FireFox sux

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I agree with sumguy231. The bookmark bug is really hard to duplicate; therefore, it is hard to make a fix for it.

This thread is in the beginning stages of the type of thread where everybody makes posts to complain about this and that. If that's the case, I will lock this thread.

Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

It's not really that hard to fix, there are a bunch of known issues with the way bookmarks are/were saved. I highly suspect that the problem will go away once Firefox starts using sqlite storage instead of text/xml-based formats.
Six Pack

Post by Six Pack »

Is losing bookmarks a problem in IE and Opera as well?
Ubuntu is Swahili for "I can't install Debian"
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

Yeah, the bookmarks problem should be sorted out with the sqlite database. I think its suspected to happen because FF saves bookmarks.html when its closing. If there are any problems at shutdown, it can mess up the file. The sqlite file (I think, but I'm talking entirely out of my element here) saves as you work, and is less susceptible to that corruption.

People are listening. People are working to fix bugs. It just takes time. This solution required rewriting a lot of code and still isn't near done yet.

I'm not sure why your homepage would reset though. Sounds like your profile is extremely corrupted.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Cusser wrote:It's not really that hard to fix, there are a bunch of known issues with the way bookmarks are/were saved. I highly suspect that the problem will go away once Firefox starts using sqlite storage instead of text/xml-based formats.

Interesting. The last I heard about the bookmarks problem was the fact that it was hard to duplicate...therefore making hard to fix.

Canyonero wrote:I'm not sure why your homepage would reset though. S

Possibly the localstore.rdf file, or this

Or as you said, an extremely corrupted profile. If that's the case, then a new profile would be in order.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

opus3 wrote:My bookmarks are lost, all the settings are default and no trace of previous profile etc.
Either you're looking in the wrong place or you or someone else deleted the whole directory. You're probably looking in the Program Files directory. THAT AIN'T IT. In recent Windows it's usually in "Documents and Settings" or "WinNT".

Try again and follow the directions. But hurry. You're almost out of time before you lose the backups.

Edit: be glad I'm replying. I won't usually post in a thread with a title like this one, and there won't be a follow-up.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on March 13th, 2007, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irs009

Post by irs009 »

byter, There is a program called Mozbackup that I've used for years. It's not an extension. If you back up once in a while, it will even take a new Profile, and make Fx the same as it was when you did the backup. Maybe you and Opus would find it helpful.

Jack
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Interesting. The last I heard about the bookmarks problem was the fact that it was hard to duplicate...therefore making hard to fix.

That's what I heard too, but it's hard to argue that moving it to sqlite wouldn't likely solve the problem/be a generally better way of doing things.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Dartman wrote:Interesting. The last I heard about the bookmarks problem was the fact that it was hard to duplicate...therefore making hard to fix.

I thought that too, but a while back I did some digging on Bugzilla and found a bunch of bugs full of highly technical discussion about the issue. While you're correct in your assertion that the problem is hard to duplicate, it seemed fairly easy to diagnose; after all, there are only so many steps that can fail when you're writing data to a disk, and it had to be one or more of them.

Canyonero wrote:I'm not sure why your homepage would reset though.

Sounds like a classic sign of a locked profile, or corrupt prefs.js, which is also fairly common. If prefs.js gets truncated during save, it fails to load entirely. Again, hopefully this will go away with sqlite.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Apparently files don't get properly under some conditions (files open during crash, for example). It always seemed to me that they need to keep track of whether files are closed properly. However, they have really just given up on fixing it, preferring to work on a complete replacement instead. The code looked to me like a bit of a mess. It's not called Mork for nothing.
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

I thought only history and passwords used Mork though? (Mork is a horrible ungodly mess though, you're right.)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds
Luc VN

Post by Luc VN »

Hello There,
All of this is easily cured when you use an extension to back-up everything with one keystroke.
FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers.
Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE): https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2109/ and it is great...
Kind Regards,

Luc VN
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Oops, you're right. It's not Mork. They have given up, however, er, I mean, concentrated their efforts elsewhere.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Luc VN wrote:Hello There,
All of this is easily cured when you use an extension to back-up everything with one keystroke.
FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers.
Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE): https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2109/ and it is great...
Kind Regards,

Luc VN

Luc VN,

You're absolutely right as far as backing everything up. It's something that should be done by everybody on a regular basis. However, backing up the profile (bookmarks, passwords, etc...) is not the cure to the problem. The problem lies within Firefox. So, until the problems are fixed some people are going to having these irritating issues. Though, backing up everything does make it easier to deal with the situation.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Continue here.