Firefox 1.0 likely to be based off the 1.7 branch

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

The warning dialog was included a few days ago and works fine.
The roadmap is here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html (updated yesterday).

Ben is working on a new extension system, which will include uninstall functionality: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/extensions/
This will be included in 0.9.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

I've seen the warning dialog before as well, but it stopped working. But now it was being reworked, using the new onbeforeunload event.
wvw

The long wait

Post by wvw »

Can't wait for that moment! Lets kick some IEass!! (The only gripe I still have is that there should be a default unintrusive sound when a popup is blocked. This because the people I support too often think that a site doesn't work because of Firefox, while it simply is the popup-blocker).
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Arch, it's already in the nightlies.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
ehume

Post by ehume »

arch wrote:There are at least one Seamonkey feature that most of us would like to see in Fx: a warning dialog when closing window with multiple tabs.

That's been in the 0.8+ builds at least since 2004-02-20, perhaps a day or so earlier.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

ehume wrote:
arch wrote:There are at least one Seamonkey feature that most of us would like to see in Fx: a warning dialog when closing window with multiple tabs.

That's been in the 0.8+ builds at least since 2004-02-20, perhaps a day or so earlier.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040221 Firefox/0.8.0+ (daihard: XFT+GTK2; opt. for P4/SSE-2) has it.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
ronin65

Post by ronin65 »

Are you saying that the Fox will gain the features of Moz?

I sure hope so as there are just too many things "missing" from the Fox right now. Some of them are implemented differently for no obvious reason (such as the sidebar having to be opened/closed from the menu bar instead of the grabby). The preferences do not offer the choices that Moz does.

If the idea of the Fox is to provide a faster version of Moz with enhancements as the browser evolves I would be pleased. It is unclear, to me in any event, just what the objectives of the development may be. As I really like Moz I would be disappointed if the Fox turned out to be just a stripped down, limited feature version of it.

I know that people do not like to be reminded to look at IE, but it has many useful features in the sidebar and the management of favorites *within the sidebar* as well as in the large window mode and so on. I realise that IE also has many shortcomings from a technical perspective, but "it ain't bad" as a user interface and feature set.

I would like to see the Fox developed more as the Camino development path seems to have taken off on a tangent to parts unknown.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Flexer

Post by Flexer »

Will there be improvements in the Sidebar or will have to install the EzSidebar extension (which have many bugs for me) to get some of the really neaded features to make the sidebar useful ?
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Kudos to Ben for not locking this announcement. Also, it's nice to see the final release is codenamed Phoenix :)
ajhubble

Post by ajhubble »

Oh great, here we go again. Another name change. But Phoenix sounds cool :). They must have worked out the potential copyright/trademark issues then...?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ajhubble wrote:Oh great, here we go again. Another name change. But Phoenix sounds cool :). They must have worked out the potential copyright/trademark issues then...?

Nononono, the NAME of the browser will be Firefox.

The Roadmap codenames however was decided on years ago. It was actually a bit funny, since the names are from an ACTUAL roadmap, going from city to city until it reaches the end in... Phoenix.
Of cource the name had to change (twice) since that original idea was hatched :)
TheDormouse

Post by TheDormouse »

Stefan wrote:...the names are from an ACTUAL roadmap, going from city to city until it reaches the end in... Phoenix.

I can't find any of the names between Indio, California and Phoenix, Arizona: Three Kings, Royal Oak, One Tree Hill, Greenlane. I know there really isn't a whole lot of anything between Los Angeles & Phoenix. Come to think of it, I-10 is pretty boring across most of the country, even out here in Florida.

Do these names have some other special signficance? Or are all the mapping sites just stupid?
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

TheDormouse wrote:
Stefan wrote:...the names are from an ACTUAL roadmap, going from city to city until it reaches the end in... Phoenix.

I can't find any of the names between Indio, California and Phoenix, Arizona: Three Kings, Royal Oak, One Tree Hill, Greenlane. I know there really isn't a whole lot of anything between Los Angeles & Phoenix. Come to think of it, I-10 is pretty boring across most of the country, even out here in Florida.

Do these names have some other special signficance? Or are all the mapping sites just stupid?

I couldn't find many cities with interesting names between Indio and Phoenix so I started using suburbs of Auckland ;-)