Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
scratch

Post by scratch »

ehume wrote:Is there a section in buzilla for fb 0.8?, or do we file here?

there's no separate bugzilla section for different versions, you just file it like any other bug and then nominate for blocking and see what happens. i'd say it's probably too late unless it's something really major though.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Crap. Now every build is making those .bak files. It does not matter which build. I went back to 12-10 and it's filling my profile up with .bak files. Does anyone know how to stop this?

*edit - opps nevermind, it only made one bak file.
Darken

Post by Darken »

scratch wrote:yes, it's only binary files. it detects if there are any non-ascii characters in the file, and if there are, it switches the content type to application/octet-stream, which will be downloaded.

Great ! I'm pleased by this sensible choice. Thank you for the precision.
OpA

Post by OpA »

lynchknot wrote:Crap. Now every build is making those .bak files. It does not matter which build. I went back to 12-10 and it's filling my profile up with .bak files. Does anyone know how to stop this?

*edit - opps nevermind, it only made one bak file.

filling up with .bak files even after changing to dif builds. what's up?
i hope a fix will show up asap.
naughty by nature
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

scratch wrote:
ehume wrote:Is there a section in buzilla for fb 0.8?, or do we file here?

there's no separate bugzilla section for different versions, you just file it like any other bug

That's currently the case for Firebird, but it doesn't need to be. Given the timescale on this one, it's probably not worth it, but bugzilla has a "version" field, which for Mozilla is used to distinguish between bugs in the trunk and bugs that only apply to branches.

This branch build seems to be working fine. The version still says 0.7+ though - if these are going to be release candidates, it's probably time to bump that to say 0.8!
dolphinling

Post by dolphinling »

scratch wrote:yes, it's only binary files. it detects if there are any non-ascii characters in the file, and if there are, it switches the content type to application/octet-stream, which will be downloaded.

So is there a dialog asking you which you want, as the original comment in the bug said? (I'm at school, 4 minutes 'till class starts, don't have time to look through all 90 comments...)
ehume

Post by ehume »

I hope the Win32 zip-building machine is down. I don't want to use the installer. I will wait for zipfiles before I try out a new FB 0.8 release candidate.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
mikelward

form submission broken, links open in new window by default

Post by mikelward »

There are a number of critical bugs in the Firebird 0.8 branch 20031218 nightly installer.

1. Left clicking a link opens it in a new window
  2. Left clicking a form submission button doesn't submit the form
    (for instance, entering user information then clicking the "Log in" button on the
    MozillaZine Forums Log In page navigates back to the same page with no
    authentication having been performed)
  3. Installing a plugin often causes a crash

I expect someone is already aware of these, but they're not yet mentioned here.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

ehume wrote:I hope the Win32 zip-building machine is down. I don't want to use the installer. I will wait for zipfiles before I try out a new FB 0.8 release candidate.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 18-14-0.8/ has a zipfile, but the latest-0.8 folder does not. Ben, Is that because of a script error or because we're supposed to test the installer? ;-)
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

vfwlkr wrote:Ben, Is that because of a script error or because we're supposed to test the installer? ;-)

An answer Ben gave already elsewhere:

bengoodger wrote:Yes... I want lots of testing on the installer. The zip builds will resume for trunk nightlies when trunk win32 builds resume.
bytemaster

Post by bytemaster »

The MIME / Plain Text fix is not perfect, but it is a whole lot better than it was. A friend of mine pointed me to this site:

http://www.rock103.com/crew/vids/

And virtually none of their links would work under Firebird, as they all gave the wrong Mime Type. I was using the IE extension to right-click and open in IE.

Now, they will at least download to the hard drive and open, although, they are not sent as a link directly to the media player, which would allow them to be played as they were downloading.

Still, great job with this long-needed work-around.
Brainbench Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for Computer Technical Support
www.brainbench.com - <a href="http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/transcript/public/viewtranscript.xml?pid=742832">view my transcript</a>
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

The last time I downloaded a nightly, it was from the latest-0.8 directory and it was a .zip download. I've just logged on to two of the mirrors and I don't see a .zip build any more. Is this because the Windows installer version is now the only 0.8 nightly being produced, or do I have bad mirrors?
alcatraz52

Post by alcatraz52 »

My feedback:
  • There's no dropdown arrow on the address bar anymore...
  • Accept shouldn't be capitalized and the default should be I do NOT accept...
  • The download manager is nice but is there anyway to make the indicators small icons? Or have it scale the large icons smaller as the list fills up? They're kind of big for the small amount of info they give...
Waldo-> only the installer versions are available so that is rigorously tested.
alcatraz52

Post by alcatraz52 »

Wow just kind of scared myself...are these only happening to me?
  • If you middle click a bookmark from the bookmarks menu, the menu stays open. But this doesn't happen if you drag a folder to the personal bookmarks bar and middle click. Something to do with that fix for the bookmarks folder problem?
  • Getting crashing and other weird problems when installing 1 extension, and then another
And just minor feedback on the new Add Bookmarks dialog:
  • Is there any way to make the tree list in the Add Bookmarks dialog always open, like IE?
  • The "Create In" dropdown isn't hierarchal
  • In the tree view, there are plus signs next to folders that don't expand.
  • Hovering over the arrow that makes the tree list avaliable produces a blank tooltip
  • Not really a bug, but there should probably be a widget that tells you the Add Bookmarks dialog is resizable.
/realizes ^ are just polish issues, but still :lildevil:
Last edited by alcatraz52 on December 20th, 2003, 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Waldo wrote:The last time I downloaded a nightly, it was from the latest-0.8 directory and it was a .zip download. I've just logged on to two of the mirrors and I don't see a .zip build any more. Is this because the Windows installer version is now the only 0.8 nightly being produced, or do I have bad mirrors?

No zip versions for now, as Ben (el developer) wants the installer tested by as many users as possible.