addons.mozilla.org recent and open issues

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
RTHT

to VanillaMozilla and others

Post by RTHT »

This is the most I can do. I trust conduit as I have always seen a positive response from them on any matter therefore I trust them on the data they are collecting. As this is solved I now have the right to request my toolbar removed from the list.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Can we assume you mean removed from the AMO Firefox Add-on list? If so, well done.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
thyristor

Post by thyristor »

The list is about conduit.com toolbars. Not about what's spyware, or evil, or greedy or whatever.
You could try to get some programming language books, hang around the developers forums and make an extension on your own. Then your toolbar will certainly get out of the list.
I'm not a programmer myself, but that's why I admire the work of people who develop extensions with creativity and effort using their knowledge for firefox users. I don't trust a company that was kicked out from AMO before for not warning users they were being tracked or allows people to make malicious toolbars from their website.
Frank Lion

Re: to VanillaMozilla and others

Post by Frank Lion »

ralphtips wrote:... As this is solved I now have the right to request my toolbar removed from the list.

This is not yet solved.

However, I can see that you are indeed making a honest effort here to sort this out, in the case of your own toolbar, and so we will get back to you on this in the near future, after we have privately discussed the matter.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Let's see... the attached list is a list of Conduit driven toolbars, why do you want to be out of it if your code is Conduit based?
The post is about a lot of things, mostly related to Conduit toolbars' submitters and their doings until now, but also about lots of problems concerning current addons.mozilla.org software. It allows to be abused (extension bumping, categories abusing, etc.), it isn't properly organized and it doesn't have an acceptable review process.
I would say to follow joaomt advice if you want 'your extension' removed. Until then it will be listed.
RTHT

Amazing reply

Post by RTHT »

I don't like this tone, its annoying, if a person is trying to be good you should be the same, the list doesn't affect my users but I still would like you all to get convinced that I am trying to solve this. I will not remove my toolbar from Mozilla add ons. About programing : This should not concern you, I also appreciate what program. do and I have until now 3 books that I reading. so don't worry. if you don't trust my toolbar then " Don't Download it" (I NEVER LIKED TO SAY THIS BUT YOU FORCED ME).

I hope That you when you finish I will see that my toolbar is out of the list.I am proud to be a conduit user so I don't want it to be taken off the list because ITS CONDUIT!
kevin1979

Post by kevin1979 »

errr....many Arabs live in Israel. They don't check your racial makeup via DNA at the border, last I checked.

on a different subject: i did a search on AMO for "torrent" and it appears all torrent toolbars have been deleted. that was quite a quick wipe of a specific type of extension. it most likely happened because Mozilla was afraid of having any sort of liability (as unlikely as it may be) for facilitating torrent searching through its approved extensions.

don't get me wrong, it's a good thing...but it just goes to show that if really pressured, in this case by their legal dept most likely, they will get things done and not hem and haw as they have with Conduit's garbage.
RenegadeX

Post by RenegadeX »

thericochet wrote:on a different subject: i did a search on AMO for "torrent" and it appears all torrent toolbars have been deleted. that was quite a quick wipe of a specific type of extension. it most likely happened because Mozilla was afraid of having any sort of liability (as unlikely as it may be) for facilitating torrent searching through its approved extensions.
Um, no - you are mistaken. Just did same search and all the usual torrent-related favourites are still there. No change.
James

Post by James »

thericochet wrote:on a different subject: i did a search on AMO for "torrent" and it appears all torrent toolbars have been deleted. that was quite a quick wipe of a specific type of extension. it most likely happened because Mozilla was afraid of having any sort of liability (as unlikely as it may be) for facilitating torrent searching through its approved extensions.

Eh? ..these three from the list is still on a.m.o and found in search https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q ... pp=firefox as maybe you misspelled the word.

Torrent Search
Torrent-Bar Toolbar
torrentools Toolbar

and others like these are still listed.
Torrent Finder Toolbar
Mallutorrents Toolbar for Firefox
kevin1979

Post by kevin1979 »

whoa..weird. i was on the main add-ons page and i spelled it right. i even tried several times just to be sure before i posted. i probably had Themes selected on the pull-down menu on accident or something. my bad.
DonGato

Re: Amazing reply

Post by DonGato »

ralphtips wrote:I don't like this tone, its annoying, if a person is trying to be good you should be the same

And why or what we're doing wrong? Please tell us.

ralphtips wrote:I still would like you all to get convinced that I am trying to solve this.

