What to do about Junk Firefox Ad-Ons??

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

how is the order of extensions established when you click on a category? for instance, say i click on miscellaneous, are those toolbars ranked by order of quality?
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

I think they are listed by last uploaded/updated. As such, these toolbars have a update every other day to raise their extensions to the top of the list and show on the new list too. Extensions should be limited to single digit versions such as 0.0.0 instead of the way the are now were you may get 1.0.2.34 with the last one being changed every couple days to move them back up the list. The version should show minor, major and security updates, not be used as a way to move them up the list. Authors who use the versions this way should be penalized, but Addons lets this go on. I still beleive that certain toolbars get added perks and it "may" be a result of the so-called partnerships.
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

^ thanks phantoms. that knowledge will come in handy for deciding which of those really fine toolbars i wish to add to my brand spanking new fx2...

wow. went to security and privacy to pick up some extensions. go ahead, click it. what the hell does that stuff got to do with security and privacy? shouldn't noscript and stuff like that be showing? who's the clown in charge of addons? really, who is in charge of that site? whooee! i guess whoever it is just doesn't care or something, it makes no sense anymore. if i was a first time user of firefox i'd wonder what was going on, heck, i've been using this browser for a couple of years and i don't know what's going on.
AlfonsoML

Post by AlfonsoML »

For me as I saw for the first time all that crap in the addons site I knew that it was worthless trying to use amo to search for useful extensions as zmanzero said: what the hell are all those crappy extensions doing in security and privacy IF THEY CLAIM THAT THEY ARE TRACKING THE USER.
sorry for the caps, but it's too much for my nerves see how badly managed is amo.
Nobody has any right to put an extension in amo, if they want to release a toolbar with that stuff in their own site it's no problem, but they are cheating the user because he will think that as this site is linked in Firefox those extensions have been properly checked.
what's next: can I add a trojan if I say that it's is a trojan? and can I update it daily so every user sees it and thinks that as it appears in the first position is good extension?
what's the difference with the so hated activeX?
Ahriman

Post by Ahriman »

Still more fun: just search the extensions for "Web Annoyances" and, what do you get? More toolbars by the same guy! :roll:
It seems to me that he has registered his toolbars under all available category. Talk about annoyances! :evil:

This toolbar thing is getting out of control really fast. If MoCorp. don't stop it cold, they will regret sooner or later.
Last edited by Ahriman on November 17th, 2006, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That's why people use Firefox. Firefox is supposed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Hmm.... It appears that I replied to a message that disappeared just before I posted mine. :)

Seriously, folks, you're complaining to the wrong place. The two vents for this are (1) Bugzilla and (2) Remora.
dk70

Post by dk70 »

Perhaps but though I doubt anyone can find a reproducable bug so severe all Conduit bars got kicked out some of the authors act so bad they should have been warned/kicked out already - had there been any control of the site. What you do as a forum/whatever ADM if someone bumps/plugs/spam again and again? At AMO nothing happens. Does not take 2 seconds to fix that but nothing. If playing the system needs bug entry to be recognized it will be waste of time.

Conduit can not be blaimed for this. They provide website for each toolbar, automatically updated each time toolbar is saved in editor. AMO crazy updating of toolbars already tied to other hosts is silly, never ending.

I would assume AMO/reviewer decide which category extension is placed in.

There are many extensions, reviewers are not paid I guess, you can use IE7 if not happy etc. etc. but AMO smells of poor management.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dk70 wrote:...Conduit can not be blamed for this. They provide website for each toolbar, automatically updated each time toolbar is saved in editor. AMO crazy updating of toolbars already tied to other hosts is silly, never ending.

... but AMO smells of poor management.

A man walking in the jungle one day, saw a snake helplessly pinned under a rock. The man levered the rock and lifted the snake out from under. The snake then bit him.

The man reacted violently to the bite and, as he lay dying, said to the snake, "Look what you've done! You've bitten me and killed me!"

The snake replied, "It is your own silly fault. You knew I was a snake when you picked me up. This is what us snakes do."

The man then died and the snake continued on his way.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

yep, privacy and security...
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

yep. go ahead and click the link.
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

we private yet, Clown?
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

VanillaMozilla wrote:That's why people use Firefox. Firefox is supposed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Hmm.... It appears that I replied to a message that disappeared just before I posted mine. :)

Seriously, folks, you're complaining to the wrong place. The two vents for this are (1) Bugzilla and (2) Remora.

thanks vanilla. will THE CLOWN SEE THIS?
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

come to think of it, maybe THE CLOWN, if it could see the error of the twisted path it is on, could take that hideous site https://addons.mozilla.org/ off the web for a while and let http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/ run the show. sure, http://www.conduit.com/ will cry, but let 'em. we're talking cookie cutter tracking toolbars here, not extensions. i can make a Z toolbar if i want to. i cannot make an extension. just a thought before that site destroys the purpose of what this browser is.
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

"The Evolution of the Web".

what firefox started out to be and fell prey to...
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »