addons.mozilla.org recent and open issues

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Someone grab that Web site as evidence. For what, I don't know, but Web sites can change.
RTHT

Post by RTHT »

Hello, I am the owner of ralphtips toolbar, I have updated the keywords for my toolbar . I wanted to say that not all toolbars are made for making money. its good that you brought this up but on the other side there are people who made their toolbars to help FF users therefore it would be good of you seperate both. In addition to all this our toolbars are spyware and virus free as conduit promised if you can poof the opposite as you claimed then you might would like to take a look at this page (((((((((http://www.conduit.com/CertifiedSpywareFree.aspx)))))))))

Regards
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

As I already pointed out in the old thread the common usage of the word Spyware denotes this:
Spyware is computer software that collects personal information about users without their informed consent. The term, coined in 1995 but not widely used for another five years, is often used interchangeably with adware and malware (software designed to infiltrate and damage a computer).

I think that we can agree that browsing habits is personal information and a lot of people regard that as spying:
Other spyware behavior, such as reporting on websites the user visits, occurs in the background. The data is used for "targeted" advertisement impressions. The prevalence of spyware has cast suspicion upon other programs that track Web browsing, even for statistical or research purposes. Some observers describe the Alexa Toolbar, an Internet Explorer plug-in published by Amazon.com, as spyware (and some anti-spyware programs report it as such). Many users, however, choose to install it.

It is fully explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

If you want to release the toolbar without such tracking (if we want to use the other used word) capabilities you can remove the code that makes the connection and sets the unique ID. That way you will prove your good intentions. Most probably Conduit will ban your toolbar and remove your rights to the site so you can use their updated code. That will show their intentions as well.

Anyway, do you truly believe they will admit they are Spyware? It's pointless to discuss with them since they don't believe they are doing anything wrong. They added the data collection warning when they were forced. They were forced to stop bumping their extensions when AMO fixed an issue with the software. It's a shame you have to be related with them.

What do you think of this?
The program does not launch or initiate network connections, unless expressly required by its function or authorised by the user and does not transmit personal information without user informed consent.

Not telling the user they are uniquely identifying him and initiating network connections to their server isn't just that what they are affirming not doing? I still don't see a warning in the toolbar about that. Consider these toolbars are published at other sites that don't have the community scrutiny as with AMO. In those sites (like softpedia, that has a history of also publishing GPL breaking software so it's a site to AVOID), I confirmed that there is no warning so the user never knows of such data collection.

Now that we have you, can you explain to us in which ways your toolbar helps FF users?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ralphtips wrote: In addition to all this our toolbars are spyware and virus free as conduit promised if you can poof the opposite as you claimed then you might would like to take a look at this page (((((((((http://www.conduit.com/CertifiedSpywareFree.aspx)))))))))

That page is meaningless and this point is covered in depth here : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 87#2611687

Your very own toolbar carries a falsehhood (in bold)
"The ralphtips toolbar collects anonymous usage data but it DOES NOT spy on your browsing habits.

That is precisely what it is doing. Let me explain. You come home, late one evening, and see a guy standing outside your sister's bedroom window, looking through binoculars. When you irately approach him, he shouts out,

"Hey! take it easy, buddy!! I don't even know the girl's name!!!"

...now, on a scale of 1 to 1000, how convinced would you be by that argument, hmm?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Ralphtips,
The privacy notices all say repeatedly that they are not spying on you, but most of them don't disclose what actually is done. A lot of information on user actions is gathered, and this information is often withheld. How much information does your privacy notice actually show?

It's fair to say that if presented with the actual, complete disclosure, many users might reasonably conclude that privacy may not be guaranteed after all. I think this is the direction to take in evaluating the privacy notices.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ralphtips wrote:Hello, I am the owner of ralphtips toolbar...

Here you go, Ralph, I've rewritten your Addons Dev Notes for you :

"The ralphtips toolbar collects anonymous usage data. This is the anonymous usage information that is transferred during use of the toolbar:

Searching from the toolbar
Click on any toolbar button
Click on the E-mail Notifier
Open the RSS menu
Click on an item in the RSS menu
Open a drop down menu
Click on an item in the drop down menu
Open the weather window
Open the chevron menu
Click on the radio

Please note : A unique ID is generated during installation, but is used solely for the purpose of knowing how many people are actively using the toolbar and it is not transferred along with any specific usage information. This unique id is not transmitted during any other use of the toolbar.

