0.9.1 coming

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

I uninstalled 0.9 before installing 0.9.1 and I used the same profile from 0.9. Works perfectly.
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
scratch

Post by scratch »

uninstall the program, keep the profile.
raananb

Post by raananb »

Thumper wrote:
raananb wrote:If a new version of FF or TB is released, it should be up to the Quality Assurance of Mozilla to test the extensions which worked in the previous release, mark those which became incompatible as incompatible in the extension list and signal them to their developers.

Welcome to the world of open source. QA testing is considerably more expedient if performed by El Community.

- Chris

Maybe so, but a rule must be established for official releases for the system to work.

Forward registration (next major release) evidently defeats the EM design, and should not be supported, otherwise there is no point in checking anything.

If QA by Mozilla is an not acceptable solution, then the EM should check that the max version is not beyond the latest version of FF or TB, and disallow installation if it is. The line user_pref("app.version", "0.9.0"); should be neutralized in the officila releases.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

raananb wrote:Forward registration (next major release) evidently defeats the EM design, and should not be supported, otherwise there is no point in checking anything.

If QA by Mozilla is an not acceptable solution, then the EM should check that the max version is not beyond the latest version of FF or TB, and disallow installation if it is.

Well that doesn't really make sense for the EM. The EM in 0.9 knows that 0.9 is the latest version, but it doesn't know when future releases will happen.

The checking is happening at update.mozilla.org - extensions with max versions beyond the latest version aren't accepted.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

michaell wrote:The checking is happening at update.mozilla.org - extensions with max versions beyond the latest version aren't accepted.

Human nature being what it is, there is a high likelihood that extension/theme designers will opt to set the higher version number and not worry about keeping update.mozilla.org accurate, especially if it turns out that most of the time there is no code change required for compatability, as I suspect will be the case.

Having to re-version and repackage at every dot release will become so tedious that the designers will just opt out of hosting their stuff on update.mozilla.org, I predict.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

michaell wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Steffen wrote:
yglodt wrote:For 0.9 users, will 0.9.1 be available through the "Software Update" functionality?

I'm pretty sure Ben will do that

So, the answer is...?

Steffen answered - he's said he's pretty sure that Ben will do it. I would also imagine that he will. But only Ben (or another Firefox developer) can give a definite answer about their future decision.

sasquatch wrote:Yeah, but if your extensions get disabled, does that also disable your ability to update them?

No (at least it's not supposed to)

Just getting back from vacation.

What were the answers to these?

VERY curious.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

michaell wrote:While it's true that the necessary update service on update.mozilla.org isn't running, even it was, download manager tweak wouldn't be available. Only official packages submitted by the author can go on the official update site, to avoid confusion between unofficial and official versions.

(Actually download manager tweak was up there for a while, before it was realised that it was not official and taken down).

I thought d.m.t. IS an official "project" of mozilla.

???
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

raananb wrote:Double post due to server error. Sorry.

Too bad it doesn't allow deleting of posts!
wrprice

Post by wrprice »

It allows deleting of the LAST post of the thread by the last post's author. You have to choose "edit" and then there's a checkbox for deleting the post. Unfortunately, this post now keeps you from deleting any of your previous ones.

I can delete this post (until someone else posts below me).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050523 Firefox/1.0+
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

wrprice wrote:It allows deleting of the LAST post of the thread by the last post's author. You have to choose "edit" and then there's a checkbox for deleting the post. Unfortunately, this post now keeps you from deleting any of your previous ones.

I can delete this post (until someone else posts below me).

Like I said, "Too bad...".

;-)

Anybody have an answer for my questions from the 6th?

Thanks.