Copy&Paste Info

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

Thanks, this just solved the problem for me.
No idea how, but hurrah!
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

If you're interested, it seems that the file also prevented the tab dragging feature from working.
wordmunger

Post by wordmunger »

On Mac OS X, Tiger, I have this same problem, but there is no pushowxx file on the computer. I also experienced it on my old iBook with Panther.

I did a clean install of the system on the new computer and downloaded a new version of firefox, so it's pretty clear we're not talking about a virus, but a bug in the software.
frankvdberg

Post by frankvdberg »

wordmunger wrote:On Mac OS X, Tiger, I have this same problem, but there is no pushowxx file on the computer. I also experienced it on my old iBook with Panther.

I did a clean install of the system on the new computer and downloaded a new version of firefox, so it's pretty clear we're not talking about a virus, but a bug in the software.

Only strange that removing pushowxx repairs the bug...
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

wordmunger - or it manifests on mac in a different way. You said you did a clean install of the system so I'm not exactly understanding why you're ruling out a virus.

Also, and we need to get a link in here to the more informative threads, there are also variants like popupshow.dll
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

the first post should say that the file on windows is usually found in C:\Windows\system32\ and also that some people are finding files like popupshow.dll not just pushow
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Lucy wrote:the first post should say that the file on windows is usually found in C:\Windows\system32\ and also that some people are finding files like popupshow.dll not just pushow

Updated, thanks.
05/01/06
astralan

cut n' paste

Post by astralan »

First post. I have had this problem of cut and paste for most of the firefox vers. Didn't matter when I installed it or what was on my puter. Recent 1.5.0.2 some manages to capture to the clipboard if I open a new tab, or what I would call wake up the clipboard. I have followed the advise and searched for the pushowxx.dll, and there is not one on my system. It happens on my test mac as well as win. Don't know much more I can say. I will keep following the threads and see where they go.
norphf

Post by norphf »

Hi

I have neither of the 3 files mentioned above, but I have the copy/paste problem.
My belive is that it is the Remote Desktop in windows, on my computer in my case.
I have the same problem on both my work and home computer, and use RDP alot.
[EDIT]
I just uninstalled my Logitech Setpoint and now I have no problem with copy/paste....
[/EDIT]
Hope it helps.

I will inestegate a bit more, about it.

/nOrphf
searchless1

did the search...no pushow's at all

Post by searchless1 »

thanks for your help, lil'mutt.
please keep trying.

lil'o'lady ~ gramma lorraine
flawlessshine

Copy/Paste Problem - Solution discovered !

Post by flawlessshine »

Hello -
I too had this copy/paste issue in Firefox for probably a month. I installed Acronis Disk Director 10 today for unrelated reasons which includes the module "Privacy Expert Suite" and configured it and let er rip.

Acronis Privacy Expert Log File -
<event code="0" id="7" message="Processed: Spy Lantern Keylogger" module="100" time="1146695951" type="2" />

BINGO - Aconis identified “pushow92.dll” as the Spy Lantern Keylogger file component. I executed the Acronis program to handle the found malware and it was deleted. I did a computer system shutdown and the copy/paste function is now functioning properly as I copied/pasted here. I worship Firefox and the community that is actively doing something to overcome Microsoft's shortcomings.

Please see attached background info on Acronis (I do not in anyway benefit from Acronis), and Spy Lantern Keylogger. NOD32 and Trend Micro SpySubtract did not catch it ! I also run the most current version/definitions of Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot and keep Microsoft security patches current with auto update enabled.
Aconis also identified the method Spy Lantern used to transport it's log which I did NOT include here for security purposes. I am employed as a IT tech and this frustration was unbearable until Aconis found it. I have spent hours in my registry and on your forum and in google search engine. Hopefully this will put many people at ease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 9.0 New!
The most comprehensive anti-spyware and security suite for your home PC

