0.9.1 coming

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Eagle_f90

Post by Eagle_f90 »

I know this is kinda out of place but there is one bug I would like to see fixed. As it stand now when I unstaill firefox off any of my xp computers it does not remove the information from c:\documents and settings\<username>\application datat

I have been trying to open bug for this in the bug tracker but I can't get that site to load on any of my comps in any broswer. I think this is an issue that needs to be fixed. I personal would never recomend to someone installing a program that does not compleatly uninstall it's self.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

vfwlkr wrote:It might help to decouple extension manager and firefox version numbers. Extensions should only have to list which EM version they're compatible with.

I have to disagree. One of the reasons for the new extension management was the problem that the compatibility of the extension with future app releases is unknown:
Extensions incompatible between application versions break the application - when you upgrade from Application vN to Application vN+1, code changes in the application can cause extensions to stop working, however the extensions are still loaded despite unknown compatibility.
Goals: ... To prevent outdated extensions from breaking the application.
http://www.bengoodger.com/software/mb/extensions/extensions.html
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

Ok so is this a reasonable scenario of what will happen:

0.9.1 is released.
I get the update notification in 0.9.
I update to 0.9.1.
My extensions are disabled because they are not compatible with 0.9.1.
My extensions get updated on update.mozilla.org.
I get update notices for my extensions and I can update them and then use them in 0.9.1

Because I can live with this. I think most people that are not too disgruntled with 0.9 would wait to upgrade their browser until their extensions are upgraded too. I would because my 0.9 is running fine.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

Alpine wrote:
aebrahim wrote:Ben, we should really consider fixing bug 246078 as well for 0.9.1. Delaying the release by an extra day won't hurt, but fixing the bug that often prevents Firefox from registering itself as the default browser will allow me to recommend Firefox 0.9.1 to others in good conscience. I couldn't do this with 0.9, entirely because of bug 246078.

I think this bug was fixed with a simple registry edit. I found a view comments (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246078) about it, deleted the specified key, and it worked fine after that....

Er, yes. But the point is that it should work on its own, without users having to edit their registry, isn't it?
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

polidobj wrote:My extensions get updated on update.mozilla.org.
I get update notices for my extensions and I can update them and then use them in 0.9.1
Updating extensions doesn't work yet.
So it's more like: your extensions are disabled. You open the extension manager, enable them again and restart Firefox. That works. But you can't install new extensions which are not compatible with 0.9.1.

A hacky workaround is to save the new (but incompatible) extension to disk, open it (it's a zip file, only named .xpi), extract install.rdf, modify that file so that "maxVersion" says 0.9.1+ instead of 0.9, and put the modified install.rdf back in the zip file. Then drag the extension to the extension manager to install it.
deathtok

Post by deathtok »

any chance of fixing the java "confirmation button" bugs? the boxes worked in the official 0.8 release but not in 0.9rc, official 0.9, or any since. makes some java apps, especially aolmail tough to use.

<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246235">Bug 246235</a>
raananb

Post by raananb »

Steffen wrote:
polidobj wrote:My extensions get updated on update.mozilla.org.
Updating extensions doesn't work yet.
So it's more like: your extensions are disabled. You open the extension manager, enable them again and restart Firefox. That works. But you can't install new extensions which are not compatible with 0.9.1.

A hacky workaround is to save the new (but incompatible) extension to disk, open it (it's a zip file, only named .xpi), extract install.rdf, modify that file so that "maxVersion" says 0.9.1+ instead of 0.9, and put the modified install.rdf back in the zip file. Then drag the extension to the extension manager to install it.

What makes old extensions likely to work when enabled again?
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

raananb wrote:What makes old extensions likely to work when enabled again?

Disabling old extensions is a safety measure. In combination with the extension update mechanism, it should ensure that Firefox will not break because of incompatibilities.
But the user has the final word. The extension manager allows him to reenable the old extensions if he wants to take the risk.
Quark

Post by Quark »

raananb: They are only disabled because of a presumed incompatibility with the current version. Most of the time, extensions work with a new version of Firefox. It's only the few times that they don't work that cause the severe problems (I.E TBE and Firefox 0.8). So re-enabling them is kind of a "most likely work, but do so at your own risk" type thing. Besides, if someone re-enables an extension and then Firefox fails to load, they know it's the extensions fault, right?
ehume

Post by ehume »

One way to dodge all problems with extensions and themes is to put this line in user.js:

user_pref("app.version", "0.9.0");

Also, a question for Ben:

Will the theme change as of 2004-06-21 affecting secure pages be in the 0.9.1 release?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Steffen wrote:
yglodt wrote:For 0.9 users, will 0.9.1 be available through the "Software Update" functionality?

That depends on Ben bumping the pref "app.version" to 0.9.1 and someone uploading a http://update.mozilla.org/update.rdf. Users of Firefox 0.9, 0.9.0+ aviary branch builds and 0.8.0+ trunk builds would then get the update notification. A click on the update button leads them to the Firefox product page.

I'm pretty sure Ben will do that as it's a great opportunity to test the new Software Update feature.

So, the answer is...?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

polidobj wrote:Ok so is this a reasonable scenario of what will happen:

0.9.1 is released.
I get the update notification in 0.9.
I update to 0.9.1.
My extensions are disabled because they are not compatible with 0.9.1.
My extensions get updated on update.mozilla.org.

Because I can live with this. I think most people that are not too disgruntled with 0.9 would wait to upgrade their browser until their extensions are upgraded too. I would because my 0.9 is running fine.

Yeah, but if your extensions get disabled, does that also disable your ability to update them?

Kinda a Catch-22.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

sasquatch wrote:
Steffen wrote:
yglodt wrote:For 0.9 users, will 0.9.1 be available through the "Software Update" functionality?

I'm pretty sure Ben will do that

So, the answer is...?

Steffen answered - he's said he's pretty sure that Ben will do it. I would also imagine that he will. But only Ben (or another Firefox developer) can give a definite answer about their future decision.

sasquatch wrote:Yeah, but if your extensions get disabled, does that also disable your ability to update them?

No (at least it's not supposed to)
Last edited by michaell522 on June 24th, 2004, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

sasquatch wrote:So, the answer is...?
The answer is: Most likely yes. ;-)
Try to get an answer from Ben if you can't wait.

sasquatch wrote:Yeah, but if your extensions get disabled, does that also disable your ability to update them?
No. On starting a new release of Firefox the first time, you get a dialog informing you which extensions and themes were disabled. It also provides an update button.
Besides, disabled extensions are still listed in the extension manager and can be updated by clicking the update button.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Steffen wrote:
sasquatch wrote:So, the answer is...?
The answer is: Most likely yes. ;-)
Try to get an answer from Ben if you can't wait.

I was.