Bye, Windows 98

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

webworm98 wrote:
If one of the Manufacture would step up and offered a choice. I bet more people would use windows 98se.

I don't know what your smoking, but it must be very very good stuff. Who in there right mind is going to buy a new computer with an OS that you cannot get security updates for? And that hardware manufacturers don't write drivers for anymore? Not me bud
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
webworm98

Post by webworm98 »

malliz wrote:
webworm98 wrote:
If one of the Manufacture would step up and offered a choice. I bet more people would use windows 98se.

I don't know what your smoking, but it must be very very good stuff. Who in there right mind is going to buy a new computer with an OS that you cannot get security updates for? And that hardware manufacturers don't write drivers for anymore? Not me bud

If the Manufacture offered a choice, Microsoft would have to provide updates. One Manufacture offered did offer a choice of which operating system you want installed. It was either a choice between windows95 & windows 98 or windows98se & windowsME-Read this on a website.

Have you heard of open source drivers?

Axcel216 site has some links to unofficial patches for windows 98/ME
trolly

Post by trolly »

FYI: The newest security update ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 6-015.mspx ) is not sent out for Windows98 and WindowsME anymore. End of support ...
The bug related is rated as critical but it will not be fixed on W9x. Nice, having a system with a known critical hole.
webworm98

Post by webworm98 »

trolly wrote:FYI: The newest security update ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 6-015.mspx ) is not sent out for Windows98 and WindowsME anymore. End of support ...

If you read on Cnet and othersites that patch causes problems with xp.

If it is explorer.exe why is it just now discovering the vulnerability in Microsoft systems.

They way I understand it. They would have to rewrite the operating system to allow the patch to install on windows 98se/ME
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

webworm98 wrote:They way I understand it. They would have to rewrite the operating system to allow the patch to install on windows 98se/ME

Hmm just shot ourselves in the foot did we?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Bazzi

Post by Bazzi »

douray wrote:An interesting thing though is the size of this thread, and the number of views it has garnered...for an operating system that (according to the stats quoted earlier) has a 2% share among users, and is undoubtedly headed for the ash heap like other Windows versions (they have to keep the revolving 'guess-I'll-just-get-a-new-computer' door going).

9 pages is pretty small since this thread has been /.ed
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

trolly wrote:FYI: The newest security update ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 6-015.mspx ) is not sent out for Windows98 and WindowsME anymore. End of support ...
The bug related is rated as critical but it will not be fixed on W9x. Nice, having a system with a known critical hole.

Critical? Simple fix. Block port 139 and 445.
FFgood

Post by FFgood »

I was running 98SE that came installed on my 6 year old Dell box (PIII, 256MB RAM).

It was great. I never needed/used/installed any other MS OS.

But the writing is clearly on the wall. Firewalls, anti-virus systems, hardware & software drivers, etc. will not longer be updated, developed nor supported for Win98. Never again.

This past October, with some degree of sadness, I knew that I needed to retire 98. So I installed SuSE Linux (free, as are most Linux OSes). It was a revelation! Moving from Win98 to a state of the art OS (FREE!!!) that was safe and secure out of the box, that I trust, and doesn't spy on me. With no product activations, permissions, nor keys from Microsoft needed. Don't even need an anti-virus! And it runs great.

Firefox came installed with Linux. Many Linux versions automatically install Firefox. It runs perfectly, just like on Windows (better actually). T'Bird can be used, too. And I also run 6 Windows apps, that I've kept, in Linux.

Win98 resides in a separate partition and I can use it whenever I want. Windows 98 does not need to be deleted. You can have both (and more!) forever.

My suggestion would be to try Linux, and if you like it, keep Win98, too. And escape from Microsoft's clutches.
Enjoy Firefox in either case. With Linux, Firefox support will never terminate.
Last edited by FFgood on June 12th, 2006, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andu

Post by Andu »

FFgood wrote:Don't even need an anti-virus!

I would be careful. At least one cross platform virus was already found and I guess it will become more common.

Well at least the kids learn assembler again :roll:.
FFgood

Post by FFgood »

"I would be careful. At least one cross platform virus was already found and I guess it will become more common."
Please explain the basis of your comment and forecast.

"Well at least the kids learn assembler again."
What are you talking about? Explain.
Handle With Care

Post by Handle With Care »

Normally, I'd stay away from this sort of flame squabble, but will insert my US$0.02 worth. I can't get free support anymore for my telephone with a real dial on it, nor from my phonograph that plays real vinyl. All things come to an end, and it's not as if M$ hasn't been warning of this for years.

On the other hand, many people throughout the world are still using Windows-9x, usually 98-SE. Most AV scanners with which I am familiar will not run on 95, although one still runs on MS/DR-DOS. The real problem, however, is businesses. Far too many of these are still running Windows-98, and have no current plans to upgrade. I know of one fair-sized law-firm that is still running their network on Windows-NT, their stations on Windows-3.x, and their major software is still WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS!

Sure, they're cheap, stingy, and stupid, but those are the very businesses Mozilla is trying to attract. 'Tis a quandry within a conundrum. :roll:
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

Handle With Care wrote:....Most AV scanners with which I am familiar will not run on 95,....
Actually there are several. Just as an example:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5464/lng/us/tpl/v5
douray

Post by douray »

chrisgeleven wrote:Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone is complaining about Firefox 3 not supporting Win9x. Firefox 2 will be supported for awhile after Firefox 3 comes out and even when Firefox 2 turns unsupported, I bet Windows 98 users will be so far below 1.0% that it isn't worth worrying about (and those users have other issues to worry about at that point, like their hardware dying, no modern programs working, security issues, etc.).

Completely a non-issue for probably 98% of all computer users.
I'd have to agree with that. It's not as if tomorrow morning Fx isn't going to be working on Win9x systems. And everyone really does have time to upgrade to Linux, upgrade to a modern version of Windows, or whatever. I've decided on Ubuntu Linux, myself. Wish me luck :D
douray

Post by douray »

Bazzi wrote:
douray wrote:An interesting thing though is the size of this thread, and the number of views it has garnered...for an operating system that (according to the stats quoted earlier) has a 2% share among users, and is undoubtedly headed for the ash heap like other Windows versions (they have to keep the revolving 'guess-I'll-just-get-a-new-computer' door going).

9 pages is pretty small since this thread has been /.ed
For a dying system with a miniscule userbase? It's huge ;)
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

FFgood wrote:"I would be careful. At least one cross platform virus was already found and I guess it will become more common."
Please explain the basis of your comment and forecast.

"Well at least the kids learn assembler again."
What are you talking about? Explain.

Well the virus in Linux won't activate automatically(windows do it automatically) it needs to be activated thats what is saying and is true there is a lot of user that doesn't know how to play a computer and this kind of user can activate a malicious code.
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson