

However, this new download manager does not.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

To turn off the new download manager, go to options>downloads> [] Show the Download Manager when download begins.

That's what your arguing, and i really think that's quite silly. There has always been something that displays progress of downloads, and this new little window is it. It displays all the things the old managers shown, in a smaller, more streamlined interface. This new manager suits firebird much more than the old, clunky windows.

Firebird expands with extensions. I personally never want to see the old progress windows again, but if your that desperate, learn to make extensions and plug the problem yourself.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

While you are correct sir, notice that every feature that you mentioned is quite basic in design and is essensial to most "aware" users of browsers today, and/or at least has the option to be turned off!

Let's see:
Tabbed Browsing: Mess with complicated settings in about:config, and more!
Popup Blocking: Like, duh.
Form management: I'll give you that, but it's rather rough around the edges. I've submitted a bug in Bugzilla about it messing with the saving of passwords and usernames.
Theme support: You can't disable this.
Ad blocking: Scratch, this isn't built in! :p

Firebird is all about choice and convience. When a big change is being implemented, its users get to give feedback and help the browser grow in the direction they want it to grow. In the off chance that some users may not like certain things, there is always the option to configure it to their heart's desire (either through a quick and easy preference panel, or for the less common options) so that it does fit what they desire. If they did not want the option at all, they may disable it entirely.

Nope. This is the route of bloated browsers, like Opera.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
scratch

Post by scratch »

Vesh wrote:Those are features I consider compulsory nowadays. The new download manager window? Absolutely not.

Adding:
scratch wrote:mozilla had hundreds of options that aren't in firebird. we're supposed to put all of those back too?

This statement proves you dont really understand from the get-go. Those 'hundreds of options' and features are why I dont use Mozilla. The download manager is akin to those sorts of features I dont want and dont need. It could have been a fine extension, though, for those that like it.

well, this is your opinion. my opinion is that adding the download windows back is a feature that i don't need.
scratch

Post by scratch »

johnleemk wrote:Ad blocking: Scratch, this isn't built in! :p
sure it is: right-click an image and click block images from this server. more advanced versions come as an extension, but this is all that's really necessary to block most ads out there.

Nope. This is the route of bloated browsers, like Opera.
agreed. there are turns that FB development has taken that are away from what I want, but I think it's better to have them that way and possibly switch back with an extension than to add options for each and every one of them.