MozillaZine

NBC is blocking ADblock users!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Eminemdrdre00

Post Posted October 9th, 2007, 4:18 pm

I know one of the most popular Firefox addons is Adblock! Well today when I tried to watch a video on NBC.com, it refused to play until I disabled Adblock! Hopefully other websites don't block access for blocking their ads!
http://www.digg.com/tech_news/NBC_blocks_Adblock_users

steviex

Post Posted October 9th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Its probably worth posting this on the AdBlock Plus Forum.... http://adblockplus.org/forum/ (You will need to register to post)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

The Ex Omega

Post Posted October 9th, 2007, 9:09 pm

That is NBC's problem. I never had a reason to visit that site, and now I don't even have an incentive to do so.

Old Rick 752

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:00 am

Fixed in the EasyList.

steviex

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:09 am

Cheers Rick... :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Old Rick 752

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:19 am

Thanx Stevie:
Btw, you don't have to register at the ABP or the EasyList forums to post. Guest postings are allowed :-)

steviex

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:26 am

No worries.... So noted. :) Just don't tell Mr Carlton.... Hehe

Old Rick 752

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:34 am

:lol:
He's already been there (he actually registered there when all that started). He and I had some real 'enlightening' conversations in there :roll:

Now he avoids me like the plague :-)

steviex

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 10:46 am

It has made interesting reading.... We've had a few threads about it here too...
That peel the corner ad he has on his blog (don't get me started Grrr.) doesn't seem to work to well in Opera on Ubuntu.... Nasty....

Old Rick 752

Post Posted October 14th, 2007, 11:08 am

Peel away ads are one of the most annoying ads on the planet. They are large, obstructive annoyances. They are also the "king" of 'unintentional clicks'.

They put these pieces of sh*t right in the path to your scrollbar so when you go to reach for your scrollbar this thing peels away to show some giant ad that blocks the content on half the page. In this visual confusion to grab your scrollbar, it is very easy to click on the ad if you don't hit your scrollbar perfectly.

It is one of the highest forms of 'scum' advertising that I can think of.

Return to Firefox General