I'm convinced that you did a lot for the good but still, as you said, you have a Conduit based toolbar, so it will stay in the list.

ralphtips wrote:About programing : This should not concern you

Well, it concerns me as I already stated in the other thread that an extension should be supported and understood by its developer and it's not the case of Conduits. Didn't you see that when you login to AMO it says "DEVELOPER LOGIN". If you go to a bathroom and it says "LADIES" you enter in it anyway while not being a lady?

ralphtips wrote:if you don't trust my toolbar then " Don't Download it"

As I'm tired to say, the problem is not us but most unprepared people that don't understand the implications of data collection or unique identification. As if I would ever need a toolbar to do things I can do in better ways with other extensions and programs.

ralphtips wrote:I hope That you when you finish I will see that my toolbar is out of the list.I am proud to be a conduit user so I don't want it to be taken off the list because ITS CONDUIT!

So you want it out of the list o not? Decide yourself!
RTHT

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RTHT »

If its listed because its a conduit toolbar I don't mind. let it be there forever. If taking My toolbar of the addons is the only way to sort this out, Then you can keep it. I have made it clear to all users whats collected through the toolbar, and I am doing my best to satisfy all the sides, but It seems that its not working well. ( About your Q "what are you doing wrong?" All this convesation is not solving things because according to what I understood from you, you have only one solution and that's to remove the toolbar. instead we should cooperate together not for the benefit of us but for the "UNPREPARED" users.

As I said before If you don't like don't download it.you can add your comment on the toolbar page.

to proof that you are a good programmer simply work more so that you develop better extensions that substitute our toolbars, but everyone who has an extension can log as a DEVELOPER. I didn't finish this tolbar and stopped there, I am trying hard everyday to gain as much prog. knowladge as possible.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Nobody is seriously asking you to remove the toolbar from AMO. ;)

All this convesation is not solving things because according to what I understood from you, you have only one solution and that's to remove the toolbar.

No, we have a list of solutions, some already implemented some waiting for remora release.
Did you read this and the other thread? It seems to me you didn't.

instead we should cooperate together not for the benefit of us but for the "UNPREPARED" users.

That's what we're doing here by pushing some AMO reorganizing. If AMO hear us and want to do something in the short run, that's another thing. Anyway, a lot has been done but also a lot is left to do.

Well, the funny thing is I would never build a toolbar as I, as a developer, don't think they are useful at all... but that's my only opinion. Let's keep it at that.

And cheers about you learning programming.
Frank Lion

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Frank Lion »

ralphtips wrote:...because according to what I understood from you, you have only one solution and that's to remove the toolbar. instead we should cooperate together not for the benefit of us but for the "UNPREPARED" users.

Ralph, there are many other issues that concern us about Addons apart from the 'Toolbar' side, such as the lack of a full review of extensions, lack of an Adult Content policy and a good few other things.

However, regarding the 'Toolbar' side, I am proposing that, in the short term, we have two lists - one being for the ones that we now see on Addons and the other for toolbars that display our template Privacy Policy* notes in the Dev Notes, without any additional opinions of Conduit or others as to what, or what not, constitutes 'spying on browsing habits'. This last list would demonstrate to people which toolbar 'authors' have taken an important first step in the right direction to fully inform their potential users in advance of the relevant privacy issues of their toolbars prior to download. This seems to be, in you case at least, a reasonable first step in the right direction.

I know, from conversations that I have had privately, that a few here seem to be having trouble even grasping this concept, let alone being able to spend 5 minutes to discuss it. To them let me say this, if you wish to act and present yourself here as unreasonable, inflexible extremists on these matters - fine. But, you will do so without me.

Frank :)

* exact wording still to be decided.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RTHT

Now this is good.

Post by RTHT »

As a long as this discussion wil go in a positive way, progressing to make bothe sides undertand each other I am ready to work with you and everyone else to deliver my toolbar to users in the most comprehensive and honest way possible. I like the idea of the two lists, I am not against you or against other conduit toolbars if we stick to the fact that we are trying to help the end user. :)