Help?! Error Console Automatically Opens

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
amadib

Help?! Error Console Automatically Opens

Post by amadib »

Hello,

I have been searching for quite some time attempting to disable the error console from automatically opening. I have tried several tweaks, among them:

Downloading
console squared extension
firebug extension
web developers extension
viewing about:config

I am out of ideas and find it quite frustrating that everytime I open the browser, the error console appears and cannot find anyway of suppressing it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
smsmith

Re: Help?! Error Console Automatically Opens

Post by smsmith »

Most likely being caused by the Console Squared extension. Check the option for that extension to see if there is an option for opening the error console on program open.

If you don't need the error console, you could always just disable that extension.

It could also be a combination of extensions causing this. Try disabling the other extensions one at a time, restarting in between to see.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Grist

Post by Grist »

Tools > Web Developer > Options > Options > Miscellaneous > Warnings & Errors
amadib

Post by amadib »

Thank you both for your replies.

Unfortunately both of your suggestions did not solve the problem.

@smsmith
I attempted to rid myself of error console by downloading extensions to handle the process, but my efforts were in vain. I attempted this solution this only after I disabled all my extensions and realized that my solution was not fixed.

@Grist
I also tried to disable all the notifications.

:/ I'm all out of ideas....Any suggestions are welcomed.
mrag

Post by mrag »

I'm having the same problem with the Error Console popping up. According to Chris Pederick's Forum, his Web Developer is not the cause. My Error Console problem was there and I never had any options checked. I can't be certain, but I think this issue started shortly after installing "FireShot" ( a screen capture utility) and CSSviewer. It is getting very annoying-how annoying-almost enough to switch to Maxthon.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

mrag - Have you tried safe mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode If it does not happen your guess about the extensions is correct.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mrag

Post by mrag »

Well, my fingers are crossed for now. I tried the "Safe" start (thanks for that tip!) and disabled my add ons. No error console. Restarted (Vista) system, error console back again. I then started uninstalling:
FireShot...still got Error Console (EC)
CSSviewer....still got EC
FireGestures...NO MORE EC (so far)

I haven't had time to go back and reinstall FireShot, Cssviewer. Do note that I also had "Mouse Gesture Redox 2.0.2 in add-0ns. It's still early, but I'm hopeful-will report back. Thank you.
luke99

Post by luke99 »

Had the same problem - it was the Mouse Gestures Redox 2.0.2 addon causing it if anyone else experiences this :?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I use FireGestures, and I do not get the Error Console opening whenever I open Firefox. It might be a conflict with one of your other extensions.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
mrag

Post by mrag »

So far (day two), I've not seen another Error Console pop up since REMOVING FireGestures (and reinstalling FireShot). I still have Mouse Gesture Redox 2.0.2 installed. My guess is these two gesture programs do not get along. If you have only one (either one), you should be doing fine, if you have both installed though, then you have a real problem. I do not recall any real differences between the two gesture programs (Maybe FireGesture leaves a red line showing your direction?). When I feel the urge, I might delete Mouse Gestures and try FireGestures again. The error console business was not fun, but much thanks to LoudNoise and this Forum for the suggestion/resolution.

Added note: in my case (Vista), I first tried disabling extensions and that did not seem to work. I had to actually uninstall the extension. I uninstalled FireGestures first simply because it was higher in my list-no other reason. I also have an "all in one (mouse) gestures" add on on another (XP) PC. It does not have the problem, but it is the only "gesture" add on I'm using there. In general, I think it might be a good idea to be careful or observant about multiple add ons that do "almost the same thing."

(FWIW, A Google search was of no real assistance in solving this and Error Console seems a "common" issue)
amadib

Post by amadib »

Thanks mrag.

I uninstalled FireGestures just as you recommended and it seems to have solved the issue.

~madd

Post by 4711 »

FireGestures is causing the problems.

FireGestures is checking for 'incompatible' extensions (like Mouse Gestures). And if
an 'incompatible' extension is found, it will please you with the error console.
raymm

Post by raymm »

I had Fire Gestures and All In One Gestures installed and got the Error Console every time FF started.

I disabled All In One Gestures and the Error Console did not start when I restarted FF.