For full details, please see our privacy policy here: http://Ralphtips.ourtoolbar.com/PrivacyPage"

Nothing untrue there, is there? Now all you have to do, is to log in to the Addons Dev Control Panel and paste it in your Dev Notes. :)

@ Don, anything you want added to that?
Last edited by Frank Lion on December 21st, 2006, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Mmm, IMO it isn't that much anonymous. They use a unique ID generated during installation. Some toolbars have a warning about this already. And the text saying they are not spying should be removed as it's confusing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

^ added.
RTHT

Everything is there and clear!!!! JUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RTHT »

Conduit are doing nothing wrong and are being totally upfront about what they are doing. What you just wanted to be mentioned is already there but it seems that you are not interested to read everything if you are willing to be fair and spent your time reading the privacy policy and the extra info. attached you would have never started all this. here is the link http://www.conduit.com/customtemplmngr. ... d=CT640666

CLICK ON " Read more about our privacy policy" if you want details.

ANYONE user who is reluctant and not sure whats collected could have read it. SIMPLE

We are not against anyone but you just need to keep your mind a bit more open and get the whole idea so that things can be fair HAVE A NICE DAY.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Keep on drinking the Cool-Ade Ralphtips. Who are 'WE' ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Re: Everything is there and clear!!!! JUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Frank Lion »

ralphtips wrote: What you just wanted to be mentioned is already there but it seems that you are not interested to read everything if you are willing to be fair and spent your time reading the privacy policy and the extra info.

I KNOW....duh...where did you think I got the wording from!

If you had read the link above then you would know this! : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 87#2611687

Ralph...you would be 'Weeber' on the Conduit forums and live in Israel, right?...someone who is being 'totally upfront' puts stuff like that right on the downloads page BEFORE people download it. Devious people hide their privacy policies away and add their opinions to it.

ralphtips wrote:ANYONE user who is reluctant and not sure whats collected could have read it. SIMPLE

Well, I would not have called you simple myself, but sure, you're right. People have a right to know this information BEFORE they download anything. Now, if you are an honest guy, who is being totally upfront with people, then go and post my revised Addons Dev Notes for your extension on your Addons page.

That should be simple to do, no?

btw http://forum.conduit-network.com/index. ... 5#msg13625
...ask "Sean" for the link to that stuff he quoted. I cannot find it here.
RTHT

OK. I dont mind

Post by RTHT »

you are wrong, I am not from Is. I am an Arab.(what made you think I am from Is.?) and to proof that I am honest I have added it. as the owner of the toolbar my main aim is to satisfy all users and potential users and hopefully you will be one of them. as long as my users are happy I will be happy, your British correct?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Ralphtips,
That's the right decision. If you inform users, you are one of the good guys. Then no one can complain.

The problem is, I'm not sure if even toolbar authors can be sure of exactly what information is collected and exactly how it can be used.
JohnM555

Post by JohnM555 »

Ralphtips, what I don't understand is why you fill the toolbar with what seems to me, useless things.
Correct me if I'm wrong(I didn't download it). It seems like the main point of the the toolbar is to provide access to radio and tv streams.
What is the purpose of having RSS Feeds? Firefox supports RSS via Livebookmarks. How does your extension handle rss feeds better?
I also don't understand why you include weather. It doesn't seem to be related to radio in anyway. I can understand trying to give your users things that they will like. But imo if they want weather, they would find better features using extensions which only do weather, such as forecastfox.
Does your email checker check pop3 emails, or specific web email accounts? Is it honestly better using that to check email accounts than dedicated email extensions, such as GMail manager for GMail?
RTHT

to JohnM555

Post by RTHT »

John, Having a radio built in into you browser is a an amazing thing I have collected more than 90 stations in more than 20 languages. before I added the TV, users loved the radio the most. the TV is also an added feature, about the weather I don't see the problem with having it, you need to remember that my toolbar isn't only targeted towards FF users but also IE. the email notifier checks all pop3 email accounts including HOTMAIL, YAHOO, GMAIL. another thing that you should keep in mind is the whole idea of making a toolbar, I am keeping my users "attached" to my blog and website all the time. I understand the need to provide more useful things through the toolbar therefore, if you have any ideas or suggestions I will be more than happy to take it into consideration. You can email me at ralphtips@gmail.com (TRY DOWNLOADING IT http://Ralphtips.LoyaltyToolbar.com)
Last edited by RTHT on December 23rd, 2006, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.