addons.mozilla.org recent and open issues

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
thyristor

Post by thyristor »

"little value to end users"... so true. There's nothing in it that can't be done much better with a real extension and at the same time using much less space. And no strings attached. A small moral victory or maybe a lesson to be taught to AMO staff.
graciewacies

Sorry!!

Post by graciewacies »

I was half asleep and a bit pissed off when I read this last night.
I made a conduit toolbar for myself and I think it is really great.
I thought you guys were being a bit snobbish to ralphtips just because he
is not a "developer." I can understand your problem with the multitude of
toolbars, but people do find them useful.

Now that I am fully awake and have seen how many there are, WOW!
I would not post mine here. I never had any intention to. I was actually
just checking the ones that are here and saw your warnings and decided to
check it out.

I got angry because of your tone with ralphtips.
One of you also went on about how you find toolbars useless.
Anyway, I was just curious about the whole spyware thing because
I am a conduit toolbar user and I want to know.
minniebunny

Post by minniebunny »

I am certainly glad that I read this forum from beginning to end because I was so uninformed. I am scared to download any software now! Can someone suggest what I should do as far as a mail server that is safe and is firefox spying? If I should download Firefox as my web browser then what edition do you suggest? Please help me out since this thread has opened my eyes to the underhanded and how they skate around the issue by playing "word games". You say "vace", I say "vaa-ce"
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

minniebunny wrote:I am certainly glad that I read this forum from beginning to end because I was so uninformed. I am scared to download any software now! Can someone suggest what I should do as far as a mail server that is safe and is firefox spying? If I should download Firefox as my web browser then what edition do you suggest? Please help me out since this thread has opened my eyes to the underhanded and how they skate around the issue by playing "word games". You say "vace", I say "vaa-ce"

Firefox the browser alone, downloaded from http://www.mozilla.com is safe. But just be careful of what extensions that you download and install. Most current extension makers are not out to exploit users but there are a few extension makers like the Conduit people that would like to track your activity without your knowledge.

As for a mail server, doesn't your ISP provide a mail server? Or are you trying to create one?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Minniebunny,
The browser itself is excellent and trustworthy. Anything you add to it was written by someone else, and it's your responsibility. For trouble-free browsing I suggest you just download the most recent version and don't add any themes or extensions, and you won't have any problems. And do read the directions.
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

these are from guy levy's site - make money toolbar.

i post these to preserve a record of the motivation of guy levy if he changes his site.

it is my opinion that this is contrary to the spirit of open source. it is also my opinion that conduit toolbars exist solely for the profit of the individuals flooding amo with them.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

VanillaMozilla wrote:...don't add any themes or extensions,

He meant just 'extensions' there, I think. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RTHT

For god's sake This is only one toolbar

Post by RTHT »

zmanzero, This is only one toolbar of of 1000 others, I personnaly havn't seen another Conduit toolbar that generates profit. So stop That "Money" idea. what you are doing is a big mistake you are taking one toolbar and generalizing it to the rest which makes it unfair.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'm not so sure about the "nonprofit" part, ralphtips. Do you know what Conduit derives from your extension?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, ralphtips most extensions didn't state they collected data. A lot abused AMO by bumping their extensions on a daily basis rendering useless the "new extensions" filter. A lot are still abusing the categories classification. Do you expect us to treat all of them as good boys/girls? I don't think so. As I said before, fair people have to pay for the bad ones. Rules of life. You can change/fix that by complaining at Conduit about such toolbar "creators".

You realize nothing of this would have happened if they did the things right from the start and not when they were forced to do it?!
BenWhitey

Post by BenWhitey »

DonGato thanks for doing this. I'm sure that everyone is grateful that you are doing this if they understand what is happening. People should read most or all of forums before posting questions that were answered in previous pages.

I don't user toolbars and now I'm glad I don't. I might be mistaken, but I think that some of the torrent toolbars that are from conduit were posted on digg a long time ago (like a year).

I think that its funny that ralph made his avatar the penguin, the irony (no offense intended).
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Here's a non-Conduit extension that should be in the Grease Monkey Addons Crap Remover script:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3421/

My comments and other links are over here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 63#2681363

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

Asa Reports that the new AMO preview is up: http://preview.addons.mozilla.org/

And the promise again for a dramatically improved review process.

I personally see no difference. Nothing much to search for, nothing really to login about.

Search is STILL at the bottom...(I HATE THAT)

Discussion thing seems new.(Are they trying to create a community?)

IT also looks like the developer end isn't up or not linked.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You mean that's the famous remora?
It seems they won't deliver what most of us wanted (I mean what people complained at the v2 release discussion thread).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Omega X wrote:Discussion thing seems new.(Are they trying to create a community?)
*sigh* it seems that the Comments side is being replaced with more of a support discussion forum type thing - that's what Shaver told me. *sigh*

...just mentioning AMO makes me sigh. :(
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)