Google tip: "In most browsers you can just hit the retu

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
calvinweb

Google tip: "In most browsers you can just hit the retu

Post by calvinweb »

Does this happen to you also ? when in google and phoenix/firebird, do a search and hit the return key. When the result page displays, it says near the top:
Tip: In most browsers you can just hit the return key instead of clicking on the search button.

The URL is something like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... gle+Search

Is this a feature or a bug ? should someone tell google that their code is IE specific ?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030319 Phoenix/0.5
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

I'm not sure what your talking about that is IE specific. But that tip is reffering to if you accually go to the google homepage and type your search into their search box (but who whould do that :P) you don't need to hit the search button to start the search.
calvinweb

Post by calvinweb »

Bushwack wrote:I'm not sure what your talking about that is IE specific. But that tip is reffering to if you accually go to the google homepage and type your search into their search box (but who whould do that :P) you don't need to hit the search button to start the search.

Exactly my point. I hit the return key and the message appears, as if I had pressed the "Search" button.

This doesn't happen in IE, Netscape 7, and in Mozilla 1.3.
pinku

Post by pinku »

i dont know what ur talking coz i went to google.com and hit return and well i also did search frm search bar and i didnt get the tip both the times...

My build is 3/20
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030320 Phoenix/0.5
Path to Sucess is plain and simple, Err,err and err again, Less, less and less each time
MozSaysAloha

Post by MozSaysAloha »

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for, but pressing the enter key instead of the search button has worked in Mozilla Firebird™ for ages as well as MSIE.
"Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life." - Gospel of Thomas, Saying 58
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

Pressing enter submits the form just like pressing the submit button.

Google cannot tell which way you submited your form because it gets the same data both ways from you.
cdn

Post by cdn »

if you click some submit buttons, the x and y of the hit point are passed
Last edited by cdn on April 21st, 2003, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

Oh. Hmm I did not know that.
shtum

Post by shtum »

calvinweb, i know exactly what you're talking about, and it happens to me too.
i assume it's something to do with the information firebird is sending. as cdn points out, the existance of returned mouse co-ords could be how google is determining if the button was clicked or the enter key was pressed. if this is the case, maybe firebird is sending mouse co-ords either way.

pinku wrote:
i dont know what ur talking coz i went to google.com and hit return and well i also did search frm search bar and i didnt get the tip both the times...
My build is 3/20

yeh, i could have sworn this didn't start happening until recently. i'm using an early april build, what about you calvinweb?
shtum

Post by shtum »

actually, i see its the existance of the "btnG=Google+Search" bit in the address which causes the tip to appear.
in IE, pressing enter gives this link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=firebird&meta=
while in (at least my build of) firebird, pressing enter and pressing the button both give this link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=firebird&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

why this happens im not sure
calvinweb

Post by calvinweb »

shtum wrote:calvinweb, i know exactly what you're talking about, and it happens to me too.
yeh, i could have sworn this didn't start happening until recently. i'm using an early april build, what about you calvinweb?

Well it's always good to know you're not alone ;-) That's exactly what I'm getting, shtum.

I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030319 Phoenix/0.5 in Windows 2000.

But it has happened before with other builds.

This happens with Opera 6.04 but not with Netscape 4.0
vinnie97

Post by vinnie97 »

I can report the same behavior, but it's not bothersome. There are more pressing matters like pages (http://netscape.feedroom.com ) whose javascript/wmp9 features are either not recognized or fail to load.
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

I think google just puts thoughs tips up at random, I tried searching google :P but couldn't find any information on this so I could be wrong.
x-wes

My 2 Cents…

Post by x-wes »

Looking at Cdn’s comments above, I became slightly skeptical. What if the user were to resize his or her window? The (x, y) coordinates would be in quite a mess.

Looking through the source for Google, I didn’t find any script code that could perform this task. The only script code that is present simply puts the focus of the page onto the text-entry field (so that you can type your search immediately after loading the page, without having to click inside the box). However, another possibility becomes slightly more apparent.

The text entry box’s code is simple:

Code: Select all

<input maxLength=256 size=55 name=q value="">

As is the code for the “Google Search” button:

Code: Select all

<input type=submit value="Google Search" name=btnG>

In other web browsers, pressing Enter causes the entire form to be submitted immdiately. As for Phoenix 0.5+, pressing Enter causes the first submit button to be pushed on your behalf. I do not know which of these behaviours is correct. After checking the HTML 4.01 Specification, I still have no clue. Perhaps if somebody with HTML forms experience could give a little enlightenment?
cdn

Post by cdn »

I think that the x,y coords are specific to <input type="image" /> when used for submit

the x and y are not for the window, but for the click point on the button