Setup/Install

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
siegfried

Setup/Install

Post by siegfried »

Hi,

out of a discussion at [url="http://www.robertnyman.com/2008/11/25/poll-do-you-use-access-keys/"]Robert Nymans Blog[/url] came up this idea:

Since almost all browser users do not know their browser, and how to set it up, or even, that there exists some setup, create a "guided setup tour" leading through all those quirks, maybe focussing on accessibility issues. This guided tour could pop up 1. when you first install the browser an 2. every time a major upgrade takes place (so f.ex. from version 3.x to version 4.0).

I'm slightly visually impaired and need large fonts (24px). I know what to do, but many people do not know what to do or even that there simply exists something you can do. I know of a man needing a font size of 72px + a magnifier to read anything on the screen, but he did not know that there exists something like a default font size. He was very surprised when told that. So i have concrete ideas what this guided tour should do regarding font size issues. But of course there is more than that. Maybe there are people out there with other problems/disabilities which know what to do and like to share that knowledge? And maybe the developer team is willing to create such a guided tour?

Regards
Siegfried
steviex

Re: Setup/Install

Post by steviex »

Hmm.. I'd have a word with the guys on this site.... http://www.accessfirefox.org/

They might already have what you need. However I would think that they would welcome suggestions to enhance what they do, and of course, they would value any additional assistance...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
siegfried

Re: Setup/Install

Post by siegfried »

Good input, useful link. But the trick is: Nobody knows about that. Why should anybody navigate to this link if he does not know that there exists something like accessibility features?

So the idea is to include this into a setup which automatically pops up when firefox ist first used or a major upgrade is made.

For creating such a tour the contents of these pages could indeed be very useful.