Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

elempoimen wrote:To me, not making the "2 second" rule adjustable is counter-productive.

It's a half second now, update your build.

And no, we're not putting this one in the UI.
kagaku

Post by kagaku »

Would it be possible to add an option, hidden or on the UI, so that when the latest downloaded file is completed, and no other files are downloading, double clicking the file to open it would close the download manager?

I'm personally starting to get used to the download manager, and while I still don't like it as much as the old style progress windows, I do feel that once it's been tweaked a bit I will like it just as much.
kagaku
We're all just noise on the wires..
PaulH

Post by PaulH »

One thing that just struck me that appears to have slipped away in the new download manager is the security alert when "launching" an executable from the download windows.. Is this planned to return or has it been abandoned or missed out by mistake?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I've noticed some odd behavior that I'm fairly certain I've isolated to the use of the download manager, in every nightly since the first one that contained it, including Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031203 Firebird/0.7+: After using the download manager, under Windows XP, there appears to always be a problem with Windows Explorer.

For example, if I download one or more files, then log off-line, then click on the icon on the taskbar to redial, Windows Explorer will restart, and some things will no longer appear on the task bar; they all seem to be running, but I cannot access their icons, as the arrow that shows icons not recently used in the taskbar tray will no longer appear. I have to reboot to get things back to as close to normal as anything can be with Windows and with me as its user.

Again, I am relatively certain that it is the use of the download manager that is causing this problem. I do not have positive proof, only my observations of the continuing Explorer problem over the past few days with the past few Firebird nightlies.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

PaulH wrote:One thing that just struck me that appears to have slipped away in the new download manager is the security alert when "launching" an executable from the download windows.. Is this planned to return or has it been abandoned or missed out by mistake?

File a bug.
David H

Post by David H »

John Liebson wrote: After using the download manager, under Windows XP, there appears to always be a problem with Windows Explorer.

For example, if I download one or more files, then log off-line, then click on the icon on the taskbar to redial, Windows Explorer will restart, and some things will no longer appear on the task bar; they all seem to be running, but I cannot access their icons, as the arrow that shows icons not recently used in the taskbar tray will no longer appear. I have to reboot to get things back to as close to normal as anything can be with Windows and with me as its user.

What, they still haven't fixed that behavior? The disappearing tray icons thing happens any time Explorer crashes, and has been doing since Win95 at least. You'd have thought they'd have found some way to fix it by now.
(I'm still using Win98, if you were wondering)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

David H wrote:What, they still haven't fixed that behavior? The disappearing tray icons thing happens any time Explorer crashes, and has been doing since Win95 at least. You'd have thought they'd have found some way to fix it by now.

Fix it? Why? I'm quite sure that MS would call it a feature!

(I realize that other things cause this bad behavior--at least in Windows XP, Explorer usually recovers and allows you to keep on working. In fact, I had it happen once today when I hit Windows Key-W, which I have programmed to bring up the file manager at a specific location, rather than MS's silly default method.)

All that aside, I still suspect the Download manager of misbehaving, but, again, I am not positive of that, nor would I know how to prove or disprove my theory. (Ironically, just before writing this, I had printed some information for my wife as to how misleading Aristotle's 'science' is often considered, and I'd admit mine, in regards to computer programming, is at least equally suspect.)
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

It would be nice to have Launch button as well
scratch

Post by scratch »

David H wrote:
John Liebson wrote: After using the download manager, under Windows XP, there appears to always be a problem with Windows Explorer.

What, they still haven't fixed that behavior? The disappearing tray icons thing happens any time Explorer crashes, and has been doing since Win95 at least. You'd have thought they'd have found some way to fix it by now.

this is fixed in winxp
Walter K

Post by Walter K »

scratch wrote:
David H wrote:

this is fixed in winxp

Not entirely true.
Technically speaking, there are two things happening here:
1. Windows Explorer crashes
2. after Windows Explorer recovers, some of your programs don't appear in the taskbar

While the number 1 is a Windows bug (or many), the number 2 is your program's fault. For instance, Netscape 7.1 Quick Lunch would reappear in the Windows taskbar after a crash. If you need programming information on how that can be done, look in Bugzilla for Netscape's & Mozilla's fix.
David H

Post by David H »

Walter K wrote:While the number 1 is a Windows bug (or many), the number 2 is your program's fault. For instance, Netscape 7.1 Quick Lunch would reappear in the Windows taskbar after a crash. If you need programming information on how that can be done, look in Bugzilla for Netscape's & Mozilla's fix.

Ok, I understand that, but I wonder why M$ hasn't bothered to find some workaround, some way to save the state of the icons during a crash and reloading them after it restarts.

Aw, who am I kidding. There's probably a good, logical explanation for it, but it requires advanced to programming knowledge to fully comprehend. Sorry to sidetrack the discussion. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.
Smackfu

Post by Smackfu »

The download manager looks nice, but is incredibly slow for me. I have a lot of entries in the list (no idea how many, maybe 200 screens worth), since I have never had the manager before and have never cleaned it out. The time between CTRL-E and a visible window is about 30 seconds, all at 100% CPU. Scrolling the list uses 100% cpu too. Doing clean-up takes about 3 minutes of 100% cpu, and fixes it so it comes up faster, but the interfaces is still sadly sluggish. This is on an Athlon that this is speedy on almost everything.

Not a very good first impression.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031203 Firebird/0.7+
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Smackfu wrote:The download manager looks nice, but is incredibly slow for me. I have a lot of entries in the list (no idea how many, maybe 200 screens worth), since I have never had the manager before and have never cleaned it out. The time between CTRL-E and a visible window is about 30 seconds, all at 100% CPU. Scrolling the list uses 100% cpu too. Doing clean-up takes about 3 minutes of 100% cpu, and fixes it so it comes up faster, but the interfaces is still sadly sluggish. This is on an Athlon that this is speedy on almost everything.

Not a very good first impression.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031203 Firebird/0.7+

Allow me to suggest that you give it some time to be developed: Given that the download manager is now about a week old, surely there will be changes made in it, along with changes to Firebird itself.
Smackfu

Post by Smackfu »

I think I was running into <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227346">bug 227346</a>. There may be some serious underestimation of how many entries you can get in download.rdf if you save a lot of pictures from somewhere like webshots. Unfortunately, I did clear my list, so I don't know how large that file was when it was acting so badly.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Smackfu wrote:I think I was running into <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227346">bug 227346</a>. There may be some serious underestimation of how many entries you can get in download.rdf if you save a lot of pictures from somewhere like webshots. Unfortunately, I did clear my list, so I don't know how large that file was when it was acting so badly.

Interesting: I was not aware of that problem, but did encounter a similar one a day or two ago. TBE started refusing to acknowledge the favicon--it would not clear the entry, but would accept another favicon--for one of the seven links I keep in my Personal Toolbar Folder. I sent an email to the author, which--uncharacteristically--he has not answered. So, I started doing some investigation, and found that my tabextensions.rdf file had become quite large. I deleted same, restarted Firebird, problem solved.