addons.mozilla.org recent and open issues

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

DonGato wrote:Well, maybe this addition to the summary would help know the real intention behind these toolbars: http://www.make-money-toolbar.com/
It's not helping users as most extensions and theme developers do, but plain and simple making money.
.... Did you by any chance read this ralphtips???? We Did....Are these people 'trying to be good'?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
RTHT

I already answered this.

Post by RTHT »

I have already replyed to this, I am not concerned with collecting money, I speak about myself not about others.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, as always you can't put all the people in the same bag but also, as always, some fair people have to pay for the unfair. Rules of life. Anyway, ralph was the only one I saw having a constructive approach so I doubt we will see anymore nice discussions from conscious Conduit-based toolbar publishers.
RTHT

thanks

Post by RTHT »

Thanks for everything you said but you need to think about Quoted part. but hopefully this problem will be solved, if we continue in this positive way I think we will reach a solution soon.

DonGato wrote:.... but also, as always, some fair people have to pay for the unfair. Rules of life
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

i see no action. do you?
RTHT

OK

Post by RTHT »

what kind of action do you expect?
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

elimination of this in privacy and security -

especially the dating one. and ralphtips, do you mind if i call you ralph? your existence as a extension author is meaningless to me. i can whip out a toolbar before you can blink.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

What zmanzero is stating in a rather rude way is that there are still tollbars that are listed in categories they don't excel. That is an issue that is still there and is a problem with Conduit-based submitters mostly.
RTHT

Your opinion is meaningless to me too

Post by RTHT »

zmanzero,Your opinion is meaningless to me too. I will repeat it again My extension will stay there. I explained in details what is collected through my toolbar and I am trying to do my best to solve this.-- I am not concerned about other toolbars--. I didn't get what you meant in your post -Please explain-, and it would be better for you to cool down.
graciewacies

Post by graciewacies »

It sounds to me that you people have a problem with toolbar users.
Do you think they are stupid? Because they like to have simple links and email at hand.
You guys are just a bunch of jerks!
My mom didn't know anything about the internet, having a toolbar made it easier to navigate.
What exact information is being collected by Conduit anyway?
To me that is most important. I am a user and I would like to know, but I think that it is arrogant and pigheaded to sit there and talk about how stupid it is to use a toolbar. Its no more stupid than themes. I guess you are going to pounce on that too. What exactly do you need to change your theme for, it doesn't help you... uh... duhh. You guys sound jealous to me.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Well graciewacies ,You certainly sound PO'd! May I suggest you go to Page One of this thread.. Read It.......and check out the links......you may actually understand what this Conduit issue is all about ? YOU are the only one here using language like 'Bunch of Jerks'.....Happy New Year
JohnM555

Post by JohnM555 »

First of all, there are some useful toolbars. Many people seem to like the Google Toolbar and the Web Developer Toolbar.
Ignorantly suggesting we are jealous jerks couldn't be more wrong.
This thread has stated several times what is collected by the Conduit Toolbars, I think in the first post even did.
Toolbars are entirely different than themes, please don't put words into our mouths. We(I) would never compare toolbars to themes. I like themes and like customizing my OS's look(Although right now I'm happy with the default FF theme).
A big problem with conduit toolbars, along with them collecting information, is the huge amount of them on AMO, many of which are very similar. They provide the same premade features in each one with seemingly slight variations. Some are more varied than others. Lots of conduit extensions also try to bend or break the rules to take advantage of the system. Many of them are listed in numerous categories, categories(Such as Privacy and Security) where they do not belong. They would update their description and change their names just to be put at the top of the lists.

Which extensions do you and your mom use and how do they help? What did the toolbar do to make it easier to navigate?
venus_de_mpls

Post by venus_de_mpls »

I know we are talking apples and robots here but I find it interesting that CNET has decided to drop all Conduit toolbars. Funnily enough, from the Conduit forums: <a href="http://forum.conduit-network.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=57171602ac91a9e90a2fc8b940385fd1&amp;topic=2868.0" target="_blank">Important massage from CNET</a>
CNET via Conduit Forum wrote:Hello ,

Our editors have made a decision to remove all Conduit-based toolbars from our library as providing little value to the end users. We are currently in the process of removal. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Important massage from CNET

Best regards,

Sasha
Customer Service
CNET Upload.com

And just to address the issue, we are not talking about all toolbars. I use the Web Developer toolbar (though I only use the context menus as toolbars take away valuable screen space IMO).

Would I use the Google toolbar? Probably not. Still, Google's privacy policy is is fairly clear though it takes a while to slog through all the linked pages.
Win XP Pro SP1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Are you reading THIS^AMO..!!!!!! ?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:Are you reading THIS^AMO..!!!!!! ?

Well, I'm not sure about AMO, but certainly 'graciewacies', would have first read about it here : http://forum.conduit-network.com/index.php?topic=2868.0
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)