We got another XPISpyware

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Bram

Post by Bram »

I find it a very serious problem, actually. My mom is using Firefox and so is my younger brother. They have no idea what happens when they click something. So making them stop popping up randomly would be a big solution. Also disabled-by-default or white-lists with mozilla-sites only would be an option. You can call em both stupid, but this is how "users" are. Every system administrator can tell you that.
Please take the problem very serious! It's no joke, as Molerat said!
Kylotan

Post by Kylotan »

Random idea I just had...

When registering on some websites, they give you a generated graphic that contains some sort of codeword or number, which you then have to type in before clicking Submit in order to create your account.

This could apply to XPIs in a similar way. When the dialog asks if you want to install, it prompts you to enter a short string of random characters into a text box. Until you enter the correct string, the Ok or Install button is disabled, but the Cancel button is enabled. This means that impulse-clicking will only result in the installation being cancelled. Anyone who wants to install the software will be forced to read the dialog's warning text at least once. Yet the inconvenience to someone who just wants to install an extension is just a few seconds more, and doesn't involve rooting around in the preferences to understand why nothing is happening.