Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
c0Ld

Post by c0Ld »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
+AdBlock
+ChatZilla
+Download Manager Tweak
dreamingxashley

Post by dreamingxashley »

ni kidding, you get bitched at for posting new threads that already have topics, even if they are old, and you get gripped at if you post in an old thread...

Although this is the first time Ive EVER heard someone complain about actually using an old post and using the search function which is more "proper."

*sigh*
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

True... But seeing the topic and then that image made my day. =P
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

ehume wrote:So why do all those other users tell people to use the search feature when a newbie brings up an old topic?

Just asking. I'd like to know which is proper.

Obviously, because people don't like reading and answering the same questions over and over and over again (which frequently happens).

Searching before posting a potentially heavily-discussed topic is good manners. Reviving ancient threads is not. You search to avoid posting, not to locate old threads to post in.
scratch

Post by scratch »

ehume wrote:
Nentuaby wrote:You do know that deep-posting (modifying a topic that's been abandoned for months) is considered bad manners on forums, don't you?
So why do all those other users tell people to use the search feature when a newbie brings up an old topic?

Just asking. I'd like to know which is proper.

they tell them to search for it because they'll find an answer. they're not telling them to reply to the old thread.
dreamingxashley

Post by dreamingxashley »

Ya know, you don't HAVE to read the old thread, or post to it, no one is forcing you too. *ignores the thread now, that she got her answer*
h2-1

Post by h2-1 »

Searching before posting a potentially heavily-discussed topic is good manners. Reviving ancient threads is not. You search to avoid posting, not to locate old threads to post in.

That's the kind of rule that you can't possibly expect somebody who doesn't know the ins and outs of your particular interpretation of how to run a forum to be aware of, remember the number of visitors here, many may never have posted on a forum before, I've posted on many, and I think it's very reasonable to continue an old thread if it's on topic to the thread.

The solution is to lock threads after x amount of time has passed, ideally automatically. That way the policy of the board is determined by the system, not a random set of rules that you can't possibly expect people to be aware of. That keeps it all very simple.

For example, I came to this thread searching for a thread on this question, this was the top result in google. Logical to assume that it's the one I was looking for, no?
Last edited by h2-1 on January 11th, 2005, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xu

Post by Xu »

h2 wrote:

That's the kind of rule that you can't possibly expect somebody who doesn't know the ins and outs of your particular interpretation of how to run a forum to be aware of, remember the number of visitors here, many may never have posted on a forum before, I've posted on many, and I think it's very reasonable to continue an old thread if it's on topic to the thread.

The solution is to lock threads after x amount of time has passed, ideally automatically. That way the policy of the board is determined by the system, not a random set of rules that you can't possibly expect people to be aware of. That keeps it all very simple.

What do you think of the new Firebird download manager?

I like it. ;-)
h2-1

Post by h2-1 »

I'd rather have it for phoenix, but we can't have everything. But really, I think there is a phpbb mod to lock a thread after x amount of time.

I miss phoenix, firebird was OK, but phoenix, man, that was a breath of fresh air, nothing like it at the time, started at I think 0.5 for me.