FireFox sux

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
opus3

FireFox sux

Post by opus3 »

I opened FireFox and my homepage / bookmarks have all disapeared, what a complete piece of crap.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Corrupt localstore.rdf problem

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_custo ... on_startup
Also
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

And clean up the language. We don't have to take your attitude, your very lucky I chose to answer you
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

opus3,

Watch your attitude.

malliz is right. We don't have to take your attitude, nor do we have to help you. We are all volunteers on this forum, so it's not a good idea to bite the hand that is helping you.

Also see: http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
opus3

Post by opus3 »

My attitude is purely out of frustration with FireFox because it is not the first time it has let me down and I would not say "crap" is offensive language.

I do think this problem is pathetic and because it happens to so many users they should simply have a recovery option
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Your attitude may be out of frustration, but it's not needed, or wanted here. I never said anything about the word "crap" being offensive language. However, it is connected to the attitude.

Though this problem does seem to occur to some people, it is hardly a lot in comparison to the millions of Firefox downloads/users.

I am so glad you mentioned a recovery option. Firefox 1.5 versions and higher have five (5) days of bookmark backups. (Five days of Firefox use and not five consecutive calendar days). Since you are using Firefox/2.0.0.2 you can recover them.

The links that malliz provided for you will tell you everything you need to know about recovery and etc...

Also, keep in mind that all software has flaws (including Firefox). Nothing is perfect...
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

If you want help on most volunteer forums, it's a good idea to cut the insults. You're in luck, though; people here are too nice for their own good and will often help you anyway.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds
opus3

Post by opus3 »

Who have I insulted? I have insulted nobody, your making out like I am some nasty person.

Thanks to Mailliz for the help but you other guys are not helping at all
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

opus3,

Starting a post as you did (with an attitude intentional/non-intentional) tends to cause people to get an attitude back at you.

Threads that start like this with no Mod interaction tend to get ugly pretty quick.

This thread was brought to the Moderators' attention because of how the thread was started. And that's why I commented...to keep things moderate.

Now, we can keep arguing about attitude problems (which will result in this thread being locked) or we can talk about your Firefox problems.

Did you get your bookmarks back and are your problems resolved?
opus3

Post by opus3 »

My bookmarks are lost, all the settings are default and no trace of previous profile etc..

I started up my comp as usual but firefox was default, like I said nothing to retrive. I have lost so many resources, refrences and tutorials for my studies it is painful.

It is ok to call a piece of software a naughty word when it lets you down, sorry it caused a stir. I just thought the riot police came in on me :)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Have you done this? Don't delay as Your bookmarks are backed up for the last 5 days
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
bergie

Post by bergie »

Dartman wrote:opus3,

Starting a post as you did (with an attitude intentional/non-intentional) tends to cause people to get an attitude back at you.

Threads that start like this with no Mod interaction tend to get ugly pretty quick.

This thread was brought to the Moderators' attention because of how the thread was started. And that's why I commented...to keep things moderate.

Now, we can keep arguing about attitude problems (which will result in this thread being locked) or we can talk about your Firefox problems.

Did you get your bookmarks back and are your problems resolved?

God--despite the "crap" you hang in there in a very professional manner.
No wonder we love you guys and this wonderful forum.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

:-)
bergie

Post by bergie »

Dartman wrote::-)

You're most welcome!
byter

Post by byter »

Bookmarks issues have plagued firefox forever - isnt it about time someone actually read the stuff in these forums and read the feedback through firefox and actually sorted it out - yeah firefox 2 is better oin security but the fact is - its no better at all on bugs that have been there since day 1 - I'm ready to jump ship and go back to internet explorer - theres less bugs and if you got decent linux security at the perimiter of your network and really try hard to stay ahead of the security game - then theres no problem with IE - firefox on the other hand - works well for what - 3 months and then cuz of all the dodgy addons that arent properly checked and dont actually uninstall properly - firefox is going the same way that other browsers have done - rose to the top and then exploded in a big ball of buggy flames
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

The major problem with solving the bookmark loss problem is that it's such a hard bug to reproduce - it's incredibly rare given the amount of users, and isn't usually triggered by any particular thing. I'm sure if it was easier to 'get to the bottom of' then it would have a far better chance of getting fixed. I've never had data loss problems with Firefox, but if I had, maybe I would understand your frustration better. Oh, and you do realize that those extensions aren't Mozilla's responsibility at all. It would just be ridiculous if every extension at addons.mozilla.org had to be checked not only for legitimacy, but bugs as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds