Bookmarks Bar Finito?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
TisHerself

Bookmarks Bar Finito?

Post by TisHerself »

I really liked being able to access my most-used bookmark via having them lined up across the top of the page.

Is this ability gone forever? :( :( :(

The sidebar option just takes up too much real estate on my screen and I dislike seeing ALL those bookmarks ... some of which I rarely use.

I'm finding this new 'look' to be not to my liking at all ... even customizing with Themes and adding other bells and whistles can't make up for the lack of functionality by having the Bookmarks Bar readily available.

Any chance is will be brought back as an option?
smsmith

Re: Bookmarks Bar Finito?

Post by smsmith »

View -> Toolbars. Make sure Bookmarks Toolbar is checked.

Or, right click empty space on your toolbar, and make sure Bookmarks Toolbar is checked.

Or, click the menu button, choose Customize. In the lower left of the customize tab, click the Toolbars menubutton and make sure that Bookmarks Toolbar is turned on.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
TisHerself

Post by TisHerself »

Thanks for the reply.

The Bookmarks Toolbar IS checked ... but the individual bookmarks themselves do not populate along the bar, as they did before the most recent round of upgrades.

I did a comparison screenshot but am not seeing any way to attach it to this post.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article to post a screen shot to the forums -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

If you look under Bookmarks->Bookmarks Toolbar do the folders and/or web sites show there?
TisHerself

Post by TisHerself »

That seems like a lot of bother to post a screen shot!

The answer to the questions is: No. None of the actual folders or sites show up in the Bookmarks->Bookmarks Toolbar menu.

However, the "Other Bookmarks" when selected, DO show a list of sites visited and bookmarked .... just not the important ones!
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Open Customize like I described. Make sure that "Bookmark Toolbar Items" hasn't been removed from the toolbar.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
TisHerself

Post by TisHerself »

Apologize for disappearing but things have been very crazy ... I'm preparing for a 2-week hiatus and having to put in extra hours before I leave.

At any rate = Everything that you've suggested is already in place. I've already reinstalled Firefox so I'm not sure doing so a second time is going to fix anything.

What I'm ALSO seeing is ... when I keep my Bookmarks open in the Sidebar, clicking on a bookmark doesn't always immediately take me to the URL. Some do, some don't. The ones that don't, I have to summon the contextual menu and select "go to link" in order for it to work.

Can I possibly be the only one experiencing these nuisances?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

A screen shot sure would help everybody here ... just to make sure that we are all seeing exactly what you are seeing.

You might also want to restart Firefox into safe-mode. While in safe-mode you need to move your mouse pointer to the top, right-click and then activate the bookmarks bar... did you see it appear? From you post it sounds like you are using a theme? ... maybe that theme is causing the problem?

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!