They've shut down the playground, and the new name is...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
RIV@NVX

Post by RIV@NVX »

Why would you even consider to use the OS that is older and more obsolete than your computer?
See, that's just one of the reasons why I pick Linux.
fingerprint

Post by fingerprint »

Argh, well that blows :( Maybe I can just go in and tweak it and rename everywhere it says SurfZilla to something else when it comes out for my own personal browser. That's the cheesiest damn name ever.
RIV@NVX

Post by RIV@NVX »

fingerprint wrote:Argh, well that blows :( Maybe I can just go in and tweak it and rename everywhere it says SurfZilla to something else when it comes out for my own personal browser. That's the cheesiest damn name ever.

Really, I can't believe that name that stupid even exists.
What's the problem with name "Phoenix"?
Why would you even consider to use the OS that is older and more obsolete than your computer?
fingerprint

Post by fingerprint »

Phoenix is owned by http://www.phoenix.com They apparently have their own browser out or coming soon so this one has to change it's name as Phoenix Technologies was around first.
RIV@NVX

Post by RIV@NVX »

fingerprint wrote:Phoenix is owned by http://www.phoenix.com They apparently have their own browser out or coming soon so this one has to change it's name as Phoenix Technologies was around first.

Ah, OK then.
But there are way better names than SurfZilla.
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

As a name Phoenix has the lot, but SurfZilla, that really sux!!
I'd be ashamed to say I used it. I think I'll refer to it as Mozilla's little ..., no I not allowed to say that.
RIV@NVX

Post by RIV@NVX »

m1scha_m wrote:As a name Phoenix has the lot, but SurfZilla, that really sux!!
I'd be ashamed to say I used it. I think I'll refer to it as Mozilla's little ..., no I not allowed to say that.

SurfZilla name sucks. There are much better suggestions in the famous "name suggestions" thread.
fingerprint

Post by fingerprint »

Might as well call it Internet ExplorZilla if you're gonna call it that, sounds just as bad.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

SurfZilla?!! That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Sorry I asked.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
RIV@NVX

Post by RIV@NVX »

fingerprint wrote:Might as well call it Internet ExplorZilla if you're gonna call it that, sounds just as bad.

Maybe IEZilla so it wouldn't be too long?
tve

Post by tve »

it won't be SurfZilla.. dont believe anything as long as its from no reliable source...
djst

Post by djst »

RIV@NVX wrote:
fingerprint wrote:Argh, well that blows :( Maybe I can just go in and tweak it and rename everywhere it says SurfZilla to something else when it comes out for my own personal browser. That's the cheesiest damn name ever.

Really, I can't believe that name that stupid even exists.
What's the problem with name "Phoenix"?

This is getting frustrating. How many times do I have to say<b> that the name has not been chosen</b> and that SurfZilla was nothing but a joke from Blake Ross, the person who explicitly said "no names ending with *Zilla"?
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

djst wrote:...a joke from Blake Ross.

Fool me twice, shame on me. :oops:
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
ehume

Post by ehume »

I agreed with djst before I saw his post. This post from Blake a month ago:

One of the features we'll be adding in Surfzilla 0.6 (the new name for Phoenix) is an option to let the user decide whether or not links should have focus outlines when clicked with the mouse.

is classic Blake Ross humor. We've seen it before. In fact, I think Blake is essentially saying that Surfzilla would, in his opinion, be the worst possible new name for Phoenix.

At this point, I will repeat my plug for Wowser.

But I also like Newt, Skink, Peregrine, Athena, Ion, Tachyon and George (as in "Let George do it").
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

SurfZilla? Eh...
We need something special. Better up, something that has with Phoenix to do, like:
1. PYRE (A the end of an epoch, as the Phoenix feels death drawing near, it builds a funeral pyre of sweet spices)

2. BENNU
(pheonix's Egyptian counterpart is the bennu, a heron-like bird that lived on an obelisk in Heliopolis)

Both of these are way cool, short, easily remembered names.