Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dolphinling

Re: Firebird 0.8 Branch Builds available soon

Post by dolphinling »

bengoodger wrote:- binary files served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled.

At least make this an option, please. While I don't use Firebird as of yet, I'm planning on it but I'll stay away if it starts copying IE and breaking the standards.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

They are making the same change to Mozilla for 1.7. If this stops you from using Mozilla or Firebird, then you're using them for the wrong reasons. This feature is greatly needed to make the browser more user-friendly.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
xm

bug#?

Post by xm »

Does someone have the bug# for the bug covering the handling of binary files served as text/plain?

thanks!
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

Is this available yet?
maneesh

Post by maneesh »

xm wrote:Does someone have the bug# for the bug covering the handling of binary files served as text/plain?

thanks!

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=220807
chizad

Post by chizad »

Hmmm, the text/plain MIME type fix is interesting. I was reading some of the fixes that are supposed to be in WindowsXP SP2, and one of them was a fix for IE to make it handle MIME types appropriately instead of guessing based on extension like it does now. Hopefully that'll finally force people to configure their servers properly.
radTube

XPI FE not working?

Post by radTube »

Using 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031217 Firebird/0.7+' I only get an empty download manager window when trying to install a new skin from http://texturizer.net/firebird/themes/ (or anywhere else it seems...)

UPDATE:
If I've understood correctly the manager won't show up at all if I download something really small... Well I just downloaded a file of a few KBs and it was correctly saved, even though it didn't show up in the manager. Then I started to download a 40MB zip and I couldn't get the Download Manager to show up.
Last edited by radTube on December 18th, 2003, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darken

Post by Darken »

I hope the mime type feature will be limited to binary files. Sometimes you get a html file sent as text/plain by a web server. Firebird displays it as text, IE displays it as html. I really do prefer the behaviour of Firebird. Otherwise with IE you are not able to send real text/plain documents which may contain the string "<html" anywhere in the text. What if you want to create a text tutorial about html ?
TheOneKEA

Re: XPI FE not working?

Post by TheOneKEA »

radTube wrote:Using 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031217 Firebird/0.7+' I only get an empty download manager window when trying to install a new skin from http://texturizer.net/firebird/themes/ (or anywhere else it seems...)

UPDATE:
If I've understood correctly the manager won't show up at all if I download something really small... Well I just downloaded a file of a few KBs and it was correctly saved, even though it didn't show up in the manager. Then I started to download a 40MB zip and I couldn't get the Download Manager to show up.

I experience this problem too - does anyone know what ben set as the limit for popping up the manager?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
radTube

Back to 0.7

Post by radTube »

Started getting random crashes after using the "0.8 latest" for an hour or so... Had to go back to using 0.7 for now.
Old Jeria

Re: Back to 0.7

Post by Old Jeria »

radTube wrote:Started getting random crashes after using the "0.8 latest" for an hour or so... Had to go back to using 0.7 for now.

Any specific url?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Running smoothly here - been using it since yesterday.
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

I had to go back to 0.7 for two reasons.

First, any changes I make in Options are gone after I restart the browser. This is very annoying.

And when I installed an extension, linkVisitor, everything seemed fine, but then I installed the latest TBE and it killed the browser. It wouldn't start. I kept getting an error message. So I tried cleaning it up manually, no luck.

So back to 0.7 for me.
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

Still no link to this branch. Where can I download one of these builds??
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.