urlclassifier3.sqlite gets absurdly large?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rsteves

Re: urlclassifier3.sqlite gets absurdly large?

Post by rsteves »

There are two checkboxes in the Tools>Options>Security.
* Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site
* Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

Does anyone know what effect (if any) unchecking these will have on the size that urlclassifier3.sqlite grows to?

My feeling is that anyone with the technical ability to find urlclassifier3.sqlite, determine its purpose, and choose to delete it probably has sufficient ability to identify potential attack/forgery sites without FF's help.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

I believe that unchecking those 2 options completely disable the urlclassifier3.sqlite, it shouldn't grow any more, or come back after you delete it.

On the other hand, if you think you can identify every random phising site on the net, you serious overestimate yourself. Most phising sites are easy to catch, but there are also those that are damn hard. If those 50-60MiB for the urlclassifier3.sqlite worries you, you got a serious disk space shortage. 1 uncaught sphising site could cost quite a amounth of GiB's hard space at the current exchange rate of about 12cent/GiB. ;)
oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

Strange thing! I do not have urlclassifier3.sqlite in my working profile but in a new, clean profile I have one. In my working profile I have only a small urlclassifierkey3.txt file. Am I missing something?
SM, TBird & FF trunk nightlies; Win 8.1/Ubuntu; Apache OOo 4
============================================
steviex

Post by steviex »

I think it got moved elsewhere, to Local Folders, in some versions of Firefox... If you updated from Firefox 3.0.* then it might be in an alternate location....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

Yes, that's it. Found it in Local Settings. Thank you.
SM, TBird & FF trunk nightlies; Win 8.1/Ubuntu; Apache OOo 4
============================================
mundivagante

Post by mundivagante »

I've just started looking at firefox - could someone tell me why I want the urlclassifier database if my antivirus/internet protection software is functioning & uptodate? Isn't this unnecessary duplication?

Thanks
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

No, it's additional. Beside, a virusscanner won't protect you against phising attacks, not to mention that virus scanners aren't 100% perfect.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Dorus wrote:No, it's additional. Beside, a virusscanner won't protect you against phising attacks, not to mention that virus scanners aren't 100% perfect.

Dorus,

It's not that I don't want anti-phising capability, it's just that (thank you very much) I want to control the anti-phising, malware, virus, rootkit apps that I use to handle the dark side of surfing on the worldwide web. Which is why I have disabled Google's anti-phising tie-in to FireFox 3.5. If I wanted close integration with Google, I'd use Chrome as my browser, not FireFox. Add in the occasional uncontrolled growth of urlclassifier3.sqlite as this is Mozilla's first time out of the box attempt to use a real dbase program to handle its various modules (bookmark, cookies, history, anti-phising, etc.) and you have the potential for some mightly large sqlite files sitting around in your profile sub-folder.

Let's see what happens when FF 3.5.1 comes out in a couple of weeks in terms of what kind of bugfixes make it to Gold.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
BigWillyStyle42

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

ndebord wrote:
Dorus wrote:No, it's additional. Beside, a virusscanner won't protect you against phising attacks, not to mention that virus scanners aren't 100% perfect.

Dorus,

It's not that I don't want anti-phising capability, it's just that (thank you very much) I want to control the anti-phising, malware, virus, rootkit apps that I use to handle the dark side of surfing on the worldwide web. Which is why I have disabled Google's anti-phising tie-in to FireFox 3.5. If I wanted close integration with Google, I'd use Chrome as my browser, not FireFox. Add in the occasional uncontrolled growth of urlclassifier3.sqlite as this is Mozilla's first time out of the box attempt to use a real dbase program to handle its various modules (bookmark, cookies, history, anti-phising, etc.) and you have the potential for some mightly large sqlite files sitting around in your profile sub-folder.

Let's see what happens when FF 3.5.1 comes out in a couple of weeks in terms of what kind of bugfixes make it to Gold.

Bookmarks and history were migrated to SQLite as part of 3.0... and I'm pretty sure the phishing data has always been in SQLite.

EDIT: this thread is pretty old, but I was right, SQLite was used back in 2.0 for the anti-phishing data so this is hardly their first time using it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving out of Builds to General.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
geeknik

Post by geeknik »

My urlclassifier3.sqlite is 37.9MB and it was first created 4/15/09. I don't see why it's a problem for people. Oh wait, yes I do... 8-)

ZOMG, Google is inside your pc, stealing your datas!#% :roll:

Whatever. Your ISP knows more about you than Google ever will.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

ndebord wrote:It's not that I don't want anti-phising capability, it's just that (thank you very much) I want to control the anti-phising, malware, virus, rootkit apps that I use to handle the dark side of surfing on the worldwide web. Which is why I have disabled Google's anti-phising tie-in to FireFox 3.5. If I wanted close integration with Google, I'd use Chrome as my browser, not FireFox.

What close integration? By default, Firefox downloads a list of suspicious Web sites from Google. If you try to visit one of those Web sites, it warns you. That's all. There's nothing sinister, and you can't get any less intrusive spyware protection that that. It doesn't send Google ANY information about what Web sites you visit, unless you choose to do so.

You've been around here long enough to know better, or at least ask first. Now stop trolling and spreading FUD.

geeknik wrote:ZOMG, Google is inside your pc, stealing your datas!#% :roll:

You've been misinformed. No such thing is happening.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
What close integration? By default, Firefox downloads a list of suspicious Web sites from Google. If you try to visit one of those Web sites, it warns you. That's all. There's nothing sinister, and you can't get any less intrusive spyware protection that that. It doesn't send Google ANY information about what Web sites you visit, unless you choose to do so.

You've been around here long enough to know better, or at least ask first. Now stop trolling and spreading FUD.

Sorry i wasn't clear in articulating my concerns. I gather you don't see any conflict of interest between Google running the blacklist and Firefox using it to determine which sites are potentially dangerous to web surfers and which sites are theoretically safe? This, after all, is a private list, not monitored or evaluated by an open source community.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

The same can be said for the vast majority of all phishing/malware/antivirus software.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Bluefang wrote:The same can be said for the vast majority of all phishing/malware/antivirus software.

Bluefang,

Absolutely correct. Case in point, IE8. The question one should ask is what makes the blacklist (or not) and why and who decides what is safe for the whitelist and is it actually safe.