They've shut down the playground, and the new name is...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
JenHi

Post by JenHi »

fbddk wrote:<ul><li><b>Gefyon</b>: fertility goddess who was sent to Sweden by Odin where she got 4 sons with a giant. She turned the sons into ox's and created Zealand by plowing soil from Sweden and leaving the big lake Vänern.

Gefyon Fountain in Copenhagen showing Gefyon plowing with the four Ox's that used to be her sons</li>

Gefyon doesn't sound very good on my tongue, maybe have you phonetics for GEFYON
because I like it :
it is female figure (and a blonde one )
it has sons as tabs in phoenix,
great foto
Mister Mr.

Why not?

Post by Mister Mr. »

djnrempel wrote:I say we call it Jesus.

Considering the amount of suggestions for Egyptian, Nordic, Hindi et. al. deities, why not good ol' J.C. himself?
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...keep the change.
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

JenHi wrote:
fbddk wrote:<ul><li><b>Gefyon</b>: fertility goddess who was sent to Sweden by Odin where she got 4 sons with a giant. She turned the sons into ox's and created Zealand by plowing soil from Sweden and leaving the big lake Vänern.

Gefyon Fountain in Copenhagen showing Gefyon plowing with the four Ox's that used to be her sons</li>

Gefyon doesn't sound very good on my tongue, maybe have you phonetics for GEFYON
because I like it :
it is female figure (and a blonde one )
it has sons as tabs in phoenix,
great foto

Phonetics - gee I'm really no expert there and having the many ways to pronounce Linux in mind I really have no idea how Gefyon is pronounced in english. But I do know how we danish people pronounce the danish word for Gefyon which is Gefion - the phonetics looks something like this <b>['ge-fion]</b> where the 'o' should be an upsidedown 'e'. That gives no "sje" or "dj" sound on the G.
JenHi

Post by JenHi »

fbddk wrote:Phonetics - gee I'm really no expert there and having the many ways to pronounce Linux in mind I really have no idea how Gefyon is pronounced in english. But I do know how we danish people pronounce the danish word for Gefyon which is Gefion - the phonetics looks something like this <b>['ge-fion]</b> where the 'o' should be an upsidedown 'e'. That gives no "sje" or "dj" sound on the G.

OK that is the way I would have pronounce it.
My experience said to me that sort of name does not fit their excellences.
Myself I have been for
Quetzalcoatl wich is a paraguayan version of Phoenix
but I have change my mind since one told me it was too hard to pronounce.
At first it hurts but it is better to know the matter we are stepping on.

Hope you will enjoy the name quest as much as I do,
though I am close to divorce because of the time I spent in library...

Just kidding :) good night
JenHi

Re: Why not?

Post by JenHi »

Mister Mr. wrote:

Considering the amount of suggestions for Egyptian, Nordic, Hindi et. al. deities, why not good ol' J.C. himself?

Well just because it is dangerous to invoke this name in vain, or not.
good deities, for software name, are dead deities, meaning with no actual church or temple.

I think there's a lot of dangerous thing to invoke in this world, anyway.

But a saint why not : St Christophe, St Madeleine
St LOUIS is also an US town, as Phoenix
wget

Post by wget »

fbddk wrote:Phonetics - gee I'm really no expert there and having the many ways to pronounce Linux in mind I really have no idea how Gefyon is pronounced in english. But I do know how we danish people pronounce the danish word for Gefyon which is Gefion - the phonetics looks something like this <b>['ge-fion]</b> where the 'o' should be an upsidedown 'e'. That gives no "sje" or "dj" sound on the G.

Gee-Fee-On should work okay. The 'Gee-' sound is a little iffy though as it doesn't quite sound like the Danish 'Ge-'. Oh well.
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
Mister Mr.

Post by Mister Mr. »

JenHi wrote:
Mister Mr. wrote:

good deities, for software name, are dead deities, meaning with no actual church or temple.

It was a joke (ok, a real bad one)

I don't want to go to hell.
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...keep the change.
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

wget wrote:

Gee-Fee-On should work okay. The 'Gee-' sound is a little iffy though as it doesn't quite sound like the Danish 'Ge-'. Oh well.

Hehe - no 'Gee' do not sound like the danish 'Ge'. The 'G' is pronounced like the 'g' in garlic - you might say a hard g.

But I tend to agree with JenHi that "...that sort of name does not fit their excellences." So Gefyon would probably be a longshot and why I also brought up <b>Websurfer</b> and <b>Zurfer</b> as possible new names.
wget

Post by wget »

fbddk wrote:The 'G' is pronounced like the 'g' in garlic - you might say a hard g.

Yeah, I guess that works better.
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

Mister Mr. wrote:

well, my feelings about Jesus are ambiguous, but the abbreviation for Phoenix I saw in this Forum, "Px", is in fact the Christian abbrev for Jesus. So in some way, it would make sense.
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

Reading the posts in the Phoenix Discussions there seems to be a consensus that Px is the Phoenix Browser.

So how about simply naming it <b>The Px Browser</b>?

Then everybody would know its a webbrowser, some would know the history of the browser and recognize it as the "old" Phoenix browser.
ehume

Post by ehume »

fbddk wrote:Reading the posts in the Phoenix Discussions there seems to be a consensus that Px is the Phoenix Browser.

Then everybody would know its a webbrowser, some would know the history of the browser and recognize it as the "old" Phoenix browser.
We've looped around this one on the "killer name" thread. It's fine for those of us who started with Phoenix, but future users will have no clue.

That's why you see suggestions for

Wowser
Athena
Ion
Newt
Tachyon

etc.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
JenHi

Yes indeed to PX

Post by JenHi »

fbddk wrote:Reading the posts in the Phoenix Discussions there seems to be a consensus that Px is the Phoenix Browser.

It had been discussed ;
- some of us knew px to be duty free shop in the Us army, though that would not be too bad.
- Blake in the first call asked for "cool, meaningful new name",
so what does px mean ?
JenHi

Post by JenHi »

Mister Mr. wrote:
JenHi wrote:
Mister Mr. wrote:

It was a joke (ok, a real bad one)

I don't want to go to hell.

Well - as_you_said_it_bad_joke - but not so bad question

Why avoid, or not, to step on one cultural environment ?
astray

Post by astray »

Well, heres a little inside info the new name is *******.

Edited by Blake 2:49pm 03/03/2003