Spyware, rootkits, adware, keyloggers, trojan horses, and other malicious programs collectively known as malware, are extremely destructive applications that can be introduced to a system. Keyboard loggers enable criminals to record the keystrokes on users' computers. Aggressive adware slows down your PC performance and delivers unexpected web search results. Hidden spyware programs, you even do not know about, penetrate your system, collect your personal data, and transmit it over the network. This information may include:
Passwords
Credit card data
Details of your computing and web surfing activity
Other valuable data
"Identity theft and financial fraud are becoming epidemic," wrote Avivah Litan, vice president and research director in Gartner Research, in a report entitled "The Growing Threat of Online Attacks on Consumers". "Although these kinds of crimes have been around for ages, the Internet has provided criminals with a wide variety of new, online methods for swindling unsuspecting victims."
Acronis Privacy Expert Suite provides you with a proactive, real time protection against spyware parasites, adware, keyloggers, hidden dialers, browser hijackers, and other malicious programs. Our latest version, 9.0, adds new key features to ensure that your PC is not infected with malware:
NEW! Rootkit removal automatically detects rootkits and enables users to remove these programs
NEW! Quarantine places detected spyware items to the quarantine store before removal
NEW! Enhanced malware shield allows you to set the level of protection you need (high, medium, or low)
NEW! Daily malware definition updates
NEW! Enhanced pop-up blocker allows you to select the level of protection you need (high, medium, or low) and allows you to block many different types of ads
NEW! Internet cleanup utility supports Mozilla FireFox browser

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spy Lantern Keylogger v4.0 for Windows XP/2000/2003 Server ===========================================================
It's powerful but easy to use spy software intended for monitoring all aspects of user activity. Unlike other spy software, Spy Lantern Keylogger works excellent in both Windows XP with Fast User Switch enabled and Windows Terminal Services. It also has intuitive user interface and amazing easy-to-understand Reports Viewer with eye catching reports. This software program is distributed as shareware (that means the essence of shareware is to provide you with software that\par you get to try before you buy , while rewarding the efforts\par of the developers You acknowledge and agree that computer program and associ ated documentation (collectively, the Software ) are owned\par exclusively by Spydex Inc. and are protected by copyright laws\par and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual\par property laws and treaties. You agree that the price paid for the\par Software is a license fee granting you only the rights set forth\par in this License Agreement Upon acceptance of this Agreement, Spydex Inc. grants to you\par license to use the Software, provided that you agree to the\par following You accept, a limited, non-exclusive and revocable license to\par use the Software, in machine-readable, object code form only You agree to use the Software only as authorized in this\par License Agreement. This License Agreement does not convey\par to you any ownership rights or any other interest in the\par Software This license will become effective on the date when you\par install the Software and will remain in force until terminated You can terminate the license at any time by removing the\par Software from his computer and destroying the original\par Software and all copies. This license will automatically\par terminate if you violate any of the terms or conditions set\par out in this License Agreement This Software is licensed to be installed and used on only one\par computer, by a single user at any point in time If this software is to be installed to network computers, valid license must be purchased for each computer on which\par the Software is installed All intellectual property rights in and to this Software are and\par shall remain in Spydex, Inc. exclusively You may make and freely distribute unregistered trial copies\par of the Software, as long as the distribution package is not\par modified and each copy contains the same copyright and\par other proprietary notices pertaining to this Software that\par appear in the Software. If you downloaded the Software\par from the Internet or similar on-line source, you must include \par the Spydex Inc. copyright notice for the Software with any\par on-line distribution and on any media you distribute that\par includes the Software You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the\par source code of the Software. You may not sell, lease, and\par rent or sublicense the Software or any portion of it Technical support is available from Spydex Inc. or its\par authorized resellers under their standard support policies for\par those who have purchased copies of the commercial version\par of Software Capture of somebody's computer activity without his or her\par knowledge of it can be considered as an illegal operation by\par some states or jurisdictions. The Software is intended for\par authorized system administrators, security managers owners of the computers and so on. Spydex Inc. assumes\par no liability and is not responsible for any misuse of the\par Software. It is the final user's responsibility to obey all \par applicable local, state, federal and countries laws The software is being delivered to you Spydex Inc. makes no warranty as to its use or performance Spydex Inc. does not and cannot warrant the performance\par or results you may obtain by using the Software or\par documentation. Spydex Inc. makes no warranties, express or\par implied, as to non-infringement of third party rights merchantability, or fitness for any particular purpose. In no\par event will Spydex Inc. be liable to you for any consequential incidental or special damages, including any lost profits or lost\par savings, even if an Spydex Inc. representative has been\par advised of the possibility of such damages, or for any claim\par by any third party Terms and conditions of this Agreement may not be modified amended, canceled or in any way altered, nor may they be\par modified by you and usage of trade or course of dealing except by an instrument in writing and signed by a duly\par authorized person of Spydex Inc Spydex Inc. reserves all rights not expressly granted here YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE FOREGOING AGREEMENT \par WAS INDICATED DURING INSTALLATION"
URL: http://www.spy-lantern.com/
Author: Spydex Inc Pacific Business Centre 101-1001 West Broadway Dept. 381 Vancouver, BC, V6H4E4 Canada

