Help Test Firebird 0.8 Branch!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
scratch

Post by scratch »

bytemaster wrote:The MIME / Plain Text fix is not perfect, but it is a whole lot better than it was. A friend of mine pointed me to this site:

http://www.rock103.com/crew/vids/

And virtually none of their links would work under Firebird, as they all gave the wrong Mime Type. I was using the IE extension to right-click and open in IE.

Now, they will at least download to the hard drive and open, although, they are not sent as a link directly to the media player, which would allow them to be played as they were downloading.

Still, great job with this long-needed work-around.

they've already bent the standards enough getting it the way they have it now, and i think that's a good balance. to fix the "issue" you mentioned would completely break the standard, a la IE. it's simply not going to happen, and for good reason.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

alcatraz52 wrote:Waldo-> only the installer versions are available so that is rigorously tested.

John Liebson wrote:No zip versions for now, as Ben (el developer) wants the installer tested by as many users as possible.

Cool, thanks!
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

scratch wrote:
bytemaster wrote:The MIME / Plain Text fix is not perfect, but it is a whole lot better than it was. A friend of mine pointed me to this site:

http://www.rock103.com/crew/vids/

And virtually none of their links would work under Firebird, as they all gave the wrong Mime Type. I was using the IE extension to right-click and open in IE.

Now, they will at least download to the hard drive and open, although, they are not sent as a link directly to the media player, which would allow them to be played as they were downloading.

Still, great job with this long-needed work-around.

they've already bent the standards enough getting it the way they have it now, and i think that's a good balance. to fix the "issue" you mentioned would completely break the standard, a la IE. it's simply not going to happen, and for good reason.

Indeed; however, in this case the bending is justified. I'm sure the Mozilla Gods spent a long time debating the merit of such a change, and will probably yank it at the very first opportunity.

Perhaps there is an alternative, though; how hard would it be to add a hidden pref, changeable in about:config, which would allow the disabling of this featurea?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

TheOneKEA wrote:Perhaps there is an alternative, though; how hard would it be to add a hidden pref, changeable in about:config, which would allow the disabling of this featurea?

In a word: bloat.
bytemaster

Post by bytemaster »

scratch wrote:they've already bent the standards enough getting it the way they have it now, and i think that's a good balance. to fix the "issue" you mentioned would completely break the standard, a la IE. it's simply not going to happen, and for good reason.

Actually, I was thinking that, since the extension is registered with a plugin (about:plugins), that it might be possible to add the option of using the plugin to your list of choices in the pop-up window.

Also, they did spend a long time debating this. The current implementation simply looks for data coming from the server that violates the mime type sent to the browser. In otherwords, it detects a violation of a standard. If the web developer wants the site to work without the user-intervention window, they should work on getting their MIME types fixed. This fix also allows for new filetypes that are developed to be put on servers that are not in control of the webmaster, and still have people be able to access the content.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I normally run a test build and a workaday build. My wife and I have work to do with browsers, so we need one that works reliably. So I must have FB 0.7 registered when I click on a link in Outlook, for example.

I can test builds only if I can install them without their being the default build. They have to leave my workaday build alone. So, Ben, with all due respect, I can't test any newer builds for you until zipped versions are available.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Waldo wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:Perhaps there is an alternative, though; how hard would it be to add a hidden pref, changeable in about:config, which would allow the disabling of this featurea?

In a word: bloat.

Perhaps.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Tutor

Post by Tutor »

Hi,

my experiences with FirebirdSetup for Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031223 Firebird/0.7+

I launch setup, defaults to "agree license" and "next" works, click custom install, actual installation folder is found correctly. Nevertheless I browse for folder, create new folder but it doesn't show the created folder. I see it in a file manager, but not in the file dialog. So I can't install in a new folder this way the first try.

End of setup the option to start Mozilla Firebird 0.7 is given, shouldn't that be 0.8?

"Save upgrade" removes all folders and files in the installation folder, even if they don't belong to Firebird. Though not the installed plugins, which I think is good. In all I would not call that "save" because of the deletion of foreign files. How about "complete"? And how about to warn "All files and folders in the installation folder will be deleted prior to installation." The actual used wording doesn't hit the nail on the head imho.

I then tried to install with Firebird running, to see how the installer gets around that. Firebird ran as a user with normal user rights, the installer started with administrator rights. It detected the process correctly and gave me the option to quit Firebird for me. So I clicked OK, but the installer could not quit Firebird. It told me to quit it myself or to just click OK, so again I clicked OK, but the installer could not end the process. I got another advice and that the installer would now quit. A last time I clicked OK but the install process did not quit, it just hang with no buttons that could be clicked. So I had to click the upper right close box to end the installer. That actually quit the installer.

Installation of xpis. I cannot install two extensions in a row without browser restart. Firebird acts strange when I try. Foreward and backward work, scrolling the page not. Quitting Firebird does not quit the process, that needs to be killed with taskmanager. This got reported already, just want to state it still exists.

Prefs get saved correctly again.

I'll post more as I find it. Thanks for the hard work, I really like Firebird. It's my default browser since 2002.

Best wishes
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

1. No, it is still considered 0.7; I raised this issue several days ago, there is a long thread that includes this (meybe it is even this thread, I don't recall, nor am I going to take any time to find out. I dropped out of the exchange on the grounds that I don't consider it to be of major importance, whatever "major" means in this context. It will be 0.8 when the release version is created.

2. Installation of more than one extension is also a well-known problem, which a look at the threads, etc., would have shown you. Also, this: http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/ (along with other information.)
clickwir

Post by clickwir »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20040102 Firebird/0.7+

Installed this the day this came out I installed it. Works great. Had to switch from the "Smoke" theme to default to get the scroll bars to work.

Other than that I've not come accross any other oddities. Great job!
timon

Post by timon »

Bug in: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040110 Firebird/0.8.0+

In the new download manager you can not pause the download when you clicked cancel and retry.

(sorry if this is already noticed)

-- Timon
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

This has been reported a few times, but always good to see someone piping up about it so the rest of us don't feel alone. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
ghost dog

Post by ghost dog »

it would be nice for the first post of this thread to be edited with the last news about the 0.8 milestone.
Many users don't know what's happening... :(
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

Yeah.. Especially considering the blocking0.8+ and blocking0.8? flagged bugs haven't changed in days. :/

Edit: Okay.. 1 down.
TekMonkey

Post by TekMonkey »

In Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040115 Firebird/0.8.0+ the forward and backward buttons don't show up.

I've tried a few different ways to fix it from other people who have had this problem. Even when I load the default theme, they aren't there. And no, they aren't in the Customize in the context menu ;).