504 Gateway Timeout

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
SleepyGirl

504 Gateway Timeout

Post by SleepyGirl »

I've been using and enjoying Firefox now for awhile and it pains me to post this question using IE, but here goes...

In FF 1.5.0.1, I've been getting 504 Gateway Timeout errors. I'll be on a page, any page (has even happened on Google) and suddenly the content will shift right, almost like my browser window is being detected as much larger than it is, and no scroll bars appear. I'm able to widen the window since I run at 1600x1200 and I'd estimate that it's showing all the content of the window (the FF toolbar is cut off too) at around 1400px wide. The status bar shows the following (there's a wierd character that looks like a tiny centered white o in a black box, I'll denote that below as "o"):

<HTML>"o"<HEAD><TITLE>504 Gateway Timeout</TITLE></HEAD>"o"<BODY>"o"<H1>Gateway Timeout</H1>"o"<H4>"o"The following error occurred:<P>"o"Server unreachable"o"</H4>"o"<HR>"o"Please contact the administrator."o"</BODY>"o"</HTML>"o"

This always happens after the page has completely loaded and I'm reading it- IE doesn't have the problem.

Any ideas?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try -safe-mode
It looks like something is trying to connect to a server (gateway or proxy) that times out.
SleepyGirl

Post by SleepyGirl »

Ok, just tried safe mode and modified the network.http.keep-alive.timeout to 600. Same result. :(
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

It sounds as though the browser is trying to open the sidebar, but that is not usually something that happens by itself. At least not in Firefox. ;-) Very mysterious.

It's also peculiar to have an entire web page written to the status bar. Perhaps it would help to block scripts from writing to the status bar? Tools>Options..., Content tab, Advanced... button to the right of Enable JavaScript.
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

Is there a gateway/proxy between you and the internet?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I've seen a post not so long ago with something like that in the statusbar, but I can't remember what it was about and how to look for it (it was an image). It might have something to do with an extension. Pages shifting to the right could be caused by changing the default text-size: if noticed that a few times lately (using size 12).
SleepyGirl

Post by SleepyGirl »

Yes- I'm proxied. (sucks bigtime) This problem only happens at work, not at home.

Now here's something really wierd... I left my machine on overnight (always do) and had FF open on the about:config "page". The strange text is in the status bar this morning! Also, I wanted to clarify about the content shifting right. I'll be reading a page, say boingboing, and everything is normal, then suddenly the content will shift (and stretch) and the 504 Gateway Timeout HTML text will appear in the status. It can happen right away after a page is loaded, or several minutes later- I tend to leave my browser open all day behind other windows. On days that it's misbehaving, rebooting doesn't help. I'm not doing anything in particular when it happens- not changing text sizes or doing anything to the settings, or even scrolling down, it can just be sitting there.

At this point it's more curiousity than anything- does FF keep in communication with the server/gateway/proxy/whatever _after_ a page has loaded? If so, why?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have any live bookmarks? Those are also refreshed from time to time.
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

I don't think there's any problem with your Fx setup - you're getting timeout errors from your proxy. Happens to me sometimes too. Nothing you can do about it unless you can reconfigure the proxy.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It could be that there is a failing DNS lookup from 'something' that is causing it.