OT: forum namethings

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
flii

OT: forum namethings

Post by flii »

i was looking between the number of mozilla posts and the number of phoenix posts, and i remembered that this forum always says i'm a "mozilla fan" or "mozilla enthusiast" or "mozilla *".

at the time i'm writing this, the number of posts for each is:
phoenix - 2744
mozilla - 826
and i'm not joking.

i'm sure on the older forums mozilla would have had more posts than phoenix since (i think) it's been around longer, but obviously phoenix fans are more active on this new forum.

think there's any way i can become a "phoenix fanatic" instead of mozilla all the time? :)

ps - like i said, this is kinda off topic, but i have never been a mozilla fan, and i like showing my support for phoenix everywhere. ;)
asa

Re: OT: forum namethings

Post by asa »

Flii wrote:i was looking between the number of mozilla posts and the number of phoenix posts, and i remembered that this forum always says i'm a "mozilla fan" or "mozilla enthusiast" or "mozilla *".

at the time i'm writing this, the number of posts for each is:
phoenix - 2744
mozilla - 826
and i'm not joking.

i'm sure on the older forums mozilla would have had more posts than phoenix since (i think) it's been around longer, but obviously phoenix fans are more active on this new forum.

think there's any way i can become a "phoenix fanatic" instead of mozilla all the time? :)

ps - like i said, this is kinda off topic, but i have never been a mozilla fan, and i like showing my support for phoenix everywhere. ;)

Phoenix was swiftly outpacing Mozilla in the older forums. In the older forums which are about 1 year old now, Mozilla topics had about 17K posts and Phoenix (which had only been around for about 6 weeks) had about 8K posts.

--Asa
flii

Post by flii »

well i for sure never said phoenix wasn't better than mozilla.... at everything. hehe. i'm glad to know so many active people are interested in phoenix.

think we'll ever get to be "phoenix fanatics" instead of "mozilla fanatics", though?
tve

Post by tve »

Flii wrote:well i for sure never said phoenix wasn't better than mozilla.... at everything. hehe. i'm glad to know so many active people are interested in phoenix.

think we'll ever get to be "phoenix fanatics" instead of "mozilla fanatics", though?

phpBB does probably have an option that lets members choose a custom member title, but it looks like if it's not enabled on on this board :|

that would be the only [easy] way this could be done, because the standard member titles ("Mozilla Fanatic" etc.) are board-wide :|
flii

Post by flii »

(pssst. just an update on numbers....)

mozilla: 1272
phoenix: 4099

actually phoenix has more than 1272 in just the general forum. :-P *recasts vote for "phoenix" fanatic instead of "mozilla" (as a dead person this time, since politicians do this all the time in the movies)*
rbrimhall

Post by rbrimhall »

well, personally I prefer Phoenix to Mozilla and as such don't use Mozilla as a browser... so, technically speaking I'm really not a mozilla fanatic, enthusiast, or whatever...
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Y'all are Mozilla Geeks; you're just not aware you are :wink: Without Mozilla you couldn't use Phoenix now. Phoenix is like... Mozilla in sportswear.
flii

Post by flii »

so then are we also major netscape fans, since we wouldn't have mozilla without netscape and no phoenix without mozilla? "beware of chain of events" says my legal environment teacher. lol. personally, i think netscape sucks. maybe the gecko core is good, but the browser itself has managed to completely alienate me. i don't like mozilla, either, because it seems to be just a more simple version of netscape.

however, i *do* like phoenix, and though i know very well where phoenix comes from, i don't hold that against the browser. ;) your statement about me being a mozilla geek was waaaaay off base. maybe even a foul. hehe.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Phoenix is Mozilla with an improved front end, not a whole new browser. Quit yer whining.

jason
flii

Post by flii »

kerz wrote:Phoenix is Mozilla with an improved front end, not a whole new browser.

is the sole purpose of all these nightly builds and new releases just to improve the interface, kerz? or are they trying to make a better browser? maybe you are right and i'm not, and phoenix only cares about being mozilla that *looks* better. i guess i wasn't expecting a comment like that from an admin.
eu/NEKE

Post by eu/NEKE »

I wonder if the K-Meleon/Galeon/Chimera ppl mind about being called Mozilla * ?

