Inclusion of Seamonkey Features: Mail & Newsgroups...

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
DerVVulfman

Inclusion of Seamonkey Features: Mail & Newsgroups...

Post by DerVVulfman »

It is unfortunate, but Seamonkey itself is not being supported by many websites. Complaints of the browser being out-of-date, and security features such as Cloudflare actively blocking it. However, I have been using Seamonkey and its built-in features for quite some time, and it like Firefox originated with Mozilla itself.

Ergo, why not have these particular features integrated?
  • Mail and Newsgroups: Straight up, having your eMails in your browser without needing to go to Google Mail, AOL, Yahoo or whatnot
  • Composer: Allows HTML editing in a WYSIWYG editor
  • Address Book: A portion of the above Mail and Newsgroups wicket
  • Chatzilla: Built-in IRC system (works better than ... mibbet)
Of these, the Mail and Newsgroups would be, imho, more of a priority.

Still, the other three should warrant some attention. As to why they were never considered when Mozilla 'original' had these features, I seriously question. And yes, I worked with the browser when it still used the name Mozilla.

EDIT:
Chatzilla may be found by way of google. But the last update in that edition was updated in 2016 and not compliant with current Firefox.
Questioning Seamonkey support for various reasons now... claims its the websites when other browsers function, states users need to apply UA overrides (fixing it themselves) whilst no other browser has such need, suggests using other browsers... and closes topics when inconvenient.
DanRaisch

Re: Inclusion of Seamonkey Features: Mail & Newsgroups...

Post by DanRaisch »

Why would it be beneficial to have Firefox duplicate SeaMonkey? Firefox is only intended to be a browser and Thunderbird is an email and newsgroup application that includes address book functionality. Creating a duplicate of SeaMonkey would not be desirable.
DerVVulfman

Post by DerVVulfman »

The problem is that websites are now no longer supporting Seamonkey itself. For quite some time, roughly a year, major sites such as youtube state that the browser is out-of-date and needs updating. And the users of the Seamonkey browser are being left behind with statements, even within this forum, stating "switch to another browser" if they wish access. Even in the Seamonkey bugs board, such recommendations was said when it pertains to sites that use Cloudflare as protection.

What would be the point in continued releases of Seamonkey as it is when sites do not support it anymore.

As towards duplication, that would suggest downgrade, I am afraid at this point. However, why NOT allow the addition of these features to be 'RE' introduced to Firefox? It was a branch of the original Mozilla browser which contained these features in the first place. And one would think that having email and other services already available in one set would as desirable.

It would return it, essentially, back to the original design and intent of the Mozilla browser.
Questioning Seamonkey support for various reasons now... claims its the websites when other browsers function, states users need to apply UA overrides (fixing it themselves) whilst no other browser has such need, suggests using other browsers... and closes topics when inconvenient.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SeaMonkey can access most such sites if the user changes the UserAgent string so that the site believes it is being access by a version of Firefox. Those recommendations are also available in several threads on these forums.
It was a branch of the original Mozilla browser which contained these features in the first place.
Not so. The Suite concept was first seen in Netscape Navigator and although they share a rendering engine, I don't believe that Firefox is a spinoff of that older program.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Dan is right the original Firefox code was derived from the browser part of the suit but since then the code has diverged markedly. I doubt it would be possible now and would be easier to write a complete new Seamonkey and the resources are just not there
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DerVVulfman wrote:What would be the point in continued releases of Seamonkey as it is when sites do not support it anymore.
To put this into some sort of real world perspective, using SeaMonkey, I only need to use another browser about twice a week and have just 5 site specific user agent overrides in about:config and reckon I visit a far wider range of websites than most..all without problem.

As for Cloudflare, you said yourself that it was working for you using SeaMonkey only 2 weeks ago........... so, no, Chicken Licken, the sky is not falling just because you cannot access one login on one website for 2 weeks!

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14948221

I suggest you leave these good Firefox people alone and, in future, direct your SeaMonkey issues to the SeaMonkey forums.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DerVVulfman

Post by DerVVulfman »

Said reply in there was... Use Chrome or Firefox. Its like Mom saying "Go ask daddy." with Dad saying "Go ask mom." Both refusing.

Given that both Seamonkey and Firefox are hosted here, one would think the two would be the same good people.
frg

Post by frg »

Mozilla will not support anything but Firefox and even this one has a spotty if any future. If you want an alternate suite Vivaldi is the only alternative. Might go one day there too but till then like Frank I can use a second browser for bad sites. And we still update the code which results in more working sites over time.

FRG
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

DerVVulfman wrote:Said reply in there was... Use Chrome or Firefox. Its like Mom saying "Go ask daddy." with Dad saying "Go ask mom." Both refusing.

Given that both Seamonkey and Firefox are hosted here, one would think the two would be the same good people.
We gave you an adult answer assuming wrongly that you were mature enough to understand it
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"