Category

Key Logger : (Keystroke Logger). A program that runs in the background, recording all the keystrokes. Once keystrokes are logged, they are hidden in the machine for later retrieval, or shipped raw to the attacker. The attacker then peruses them carefully in the hopes of either finding passwords, or possibly other useful information that could be used to compromise the system or be used in a social engineering attack. For example, a key logger will reveal the contents of all e-mail composed by the user. Keylog programs are commonly included in rootkits and RATs (remote administration trojans).

Key Logger : (Keystroke Logger). A program that runs in the background, recording all the keystrokes. Once keystrokes are logged, they are hidden in the machine for later retrieval, or shipped raw to the attacker. The attacker then peruses them carefully in the hopes of either finding passwords, or possibly other useful information that could be used to compromise the system or be used in a social engineering attack. For example, a key logger will reveal the contents of all e-mail composed by the user. Keylog programs are commonly included in rootkits and RATs (remote administration trojans).

Spy Lantern Keylogger features
Monitoring:
Keystrokes
Web sites
Both sides of chat conversations (ICQ, Yahoo, AIM)
Passwords
Applications
Application total time and application using time
Power on/off/interrupt events
Hibernate and resume events
User log on/off events
Reports delivery:
Local disk
Security:
Total invisibility
Password protected configuration
Password protected uninstall
Encrypted report file
Hotkey program access
Other:
Windows XP with Fast User Switch enabled compatibility
Windows Terminal Services compatibility
User-friendly interface
Easy-to-understand Reports Viewer with eye catching reports
Windows XP/2000/2003 Server

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Greg (flawlessshine) \:D/
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand"...
Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)
zip9982

Post by zip9982 »

I have a copy/paste problem too with the newest firefox.
I CERTAINLY do not have any pushow-- or popupshow dlls on my system.
NO new.net and I'm sure I don't have any spyware or virus on my machine.
Any ideas?
norphf

Post by norphf »

zip9982 wrote:I have a copy/paste problem too with the newest firefox.
I CERTAINLY do not have any pushow-- or popupshow dlls on my system.
NO new.net and I'm sure I don't have any spyware or virus on my machine.
Any ideas?

Do you have Logitech Setpoint installed? - if yes, try unistall it... Try the copy/paste, then install Setpoint again.
misterdata

Post by misterdata »

Well, my problem with the copy/paste & inability to drag/drop customize the toolbar has been solved. I was using Norton antivirus 2004 (fully updated mind you), along with adaware, spybot, windows defender, and free zone alarm (all updated) for my computer security. I also ran an online virus scan at Trend Micro Housecall. Turns out I had something on my computer called trojan.clicker (http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojclik.shtml) which none of the above detected. I found this out because I wanted a combo antivirus, firewall, malware security program to get rid of the 5 different programs I was using for security.

So I downloaded a new security program to try from my cable Internet provider. It's a security suite from a software company called F Secure (http://www.f-secure.com/) and the program detected the trojan.clicker virus (plus 2 other unknown viruses and 6 malware/spywares). When it was deleted, Firefox was fixed.
zip9982

Post by zip9982 »

norphf wrote:Do you have Logitech Setpoint installed? - if yes, try unistall it... Try the copy/paste, then install Setpoint again.

No, I don't have any logitech hardware.
No reason to install any logitech softwares...