"Close Tab" at top of context menu

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Jesse

"Close Tab" at top of context menu

Post by Jesse »

I think "Close Tab" should be at the top of the tab context menu. These are my reasons, with what I think are the strongest arguments first:

1. I close tabs more often than I open new blank tabs.
2. It would make it easier to close a tab without a middle mouse button, especially if Phoenix had onmousedown context menus. (The 'X' at the right of the tab bar is too small for me to click easily.)
3. It would make the tab bar more consistent with the Windows taskbar, where the "Close" option on the context menu appears right next to the cursor when you right-click.
4. "New Tab" isn't really context-sensitive.
5. Moving the commonly used items in the context menu to the top would make me less likely to accidentally click "Close Other Tabs" at the bottom of the context menu.

Originally suggested in http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103354#c37 .
Stefan

Re: "Close Tab" at top of context menu

Post by Stefan »

Jesse wrote:5. Moving the commonly used items in the context menu to the top would make me less likely to accidentally click "Close Other Tabs" at the bottom of the context menu.

That is the reason I have learned to NEVER use the contextmenu for closing tabs (but the X instead). I just simply "closed all other" then the one I wanted to close too often.
It's really a bad design to have these 2 highly diffenet things so close to each other, becuse sooner or later everybody "missclicks" out of accident.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Why is 'close other tabs' even ON the menu? Who in the world would decide that the best way to shut all but one tab would be to click the one you wanted open? that's like having a 'close all other windows' option in the File menu...

- Chris
Abiku

Post by Abiku »

thumperward wrote:Why is 'close other tabs' even ON the menu? Who in the world would decide that the best way to shut all but one tab would be to click the one you wanted open?

I agree. I think it should be intelligent enough to not include that option when right-clicking on a specific tab, but still display it when right-clicking the tab bar itself. I hate it when I click an option like that because my hand twitched or I was in a hurry for some reason and clicked the first "close" option my eye caught. :p