Outlook-type open source client for winxp

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

I thought Calendar was part of the Mozilla nightlies. For a full-featured App, Mozilla is the way to go.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Gleevec

Post by Gleevec »

[quote="ehume"][quote="Olli"][quote="ehume"]Why not just use Outlook?[/quote]

Hahaha, sorry *wipes tear*, where to start? :D[/quote]Where to start is what the original poster asked for--an integrated app that handles calendar and email. It's a business thing. Back when I was online in an office, I would get these memos about meetings and stuff like that on Outlook. Also (shudder), task lists. Basically paperwork without the paper. Lotus Notes does it, too. There are other apps like it, but they all come bundled with expensive (for a single user) office network packages.

So dry the tear you wiped. Until Calendar is part of Moz, there may not be an open source answer for gleevec, or even an inexpensive commercial alternative to Outlook that will suit his purposes.[/quote]

Thanks for the serious reply. I have no intention of changing my OS just because there is no integrated mail/task/calendar client that is open-source for winXP. And I am not willing to settle for a minimalist email client either. Thanks for your replies, but for now I will stick with Outlook since it is the only thing out there that meets my needs.
ehume

Post by ehume »

alanjstr wrote:I thought Calendar was part of the Mozilla nightlies. For a full-featured App, Mozilla is the way to go.
I just installed the 2003-02-09 nightly. I can't seem to find any hint of a calendar function.
tholus

Post by tholus »

It's here as an extension.

http://mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Or use Yahoo Mail, which has a calendar function and stuff.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Stefan

Re: pegassus is the answer

Post by Stefan »

liviudan wrote:Pegassus is the answer. No outlook clone or anything else. Just pure mail client. Nor is it fancy looking. But its filter capabilities are by far the most powerful.

Wow, it has something better the Bayesian filtering implement in Mozilla mail? http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam.html

I'm truly impressed.
Or did you just read the hype on their website? ;)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Stefan wrote:Wow, it has something better the Bayesian filtering implement in Mozilla mail? http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam.html

Can you actually filter mail with it now? Or does it still only mark the mail as junk/not junk/un-filtered.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

MoNkaholic wrote:Can you actually filter mail with it now? Or does it still only mark the mail as junk/not junk/un-filtered.

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam-faq.html
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

W00t! "Update: it's turned on as of 1/12/2003."
../frank

Post by ../frank »

Stefan - If you've actually tried Pegasus mail and find its filtering / classification rules inadequate, I apologize.

But if you haven't tried it, don't knock it. I've been using Pegasus for about 5 years. IMO, the web page understates its capabilities.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
Olli

Post by Olli »

Have you looked into stuff like phpGroupware?
It's another approach, but does pretty much all you want.
It runs on your webserver, has a calender. Have a look on freshmeat.net, cause the official site http://www.phpgroupware.org/ is rebuilding at the moment.
Ploum

Post by Ploum »

Mozilla mail is, IMHO, the best Open Source solution. I try sylpheed claws, but forget it !

If you don't care about Open Source, Pocomail is great (fast, full of features) but sometimes buggy and you must paid for it !
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Wow this threads back up again. I think this came down to the application requested not existing. There is no Windows port of an OSS Outlook clone with Calendar/Tasks etc... that exists seperately from a browser AFAIK. Mozilla's suite is getting there, but I don't know how far along Calendar is so I don't want to give an exact progress report.
djnr

Post by djnr »

I've actually also gone away from using Outlook etc in favour of Yahoo, which has a calendar function and is obviously synchronized all the time between different computers, because it's all on Yahoo.

I've also been discovering another technology: a knock-em-dead combination like PHP and MysQL or HTML and CSS, the carbon-filament rod and cellulose-fiber film allow you to write directly on your visual interface, which is solar powered and highly portable. The user has complete formatting control. The advantages go on and on. Apparently In Europe this has been used for decades at least. ;)

But it doesn't connect with POP/SMTP servers. :(
cb

But what is the price?

Post by cb »

djnrempel wrote: it's all on Yahoo. (

from an email:
> > Yahoo groups has instituted another policy without informing its users.
They are using web beacons ('pixels') to track users OUTSIDE of Yahoo's
sites ("to conduct research on behalf of certain
partners on their web sites and also for auditing purposes." This week.)
You can opt out of this program by going here:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

After you click on the "opt out" link, pay attention to the next page.
The gray button that comes up CANCELS the opt out,
so don't click it; just close the browser tab or the browser window
instead.

Remember that it is yahoo . com
All about the benjamins
aum mani padme hom