Cookie management

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ostrich

Cookie management

Post by Ostrich »

Is there a way to specify (using Phoenix 0.4) sites which are able to always set permanent cookies? Right now I'm happy with the majority of the sites I go to being able to only set cookies for the duration of my session, but some sites (for instance, Google) I want to be able to store my preferences.

Thanks in advance.
flii

Post by flii »

maybe the option you're looking for is: tools-> preferences -> privacy -> "manage cookies" button. as you get rid of cookies you don't want, you can make it so those sites can't put cookies on your computer again by having that checkbox at the bottom selected. hopefully that's what you meant. :) (i'm using a more current nightly than the .4 release, so if you don't see it, that's probably why.)
Ostrich

Post by Ostrich »

<blockquote><i>
maybe the option you're looking for is: tools-> preferences -> privacy -> "manage cookies"
</i>
</blockquote>

Unfortunately, no. I'm looking for the reverse - the ability to have a cookie "whitelist" for the few sites I actually want to be able to set permanent (rather than session-only) cookies.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Chris
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I'm right with you, Ostrich. I want a whitelist, a blacklist, and everyone else I want to accept then toss at the end of a session. Someone said that IE6 actually does the best job with this, but I'm not going there. Just hoping that Phoenix catches up with that.
Faux Pass

What I'd like in a cookie manager

Post by Faux Pass »

I'd like to set Phoenix so that it accepts all cookies, and then throws out cookies that aren't on my whitelist at the end of each session. (Oops. I see you've already said that, thenightfly42)

I would also like to see the "Cookie Sites" table organized alphabetically from top-level domain downwards(<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142179">142179</a>). Say I've been browsing banking sites, refusing all of their cookies, then later decide to be a customer of mybank.com. I now have to trawl through my Cookie Sites table and find not just "www.mybank.com" and "mybank.com" but also mybank's strange domain names: "cgi.mybank.com", "us.mybank.com", "foo.mybank.com". Having done this a number of times, let me assure you it is a PITA.

What would really be great is cookie wildcards: "Accept cookies from *.mybank.com." 'Course, then people would probably do stupid things like: "Accept cookies from *.yahoo.*", so there would have to be limitations.
emvious

Post by emvious »

See bug 75915.
Better yet, vote for it. This is the main reason why I don't use Phoenix/Mozilla more.