Hey since we're all fans of the Gecko rendering engine, why not say we're Gecko Fans, Gecko Enthusiasts, Gecko *
:)
djst

Post by djst »

eu/NEKE wrote:I wonder if the K-Meleon/Galeon/Chimera ppl mind about being called Mozilla * ?

Hey since we're all fans of the Gecko rendering engine, why not say we're Gecko Fans, Gecko Enthusiasts, Gecko *
:)

Or why not remove the title alltogether and make it an admin only feature.
asa

Post by asa »

Flii wrote:
kerz wrote:Phoenix is Mozilla with an improved front end, not a whole new browser.

is the sole purpose of all these nightly builds and new releases just to improve the interface, kerz? or are they trying to make a better browser? maybe you are right and i'm not, and phoenix only cares about being mozilla that *looks* better. i guess i wasn't expecting a comment like that from an admin.

Phoenix _is_ Mozilla with a vastly improved front end. Phoenix develoers do care about tryingto make a better browser. I don't quite understand how you've managed to see those as two different things.

Phoenix developers aren't hacking on the layout code. They're not hacking on the networking libraries. They're not hacking on the DOM code. They're not hacking on the style system. They're not hacking on the component object model. They're not hacking on the JavaScript engine. They're not hacking on the security and encryption libraries. They're not hacking on HTML or XML parsers. They're not hacking on string classes. They're not hacking on the image libraries.

All of that stuff works pretty well and where it doesn't will be improved by other developers. Phoenix is _front end_. If you like Phoenix then you like the Mozilla back end because Phoenix developers are pretty much just making changes to the front end.

I'm not sure what you mean by suggesting that kerz made comments you wouldn't expect from a mozillazine admin. He made a pretty accurate statement as far as I can tell.

Maybe you just misinterpreted and don't really understand how Phoenix development works. In case that is the case here's a pretty simple description: Every day there are developers making improvements and adding features to Mozilla's back end. These are not the Phoenix development team. There are also developers making improvements to Mozilla's front end. These also are not the Phoenix development team. The Phoenix development team takes all of the Mozilla back end changes and few or none of the Mozilla front end changes. The Phoenix developers build the Phoenix front end on top of the Mozilla back end. Think of it like this. Code lives in cvs in directories called modules. There's a directory for almost all of the back end code modules I mentioned above. Then there are a couple of directories that contain all of the Mozilla front end. Add all of that together and you get the Mozilla application suite. Phoenix substitutes those two Mozilla front end directories with two new Phoenix front end directories and when you add it all up you have the Phoenix browser.

Kerz said "Phoenix is Mozilla with an improved front end, not a whole new browser." Knowing what you do now about how Phoenix is developed does this make more sense. If it doesn't then you haven't really digested how Phoenix is built.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
Flii wrote:

Phoenix _is_ Mozilla with a vastly improved front end. Phoenix develoers do care about tryingto make a better browser. I don't quite understand how you've managed to see those as two different things.
[...]
Kerz said "Phoenix is Mozilla with an improved front end, not a whole new browser." Knowing what you do now about how Phoenix is developed does this make more sense. If it doesn't then you haven't really digested how Phoenix is built.

--Asa

Not that <i>I'm</i> having any problems understanding this, but the release notes FAQ says "Second, it's not Mozilla. It's backed by mozilla.org, sure, but with each milestone you'll see it further diverge from Mozilla". Maybe that should be rephrased?
asa

Post by asa »

djst wrote:
asa wrote:
Flii wrote:

[...]

--Asa

Not that <i>I'm</i> having any problems understanding this, but the release notes FAQ says "Second, it's not Mozilla. It's backed by mozilla.org, sure, but with each milestone you'll see it further diverge from Mozilla". Maybe that should be rephrased?

There's nothing inaccurate about that. Phoenix isn't Mozilla. It's a different project/product. It will continue to diverge in look and feel from Mozilla over time. All or almost all of that divergence is in the front end. AOL 8 for Mac OS isn't Mozilla either. It uses almost all of the backend I mentioned above. OEOne's HomeBase isn't Mozilla either, except that it uses all of the Mozilla back end and even much of the Mozilla front end. I don't see any inconsistencies here.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961